WCU game thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

WCU game thread

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:25 pm

Not going as expected.....any thoughts on strategy for 2nd half?
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Re: WCU game thread

Postby WTFan on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:01 pm

More of the same. No words.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hobo on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:08 pm

Nothing good about any of this. Ex dot it's a beautiful day Gibbs.
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:26 pm

My thoughts:

1) It might be time to suggest the R word to Mike Ayers. And fire Wade Lang. Ayers has softened in his older age and lost some fight and passion...and that softness and lack of passion is reflected in his team and how they play now. Wade Lang is simply incompetent.
2) Our numerous injuries speaks to the fact that we are outmaned and aren't tough enough.
3) I never thought I'd see the day when I thought that Todd Interdonato was a more effective coach than Mike Ayers. But that's where we are now.
3) It is time to forget this crap and look forward to basketball. It is like a bad movie with a bad, predictable plot. From the quietness of the board, I see that many people agree with me, though they might be sacred to say it.
4) Furman, Samford, and Chattanooga are going to obliterate us. There is no use even starting a thread to talk about these gross mismatches. I don't think we beat VMI either at this point. So we aren't going to win any more games. This program is back where it was when we first went D-1, and maybe worse than that.
5) Finally, I wouldn't be surrsed if this post is deleted because too many Wofford people are uncomfortable with criticizing the program too harshly, even when it is deserving of it. They think having players that make good grades and don't break the law is enough. I don't. And whether this post is deleted or not is not going to change anything. Wofford football has problems either way.
6) Even if they tend to shrink away from physicality, Wofford people always enjoy a good debate with words. So I look forward to any rebuttals of this harsh but truthful post.
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:45 pm

You can't get a play in after a time out when the game is on the line?? That's all that needs to be said. No fault on the effort of the players. It is ALL on the sidelines.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby OlRB#3 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:50 pm

This version of Wofford Football is tough to watch. Complete 180 of where our program was a few short years ago. We need a solution!!
OlRB#3
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:04 pm

Doggone it, even after the bad play in the first half, we had a chance to tie it up. That was the worst clock management at the end I have ever seen. We wasted 1/2 the time remaining just trying to get lined-up.............aaaaaugh........#@&^%@^*#!!!

92 total plays
63 runs
9 passes

Hope some of you guys who attended the game had some peanut butter and jelly........there was a lot of toast out there in the secondary.

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDogs on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:04 pm

To the long comment above and in general:
1) The idea that torn ACLs and fractured scapulas have anything to do with mental toughness is not worth addressing.
2) If you loose 5+ starters in one year, on an already young team, you're going to struggle. Period. How many true freshman played today, in serious roles? There is a reason most redshirt.
3) When we played in the playoffs 3 consecutive years, we were loaded with talent. These players played/tried out for NFL teams: Pat illig, alvin scioneaux, kasey redfern, tommy irvin, mike niam, brenton, jared singelton, james zotto, EB, kevin thomas, and terek odom. Hardly anyone traveled as a freshman, and if they did it was for depth or to cover kicks. We were deep, expecially on OL where we replaced verterans with RS juniors. This team has 1 RS-SR on the OL, and considering that we run inside a ton, thats huge.
4) A good bit of football is the breaks you catch/don't catch. Elon in 10', at the end of the game? We had a blocked kick that went through from 40 against citadel in 12'. OT win in Chat to win the SoCon/make it to the playoffs. The pass/fumble at app in 12' that terek took to the house the clench the game? without those breaks, we never make it to places like the fargo dome. Today, we lost 4 TO's, one of which could have just as easily have been a TD and been the difference in the game. When youre not blowing people out, little breaks like that have huge implications.
5) Coach ayers can retire or not retire whenever he pleases. He could have gone to army/navy/airforce whenever he pleased after 2003 or 2012/13. Monkin went to army after leading a historically great, large program to similar outcomes as wofford. Loyalty is a huge portion of Wofford football, both ways. Lang could have been a HC easily if he wanted to make that move. You'd be suprised the things those guys gave up to stay at Wofford. I'd be hesitant to think that a great staff would jump at the chance to make salaries below what they would make anywhere else in the socon. Not to long ago, coach Ayers made the same type decisions mike young did to stay a SHD. He gets the benefit of every doubt.
ShortHairedDogs
Terrier Pup

Postby TP T-Dog on Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Not sure losing good players explains not being able to get a play in AFTER a timeout. I think Spurrier had it right. If you can't do the job anymore, it's time to step aside.
TP T-Dog
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Errors, mostly unforced, cost us the game. Cannot do that and win. http://woffordterriers.com/news/2015/10 ... 55423.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:13 pm

I agree with TP T-Dog. The situation with Mike Ayers and Wofford is much like the one with South Carolina and Spurrier. You have a couple of legendary coaches who are no longer getting the job done. USC and Spurrier parted ways, which was for the best. But USC takes football more seriously than Wofford, so I don't expect the same to happen with Ayers.

And I wasn't relating injuries to mental toughness. I was relating them to physical toughness. Many other college teams have bigger stronger faster players because they don't restrict their recruiting as much...thus the comment about how us being outmanned and not PHYSICALLY tough enough leads to injuries.

We are to the SoCon as Vanderbilt is to the SEC...I guess I might as well accept that.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:24 pm

Our TOs were the difference in the game for sure.
I can accept that but what I cannot accept is 10-15 poor mishandled snaps (they stunted their LB in the A gap all day which explains a lot of why), multiple broken plays, and the clock management at the end was embarrassing.
I thought the play calls were pretty good but we are just not executing on offense until the end. A familiar refrain.
You can't turn the ball over 3-4 times and expect your D to hold them.
Thought we made some nice adjustments on D in second half; kids played hard. They did not give up although most of us in the stands were probably ready to toss it in.
When your QB is one hit away from an ended season and still runs through contact, I don't want to hear about mental or physical toughness.
I have no confidence getting rid of any of our coaches is the answer as I have zero confidence we will make the right decision on their replacements. Be very careful what you wish for. You might just get it....and more than you bargained for.
Ayers has earned the right to do as he wishes. But the team looks very ragged to me. Injuries are an easy excuse (web have only lost one OL), ditto for inexperience. You got to get it done. We don't anymore. We will be very lucky to win 2 more this year.
Welcome to Wofford football in the post Breitemstein era.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:30 pm

Good call on us perhaps not hiring the right guy after Ayers Ruckus. As someone else mentioned last week, I would second the suggestion that Chris Miller at Spartanburg High School be given a shot. I know it's just high school, but the man's been an unquestioned winner who turned a struggling SHS team around practically overnight.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:46 pm

At this point we have to acknowledge that we aren't a playoff team this year and do all we can to look at the positive.

Today was frustrating to watch, but the team still fought hard.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:51 pm

Miller is certainly proven recruiter. All those kids who used to go to Byrnes are now ending up at SHS.
I won't discuss candidates until Coach Ayers hangs it up, whenever that may be.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football