New Spartanburg High School

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: New Spartanburg High School

Postby crabbyterrier on Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:17 pm

And they will have a new stadium! All scheduled to be occupied in 2019!!!

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Fantastic news! It will be nice to see us able to "Wofford-ize" Gibbs Stadium without worrying about what Spartanburg High thinks.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:48 pm

There is so much liability in having Spartanburg high football games on campus. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but whenever there's a game (speaking as a student), the number of student car break-ins go up. Perhaps that's just anecdotal, but that's something I "hear from a guy who hears from a guy who hears from campus safety"
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:05 am

deleted
Last edited by woffordgrad94 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:10 am

It's always been that way. When I was at Wofford and we happened to be on campus for a Spartan High game on a Feoday night, our coaching staff gave us warnings about it. SHS v Gaffney, we were forbidden to go to the game. True story.
As far as WoCo goes, we need the money. Pure and simple.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocomouth on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:12 am

Easy on the bashing of Spartan High. Quite a few Wofford faculty, staff, and administration have kids that attend SHS and I don't think you would call them thugs. Additionally, Wofford probably has more students from SHS than any other high school. Not sure those kids (some of whom played football or other sports there) are thugs either. Every high school has their bad apples.

Some of you guys need to really think about what you post before you hit submit
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:55 am

My post was directed at the on campus issues with Spartan high, particularly the Gaffney game. In no way did I mean to suggest Spartan high is any different than any other school and was not endorsing the "thug central" opinion.
But the issues are real and remain none the less. Let's not put our heads in the sand either.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:02 am

woffordgrad94, I have been a member of this site for many years and follow it on a consistent basis, but rarely post. God willing, my son will be able to attend SHS. Go to the District 7 website and read about the awards and accomplishments the school has been granted outside of the athletic programs. Yes, every school has issues with students. Your sweeping comment regarding it being "thug central" is uneducated. You obviously did not get the same education at Wofford as I did.

Regarding the topic at hand, I have been preaching the move to the old Lan Yair Golf Course for years. The current location is land locked with no chance for expansion and no ability to support a stadium and parking of their own. I am happy to see the move. I am not sure what impact it will have on Wofford financially, but I do understand that there will be one. It will be nice to have a field, stadium, and locker rooms that we can truly call our own. And yes, it is an increased measure of security when you have multiple events (that are not affiliated with the college) a year that bring large groups of people on campus when students are there.
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:45 am

woffordgrad94 wrote:
youngterrier wrote:There is so much liability in having Spartanburg high football games on campus. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but whenever there's a game (speaking as a student), the number of student car break-ins go up. Perhaps that's just anecdotal, but that's something I "hear from a guy who hears from a guy who hears from campus safety"

Concerning the break-ins, It is not just coincidence. SHS is thug central. I think these games put Wofford students at risk. Have you seen some of the people that come on campus for these games? Wofford should be thrilled to be ending their asssociation with this school.

There was also a murder associated with a game about 10-15 years ago on a sidewalk adjacent to campus.

I graduated SHS in 1978. The main problem with football games is not the fans attending the games, but rather the people who come and hang out around the stadium. Gangs have become an issue with a lot of South Carolina high schools.

Losing SHS may cause some financial hardships, but there will also be a lot less maintenance on the field.

The Lan-Yair location is somewhat unusual as it is located on the periphery of the district. But it at least gets the school out of a residential neighborhood and will cut down on the cut-through traffic through Converse Heights.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrier06 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:20 am

walliver wrote:There was also a murder associated with a game about 10-15 years ago on a sidewalk adjacent to campus.

I watched them take away the body bag from a dorm on Evins: I believe it was my junior or senior year (memory gets fuzzy from SO long ago :D ).

My take is something like this: there are LOTs of really good students and things about SHS. And there's a significant amount of bad things and students at SHS. It's not "thug central" though (implying that MOST of SHS folks are thugs) but there IS a sizeable contingent of thugs at SHS (like many large schools). It's important NOT to overgeneralize but also to recognize the real problems that exist. Football can exacerbate the problems--especially when you throw in a rival like Gaffney.

I'm also glad to see SHS go: it's tradition and it goes back a long way. But those aren't good enough reasons (plus whatever the rent is) to put the burden on campus safety and unnecessary risk that comes with those games. (And I think that sort of risk would come from ANY relevantly large school--not just SHS in particular.) Just my two cents...
terrier06
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:54 am

A few thoughts:

**Calling SHS "thug central" strikes me as at least mildly racist. But, moving on from that...

**I have mixed feelings about SHS leaving Wofford for football. I have a lot of fond memories of Vikings games at Snyder Field. Fun times. I don't doubt that games there brought problems for Wofford. And I can certainly imagine that coaches wanted Wofford players to stay away from the Gaffney games -- big, big crowds and pretty nasty rivalry. Still, there is something to the community connection that appeals to me.

I also feel that it's somewhat wasteful for a community to have all these big multi-million-dollar stadiums that sit empty on all but a handful of nights a year. Yes, there are graduation and special events -- but the main thing is football, and these big, expensive structures simply aren't used all that much. Doesn't seem very cost-effective to have so many of them.

**Having said all that, I hope the referendum passes. It could be great for Spartanburg to have a new SHS. The old Lan Yair isn't very centrally located, but it's a big piece of land right on a four-lane highway....so a pretty decent location, I think. But it is a referendum. This thing isn't a done deal without the community's 'yes' vote.

By the way, I remember that shooting on Pearl Street. It was right outside the home of friends of mine (their house is now part of the Village complex....a draining ditch, maybe). I think one of them had to testify at the trial. I knew the perpetrator from when I worked in the school system. He was pretty wild, as I recall it, but didn't seem malicious on that level. I remember, actually, taking him on field trip to Wofford as a higher education awareness outing for junior high school kids. The shooting was a terrible thing, all the way around.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:12 pm

I am very sorry about my previous posst in this thread. I should have thought before I posted. I made too big a generalization for such a large school as SHS. I had some poor experiences when I came to Wofford for SHS games as a visiting fan back in the day...some people were very ugly and rude to me and I also had a car broken into and my car stereo stolen back in the 80s when I was a teenager. But I know everyone at SHS is not bad. I made a mistake in judgement and I am deeply sorry if I offended anyone.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dude on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Gotcha, 94. I'm sure you meant no harm. And, yeah, anytime you bring a whole lot of townsfolk to campus, you're probably inviting some problems.

But, I do think it's important for Wofford to maintain connections with the community, and the SHS-Wofford football stadium set up is a local tradition...and part of my personal history. That said, if the voters of District Seven want to build a new stadium for the Vikings, I'm certainly fine with it.
dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Back in the day, Spartanburg High sent many of their best students to Wofford. I expect that is still true.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football