Where to go from here

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Where to go from here

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:33 pm

The game isn't over yet, however, I think it's clear we need some adjustments.

Without beating a dead horse or being overly negative, what can we work on to turn this season around?
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Re: Where to go from here

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Since our coaches are clearly averse to change, the only things I can come up with is to drop down to play D3 with Davidson...or maybe try a few more FB dives :cry:
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:11 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:12 pm

I think that it is worth noting that this senior class could have the least amount of wins since the 2002 Senior class, Ayers's 3rd senior class (also the class that won 9 games it's senior year and was "on the upswing"

From 2003 until 2013, the only senior class to have less than 30 wins (so 7-8 wins per year, with some years better, some worse) was 2009, and we all remember how that was a year riddled with injuries, and that team if healthy probably would have reached that mark. Last year we were at 28. If we win out this year and get bounced in the first round of the playoffs, we'll be at 28.

The jury is out, maybe we put on a run and rally, make the playoffs, and go on a run. But if that doesn't happen, there's numerical evidence that we are down as a program, especially when you factor in how many sub-D1 teams we've played and how the Socon Wofford came into was probably a lot tougher than it is now.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:31 pm

I really don't know. Try to find another EB I guess.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Don't get me wrong, at this point the sky isn't falling yet. The Citadel is a very good team. How good, I couldn't tell you. I viewed them as a 6-5 or 7-4 tops team before today, and I think they are solidly that good (at the least, maybe Chuck South is just that good). My problem is that, for Wofford, we don't generally get destroyed by a team that's at approximately that level in the Socon if we're decent.

So, I can only conclude that we aren't going to be good this year. I could be wrong, we still have 5 games left on the schedule, but it's hard to say how many of them are winnable given today's performance. We have to play it one day at a time, but if we don't get at least 6 wins this year, you can't really say we've improved.

And to me, THAT is the most frustrating part. Keep in mind, this was the worst loss to an FCS opponent since App State in 2010 (43-13) and the saving grace of that team was that it won 9 games that regular season.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby watdog on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:46 pm

I went to the game and it was horrible. The coaches are not putting the good players in a position to win or make plays. Our OC needs to retire or resign. Reason 1: did not start jacks
Reason 2: play calling- the true TO was working stopped it to run up the middle. Same scrap everygame for the last 3 years. Reason 3: throw the ball it was working. Reason 4: someones time has come and gone.
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Where do we go from here? Well, I guess we get ready to play WCU next week in Gibbs. I don't think we forfeit the rest of our games.
BTW - we were as bad today as I have seen us since '09 in all phases. Dominated in all phases.
If you have been paying attention, Cid has been really coming on: hiring Houston, out recruiting us for players, really pouring it on in term of support. What have we been doing?
Cid's rise and our mediocrity are not a surprises to me. Been saying it for at least several years. We have good kids who work hard. We just aren't very good. No dominant athletes at any position. We aren't bad (although we played that way today) but we aren't very good either.
See y'all next week where maybe we can get a win. If not, well, we will try again the next week and the week after that and so on. Does it really matter? Heck, we're Wofford. The world is ours....or some thing like that.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:52 pm

"it's your world"
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierbobII on Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:53 pm

I haven't felt this way about a loss in years. The biggest surprise to me was our defense. Strange, unsettling territory.
TerrierbobII
Junior Terrier

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Start by watching what Navy is doing right now against ND... That is what the triple option is supposed to look like.
Last edited by T-Dog 4 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:40 pm

