10/24/2015 Chattanooga

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

10/24/2015 Chattanooga

Postby walliver on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Chattanooga comes to town this week, obviously as heavy favorites.
Chatty has struggled somewhat the last 2 weeks, and despite all the chatter in the now locked WCU thread, this game is winnable. But, it will be hard.
I have read about our many injuries, but actually looking down at the sidelines and realizing that there seemed to be as many injured and redshirts on the sideline as active players, I realized how bad things are. That being said, there was a plan, and if properly executed, we would likely be celebrating a victory tonight. But, 4 turnovers in one half rarely leads to victories.

What will it take to beat Chattanooga.
1) Run the triple option. Forget multiple formations and gimmicks and just plain run the option. Doing this almost brought us back today.
2) Play aggressive defense the entire game. Don't wait until we are 21 points behind.
3) No turnovers, we aren't good enough to overcome mistakes.

I gave up on the team today and wondered why we didn't send in Brad Butler to sling the ball around since I thought the game was lost early in the second half. Our defense stepped up, and Evan Jacks and the offense played hard and aggressive and almost brought us back. The team didn't give up and played like short-haired dogs until the end. The last series was a disappointment, and the last play a disaster, but that is a chronic problem with extremely poor clock management.

I wouldn't bet money on us beating the Mocs this week, but I am confident that Mike Ayers hasn't given up yet.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Re: 10/24/2015 Chattanooga

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:36 am

I don't like the results of the last two weeks anymore than anybody else on this board. I am a Wofford guy through and through and to see us lose hurts no matter the circumstance.

Are injuries and inexperience a factor? Yes. Are coaching miscues a problem? Yes. Has the players intensity level appeared to waver at times? Yes. Have our opponents done a good job scheming for us? Yes. All of the above, and a bunch more.

Last week, I almost turned the game off in disgust, but stuck through the end. This week, I never really got disgusted, but it was still hard to watch. I'll agree that the end result isn't up to traditional Wofford standards, but that doesn't make this not my school's football team. These last two weeks aren't the first or the last times I'll watch a Terrier team get thrashed or give a game away, but I am more than just a passive fan. I love Wofford and no matter what happens I will keep coming back for my guys.

I have tremendous respect for Coach Ayers. I've never personally met him, but I feel as though I know a good bit about him as a man after having followed his program for almost 25 years. I have no doubt he wants to win as much or more than any of us. When he decides it is time to retire, then I will support his decision, thank him for his years of top-notch service and hope that the new coach can match his level of success. Until that time, Coach Ayers wears the hat and carries the responsibility so he is fair game to be questioned as are his assistants, however, this is Wofford and not Georgia Southern, so I will not throw around cheap shots even if others decide that makes them feel better.

Is Wofford's football program in a good place right now? No, not at all. Will things always be like this? No, not at all. I can't tell you when the Terriers will win another game or when they will be in contention for another SoCon title, but I can tell you that there's a game next Saturday against a pretty good Chattanooga team. What I can also tell you is that a group of banged up guys are going to suit up in the colors of my alma mater to face them regardless of the odds. They may win, they may lose, but they are my team, and I will be cheering for them no matter what. Maybe that's me wearing Old Gold and Black glasses and maybe I'm being naive, but that's just how I am.

We always talk about how a Terrier will keep on fighting, no matter what, so long as there is life left in it's body. That's as important an idea now as it was when we were ranked in the top 10. Our team is very much alive in spite of today's loss and I plan to keep supporting them until there is no more life left in my body. Our College and our players and coaches deserve that no matter what anyone says.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:13 am

Uh...no comment on this game. I think y'all already know what I think of it anyway (hint: it ain't good). But I will make this promise. If Wofford can win this game, I will never post another negative thing about the program.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:44 am

I am sure the team now has the motivation and encouragement to win. Thanks, 94!
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:16 am

I like our chances. I like our chances a lot.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:44 pm

