Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Where to go from here

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:24 am

From the P&C:
"Wofford coach Mike Ayers, who has wins over six different Citadel coaches in his 28 years with the Terriers, was left to ponder the end of the longest win streak for one SoCon school over another. “We just weren’t ready,” he said. “Whether it was 16 years ago or today, they got the job done because they were the better football team.”

To me this is the problem. How and why can we not be ready for any game, much less this game? What does that say about the state of our program?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:08 am

Don't know T-dog, but we can't go on "waiting to see what happens next week", and stay mired in mediocrity. At some point someone will have to make a decision........the sooner the better, me thinks!

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:54 am

I have played sports and watched sports all my life. I love Wofford Football and MA. However, are we so blind that we can't see that this group of talented players are not reacting to MA? Does anyone think MA is coaching like his job is on the line? Looks like our basketball and baseball team is heading in the right direction. Oh well, as most of you will say, “will get them next season” or “let's don't throw in towel just yet” or “we have lots of players injured and that why we run the same old plays that never work.” I am so tired of everybody blowing out WL. MA is the head coach - he makes all the calls and should have WL on short leash. I thought the dog wags his tail, but I sorry my friends this is the case of the tail wagging the Terriers. MA is class act, but it’s time to go. WOW Chris Miller would be on my short list for replacement.

I still love WOFFORD FOOTBALL
Here a quote from Lawrence Taylor fitting for us on Saturday, “Let's go out there like a bunch of crazed dogs and have some fun.”

Note: Some of you on this blog are so soft, oh we are trying hard and our guys make straights A’s and the other team score touchdowns or I seen some of our players after the loss and they were heartbroken. THEY SHOULD BE!!!!
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:33 am

Enough negativity. Bad games happen, tough games happen, learn from them and move on. Let's look at the real picture, we are 3-1. Take out the FBS games as they are meaningless in the major scheme of things. All the goals are in front of this team, granted last Saturday was disappointing, but its 1 game. Coach Ayers and staff have not forgotten how to coach or motivate and the team isn't lost. They played bad in an environment that wouldn't allow them to be and win. OK, MOVE ON TO THE NEXT GAME. We have opportunities each week to do exactly what we planned on doing, and having 4 out of 5 at home the rest of the way, and only travelling to VMI, I love our spot still. We are beat up, that's fact, but that doesn't stop us from achieving our goals.

We didn't choose to come to Wofford because we wanted an easy road, nor did we expect anything to be handed to us. These young men are willing to lay it on the line week after week and they aren't giving up, neither will I. I believe in this staff and I MOST CERTAINLY BELIEVE IN THESE PLAYERS.

Step back from the ledges.......These young men are gong to surprise some folks.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:52 am

Note: Just because a blog is place for people to post their opinions, it does not give anyone here the right to say anything they want about someone else that posts here. People have the right to state their opinion about the players, coaches, or administration, until someone says something personal. Personally attacking someone on this forum is completely uncalled for.

I think I'll start a blog and talk about people personally on their jobs. Man you sucked today in the courtroom on that case, dang you are the worst teacher I've ever seen, you are the softest engineer in the world. Come on these are 18-23 year old "kids", playing a sport, while trying to get a degree, and very few will play beyond their last college game. It's important to keep that part in perspective. I guarantee MA or WL would say, say what you want about me, but you have no right to say whatever you want about these young men.

Most of the people that post here, haven't even met the young men they are talking about, let alone know them well, so you have no idea what's in that guy's heart. Go tell EJ Speller after losing his mother this summer, coming to campus a month later to play, and then getting hurt his first game of his senior year that he has no heart.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:20 pm

TerrierDomination wrote:I have played sports and watched sports all my life. I love Wofford Football and MA. However, are we so blind that we can't see that this group of talented players are not reacting to MA? Does anyone think MA is coaching like his job is on the line? Looks like our basketball and baseball team is heading in the right direction. Oh well, as most of you will say, “will get them next season” or “let's don't throw in towel just yet” or “we have lots of players injured and that why we run the same old plays that never work.” I am so tired of everybody blowing out WL. MA is the head coach - he makes all the calls and should have WL on short leash. I thought the dog wags his tail, but I sorry my friends this is the case of the tail wagging the Terriers. MA is class act, but it’s time to go. WOW Chris Miller would be on my short list for replacement.

I still love WOFFORD FOOTBALL
Here a quote from Lawrence Taylor fitting for us on Saturday, “Let's go out there like a bunch of crazed dogs and have some fun.”

Note: Some of you on this blog are so soft, oh we are trying hard and our guys make straights A’s and the other team score touchdowns or I seen some of our players after the loss and they were heartbroken. THEY SHOULD BE!!!!

Good post. We won't get anywhere by not telling it like it is. And I agree about too many Wofford people being "soft"
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:21 pm

RIGHT ON TN2......SPOT ON.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:59 pm

I keep seeing posts about Wofford not recruiting or having next level players on the roster. I for one believe if the players we recruit do not have aspirations or talent to at least be a NFL prospect then why are we recruiting them. This is a Division 1 program with high academic standards (like Ga Tech, Stanford, Duke, Villanova, Furman, Richmond, etc) but that doesn't mean we sacrifice building a top tier athletic program. This is not Club level football, and if we want to compete with current teams in the SoCon let alone contend for a National title, we better address our recruiting, coaching philosophies, and admissions policies.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:13 pm

I was simply referring to the number of athletes that go to the NFL in general, compared to how many play college football, not the specific guys we have.

For reference currently on an active NFL roster:

Wofford 1
Furman 2
Richmond 2
Villanova 3

And just for fun because it's hard to compare an FBS that plays in the SEC, ACCand PAC 12 and gives 20 more scholarships:
Stanford 3
Vanderbilt 6
Duke 9.

I simply meant the odds are against most guys that play anywhere in college to make the NFL, even the "big" schools. Of course Wofford should be trying to build high level programs in all sports.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:19 pm

For the record, we have had more NFL prospects in the last 5-6 years than ever before ... e.g., Bersin, Strickland, Scioneaux, and Redfern, plus Breitenstein, who richly deserved a better shot than he got. Scioneaux in particular had basically made the Chargers roster when he had the ACL injury in preseason. We have two or three legitimate prospects on the roster now, imho. And on the character and academic side, we are getting more quality in all sports than ever before, from what I can tell (and yes, it matters).
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:28 pm

Let's give them all participation trophies.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Tnterrier2 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:30 pm

Lawdog, I completely agree. I still don't see why someone hasn't picked up Redfern.

One more stat, there are almost 19,000 guys on scholarship at D 1's presently. There are only about 1,700 NFL spots yearly and obviously a lot of those jobs are filled already with vets. The odds are against most of landing an NFL roster spot. That's all I was referring to.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Wasn't trying to say anyone in particular... was just stating that I have seen that statement multiple times. I agree the statistics off making the NFL is low, and ALL of our athletes made a great lifetime decision by attending Wofford. But to place things in perspective, these athletes and coaches are here to perform at a high level, and the minute we make excuses for not winning championships and holding them accountable, we become club level. If football is just a hobby or a means to pass time then Wofford needs to re evaluate the programs. And if we as fans and Alum of Wofford are thinking FCS National Championship level football, we are going to have to pony up in financial support (Terrier Club, etc)
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football