It's time for a lot of soul searching. The thing that is most bothersome is that our coaches are making bad decisions that are obvious to the casual fan. 1) Starting the wrong QB over and over 2) Being the most predictable offense being played 3) Using a "hit and roll" punter in the slop. All of these are so obvious to everyone who follows. Is it time to make a change? Don't know, but it is much more of a question than it was at the beginning of the season. I know we have lots of injuries, but these things have nothing to do with that. If everyone we play is going to stack the box let's get out of it and go wide and deep. Surely someone can kick the ball 35 yards on a punt. This is embarrassing, and it's not Wofford football. STUPID is not what we represent.
As for the season, it looks as if Chattanooga is head and shoulders above the rest, and we are mired in the pack. We can play well and win 3-4 or we can roll over. The Big South is once again way ahead of the SoCon, it appears. Coastal is not what the rankings say, but there is strength in their conference-something you probably can't say about ours. Philosophically I think we have lots of questions. Our AD and Head Football coach are aging, and the world of college football is changing. That's a tough combination. We've always seemed to come up with the rabbit when we have reached into the hat. I hope there's another one in there!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:18 pm

1) The Quarterback situation has gotten out of hand. Brandon Goodson is apparently OK to start, but not to come in in relief? Jacks is the go-to guy, but not good enough to start? Of course in the one game he did start we went three-and-out on our first possession. I have come to the conclusion that our first two series of every game are the old "hunt and peck" to see what the defense will give us. Our play calling is reactive to what the defense shows. The classic Wofford offenses took the game to the defense - we have the same OC, what happened?

Brandon Goodson and Evan Jacks are not the problem, they are doing as they are told. We can lament EB's graduation, but Lorenzo Long is NOT chopped liver, he is a talented runner who has kept us in games this year.

2) The defense has had great moments, but also weak areas. Maybe it is fatigue playing a role.

Where do we go from here? It is easy to blame Wade Lang for all of this, but Mike Ayers is either involved in, or at least tolerating, this offensive mess.
My suggestions:
1) Name the QB starter NOW. If Jacks is questionable, then say so, but don't wait until Friday night or Saturday morning to make any announcement.
2) If he is healthy, start Jacks. I don't know what goes on in practice, but I have seen what goes on during the games. If Goodson or Butler has earned playing time, let them relieve Jacks in the second quarter. Having Goodson hand off up the middle for three-and-outs is not going to build up his confidence, especially when he knows he will be pulled from the game and likely never return.
3) Have an offensive plan. Decide what we are going to do and challenge the offense to accomplish that. None of this hunt-and-peck and see what the defense gives us nonsense. If we are going to return to our TO roots, practice the TO over-and-over again, until everybody gets it right.

Unfortunately, most of our problems have been chronic. In just about every game for the last 10 years, we have wasted 2-3 timeouts because our OC can't decide what play to call and get it down to the field. Our QB situation has been in constant flux ever since Mitch Allen graduated. Multiple offensive players have chosen not to come back for their 5th year; maybe they all have legitimate reasons, but this has been a relatively new issue.

WCU had to come back in the last minute to beat Mercer (Mercer missed a game-tying field goal at the buzzer). This is a winnable game, at home, hopefully on a dry sunny field. To win, we need to come out with a plan to win, start the best available QB, and hit hard.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby watdog on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:51 pm

I think W L needs to get his butt on the sidelines and have someone else calling plays in the box. That way he can see that we are getting our arse kicked up close
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:42 pm

After clearing my heart and soul for a couple of days before posting, and thinking about the El Cid game, there were so many things that went wrong there, it defies logic. The win at Mercer was a hard fought battle, and we had some breaks, but the team never looked outgunned or bewildered. The 3 inexcusable TOs were a definite early sign that the coaching staff was in its usual confused state. We threw the ball pretty well, and #19 was a star (caught everything thrown at him). The "real" triple option worked on occasion, but the number of FB dives was pitiful. The O line got smacked like a red-headed-stepchild, and I don't know who those guys on D were. Everybody out there just looked confused, and the body language said it all.

And that goes to leadership! If the worker bees lose confidence in the "queen" bee, the hive won't produce. I've seen MA berate kids coming off the field for messing-up, but does he go after the coaching staff just as passionately? You can give all the impassioned speeches you want, but if the troops aren't buying it, you're done. Our guys are just as good as their guys, the difference is believing in those leading the charge..........just my opinion.

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em" Just heard, "The ole ball coach" just resigned. A loss for football in the South!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football