10/03/15 @ Mercer

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: 10/03/15 @ Mercer

Postby BearDownMU on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:21 am

Welp. There you go. We shouldn't have even suited up!
Some days you eat the Bear, some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU
Junior Terrier

Postby BearDownMU on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:21 am

Welp. There you go. We shouldn't have even suited up!
Some days you eat the Bear, some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:43 am

WELP. I am not of the 3 TD score as I think the game was closer then that. But I never really felt Wofford was in danger being up pretty comfortably throughout the game, until the very end. Then I was nervous as could be and was wondering no way do we throw this game away after having every chance to put it away. Mercer kept fighting and doing what it needed to put itself in a spot to win it. But I think the outcome was ironic, considering that the extra point that was partially blocked / missed, is the exact reason the game went to OT in the 1st place.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Not to belabor the point, but after watching Inside Wofford Football, there were two big turning points in the game that kept it from being a Wofford blow out. First, when we didn't score (at all) on the drive at the end of the first half. It really should have been 20-10 at the half. Then when Jallil dropped the pick six that would have put us up 17 points. The fumbled pitch to give Mercer the opportunity to tie it was obviously big as well. We played a game that should have been a two to three touchdown victory. I hope our guys will put it together this week and get those mistakes ironed out. For the Mercer folks; those long runs are what we do. Pound, pound, pound, and then break one. The defense cheats up and puts eight in the box and then one of our guys breaks one. It's the nature of the offense we run. Just as our defense was designed as a "bend but don't break" style that allows teams to dink us with the pass, others play us similarly on defense. Against Gardner Webb we threw two long passes (one that would have been a TD) that were ruled as dropped passes when the receiver lost the ball when he hit the ground. In a perfect world we would have that option when teams choose to put eight in the box and play our receivers man to man. I don't take anything away from Mercer. Our goal line stand at the end saved the game for us and prevented losing a game that would have effectively ruined our season early. Look at the new programs around; Ga State, Charlotte, ETSU and Mercer, and there is no doubt Mercer is far ahead of the others. Congratulations to Mercer for a great game and best wishes for the remainder of the season.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Yep. Jaleel's near interception was big not only because we did not score but they scored on that same drive. So that was - assuming he would have scored a TD - was a 14 pt turnaround right there. You have to give Mercer credit though for continuing to fight. And there were other turning points in the game too. Go Terriers !!!!!!!!
Loyalterrier

Previous

Return to Football