I didn't comment specifically on the game because I haven't yet read up on Chattanooga's team this year. I know they have struggled against some teams that were expected to be big wins (Mars Hill, VMI) and I know they crushed a pretty good Furman team. What I suspect is that they are good and they know it which makes them prone to overlook teams they think they are better than. If you do that too many times in the SoCon, you eventually get bitten. Is Wofford the team to deliver that bite? I'm not sure. But this is a road game for them, they know we are down and the know they beat us handily last season. I'm not calling for an upset, but I am not going to count the Terriers out either.
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:36 pm

A very very very difficult game. We will fight the fight, to what result I don't know.
If we win, it won't be a miracle.....but dang close.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:39 pm

I stayed out of the WCU game postings because I've seen down years before.

We HAVE become somewhat spoiled by past successes. Unlike large, well-funded schools with large alum bases,
Wofford can't just reload each year and repeat. Great athletes with good academics and high character aren't a
dime a dozen out there.

I would rather be associated with a Wofford program that has its ups and downs than some larger, more successful
programs that sometimes don't reflect the best in college sports.

That being said, there are some issues related to play calling and clock management that obviously need to be addressed,
and I am hopeful that there will be some progress on that in the coming weeks. I've been critical of some coaching decisions
this year, and no doubt there's room for improvement.

Either way, I'm a T-Dog to the bone, and the people with their time, sweat and effort in the program deserve our respect
and support. I may not always like the results, but that's my problem.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:44 pm

It bothers me how some of y'all seem inclined to just accept the fact that we have to have "down years" like it was as inevitable as the tides. To me, that is a defeatist attitude and it is keeping us from getting better. The people in charge just sit back and say "well, this losing doesn't seem to really bother the fans that much. They seem at peace with it." I quote the great Vince Lombardi- "Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing!"
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Fair enough- you have your opinion and are free to act on it as you see fit.

I have the same freedom.

We agree to disagree.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:42 pm

It is true that complacency is a problem and we are to some extent complacent: smart talented athletes are hard to find, we can't/won't win every year, we are due down years, the coaches have earned some lean years, etc.
But wanting to win (perhaps badly) isn't the golden ticket. It's executing and making plays in schemes that give us the best chance. It's beating the guy in front of you.
And right now, we aren't getting it done. It is not for lack of effort however.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:44 pm

GoldandBlack wrote:Fair enough- you have your opinion and are free to act on it as you see fit.

I have the same freedom.

We agree to disagree.

+1. This is America.

Just to interject some positivity into the thread, our own Jerry Richardson's Panthers, who train at our facility, are now 5-0 after a GREAT come from behind 27-23 victory on the road at Seattle!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:50 pm

woffordgrad94 wrote:I quote the great Vince Lombardi- "Winning isn't everything. It's the ONLY thing!"

That certainly applies in the pro game and at the FBS level. Most FCS programs as well, but not all. Winning is important, but the way in which you win is equally (if not more) important. Most true Wofford folks seem to understand this instinctually, but our emotions can certainly get the best of us sometimes.

The important thing to realize when we say that "Wofford is different" is that if we operated like the vast majority, then Mike Ayers wouldn't have been the head coach of the football team in 2003, much less 2015. Same goes for men's basketball as Mike Young would have never survived to see 2010 after the start he got. In both cases, patience paid off.

Will patience with the current staff pay off again, I'm not sure. No one is. Those of us that stick around will find out, I guess. Either way, I am more proud of Wofford's long view approach as opposed to the hypersensitive approach other schools take.
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Gomocs on Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Articles and info will be updated on the Mocs on our new board:

http://mocnation.yuku.com/directory

if you sign up, its free, those advertisements go away :)
Moc Nation - http://mocnation.yuku.com/directory - a site run by fans for fans of the Chattanooga Mocs
Gomocs
Junior Terrier

Postby Gomocs on Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Tickets are $27 each? Is there some code to get them cheaper?
Moc Nation - http://mocnation.yuku.com/directory - a site run by fans for fans of the Chattanooga Mocs
Gomocs
Junior Terrier

Next

Return to Football