It seemed like one of our QBs would have rather been golfing

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

It seemed like one of our QBs would have rather been golfing

Postby Oak Grove on Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:51 pm

I'm not one for calling out individual players on this board, but their fashion choices on the sideline are fair game, right?

Anyone else notice that Jacks sported a white-and-red Titleist cap during the first half of the UTC game? A dressed-out player accessorizing his uniform with a personal, non-team-related product—in all of my years attending Wofford football games, that was a first. Someone sitting below me shouted to him about it. I couldn’t hear what was said, but Jacks smiled broadly and mimicked a golf swing for the crowd. I noticed too that Goodson, nearly always standing beside Jacks, wore a black-and-gold Wofford cap. After halftime Jacks had switched to a gold Wofford cap.

I won’t try reading into the matter. Perhaps it was an honest oversight. All I will say is that I didn’t feel like the Titleist cap was a very good reflection of Jacks’s focus for the game, to say nothing of his team spirit.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Re: It seemed like one of our QBs would have rather been gol

Postby Ruckus on Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:12 am

I noticed his red hat but did not notice the Titleist.
I am not part of the program so I don't know but when I saw it I took it as a different hat color to differentiate who has the "hot" hand or play card signal from the sideline. Many college teams now have signal callers wearing different color hats (almost all have red, some add in green or blue). I also can't see see our budget allowing for puchases of superfluous caps like that if that was what it was.
Having watched Jacks for 3 years I have never ever seen him give anything but 110%. Never heard say anything other than team first. I also cannot imagine any of the coaches much less MA would allow something like that on the sidelines unless it serves a legit purpose.
Just my take.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocomouth on Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:07 am

The different color hats are for signal calling only. Jacks was wearing what he was told to wear.

Baylor's back up QB's used to wear blue vests. UGA's back up QBs wear yellow hats. It happens everywhere.
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:43 am

He was told to wear a Titleist cap? And actually, it was a white cap with small red lettering, so it certainly wasn't an eye-catcher. A white cap on the sideline would have been very difficult to pick out from the field. Also, as I said above, he wore a gold Wofford cap in the second half. He was signaling all the while.

Whatever. Just thought the whole thing was weird. Never seen that before.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Seems like a non issue to me. Who can say why he might have been wearing that hat, but either way it's just a hat. He was still doing his job of sending in signals and being ready to go in the game when called on.
Class of '07. GDI with very few athletic skills to speak of.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby TerrierTalk_Jordan on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:00 pm

Evan Jacks also attempted to play in the game, despite the fact that he has clearly been banged up for weeks now (since the Mercer game, at least). Seriously guys, move on. There is nothing to this. There are very few people on this team that want to win football games as badly as Evan Jacks.
TerrierTalk_Jordan
Terrier Pup

Postby lawdog on Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 pm

+1.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:56 pm

Obviously, I am alone here. I just thought that it was strange. Something I had never seen before on the Wofford sideline.

Someone above mentioned that back-up QBs at many schools wear alternate-color caps for ease of signaling. Of course, this is true. But do those yellow caps on the UGA QBs say Salt Life, And 1, or Cabela's? No, they bear the team brand (Nike) and the Georgia logo. Totally different situation from what we have here.

The 89-year-old alumnus who pushes a walker to the seat on the row behind me wears Wofford gear from head to toe. I sort of expect the members of the team to do the same thing during a game. Guess that's just me. Jacks clearly has access to a Wofford cap. He had one on his head during the second half.

I guess it wouldn't strike anyone as odd either if after all of these years of wearing Adidas Wofford caps during games, MA donned a teal-and-orange Patagonia cap at VMI. How about a green one from the Myrtle Beach Polo Club? Hey, why not? Jacks's white Titleist cap seems to have gone over well.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:11 am

Oak Grove wrote: How about a green one from the Myrtle Beach Polo Club?

Wait. Myrtle Beach has a Polo Club? I've been missing out down here.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Oak Grove on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 am

Ha! I'm dating myself here, but don't you remember the fad of the late '80s and early '90s for clothing and hats that said "Myrtle Beach Polo Club"--an ironic joke, I guess, that caught on among beachgoers. It followed the Panama Jack craze.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby tdogjaw on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:47 am

You really don't know if he has a Wofford hat or not. It's not like the program is just handing those things out. You are right, Ga players probably do wear a red or white or yellow Nike hat, but that's because Nike probably gave them the hats for free. I'm sure at Halftime coach Lang went and grabbed a hat for Jacks to wear once he realized he probably didn't have one.

And maybe if Jacks had a stipend from the NCAA he could go to the book store and buy one of those nice hats the gentleman behind you wears.. :roll:

Not trying to attack, but sometimes people compare what Wofford does with what power 5 schools do. Completely different level, with completely different circumstances (and money).
tdogjaw
Terrier Pup

Postby Oak Grove on Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am

So WL noticed that Jacks had on a Titleist cap at halftime, and instead of making adjustments on the white board, he ran upstairs and grabbed a fitted Wofford cap from his office for Jacks to wear during the second half. Interesting theory, though highly unlikely.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby tdogjaw on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:07 am

Or right across the hall from the team room where the equipment room is? Seems a little more likely, even though your hypothetical could work too. :dunno:

Either way you put it, there's bigger things to worry about than Jacks wearing a Titleist hat..
tdogjaw
Terrier Pup

Return to Football