HUGE NEWS!!!!

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:09 pm

http://m.wbtv.com/wbtv/pm_/contentdetai ... 3ARtJY7BVW

Can't say how much this means to these young men
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: HUGE NEWS!!!!

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:15 pm

Don't get too excited. Wofford signed a non-COa letter with VMI, Delware, New Hampshire, Hofstra, Elon and others.
This issue will college football as we know it. The proverbial dividing line.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo NH1 Dude on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Ruckus,

Would you please expand...did we sign a non-compete/cooperate, etc. along with the others listed? Does this become a scenario where rival schools say to recruits, "Come to my college or university and we will provide you with stipends to help you survive - unlike Wofford, et al?"
Thanks.
WoCo NH1 Dude

Postby WocoSix on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Here is a link explaining their stance.
http://www.vmikeydets.com/pdf9/3853209. ... EM_ID=9800

Tragedy!!
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Well if that winds up being their stance. Then you can probably kiss whatever thought of being ultra competitive out the window. If the rest of the conference is providing living stipends for their athletes. You will have an even more selctiive audience in Wofford. IMO.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:44 pm

I respect their stance. We will see how that stance plays out goin forward in regards to Wofford's proud athletic success. When direct competitor institutions with comparable educational experiences and athletic offerings will be paying an athletic stipend
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:52 am

It really depends on the rest of the conference institutions. I am told CID and FU are in agreement with us but would not/did not sign the non-COA letter. But this could drastically change the landscape in terms of conference alignments depending on who pays and who doesn't.
I can tell you Cid and FU are in similar positions to us financially although we are by far the leanest budget (with he exception of VMI). Most schools at our level will be selective in what sports it is paid (most say basketball will be the most prominent because of the smaller numbers). Most won't pay football because of the sheer numbers.
Personally, I am not in favor of this for several reasons: it blurs the lines between amateur and pro, it further delineates the richer schools, in a lot of schools the COA amounts won't paid to all sports which is unfair to the non-revenue athletes, and quite frankly, I see this as a political gesture in college sports (welfare for athletes). That being said, I am sure a lot of athletes (including at Wofford) could well use some spending money (although I would argue in most cases it will likely be wasted on non-essential items rather than necessary expenses like gas or food). It has been going on for years in informal ways: envelopes of cash left in lockers, money funneled through menial jobs, cars "loaned" etc. but now it is just in a more formal way which I seriously doubt will prevent or relieve the well documented and widespread abuses and very well may make them worse. The college scene is further open to a bidding war.
This is a sad day. Wofford cannot afford to pay this. Will JR or Gibbes open heir ample pocketbooks even more? Who knows.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:23 am

Very interesting indeed. And while I fully understand that stance, there are many inner city kids who have worked their tails off regardless of scenario to be in a position to make it to Wofford. And while that is truly a blessing, they aren't allowed to work during the season and generate any type of income, while their traditional student counterparts are able to work, make an income to provide for their life while attending school. These kids shouldn't have to starve or struggle through Ramen Noodle nights divided amongst roommates due to being unable to provide for yourself. It is a catch 22. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. If Wofford is unable to afford this scenario, maybe a move to the Pioneer league is in the future, obviously a drastic change will be coming.

But I digress. I hope it works out for the best. Looking forward to Gardner Webb.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:29 am

Student athletes (especially at Wofford) are held to the highest standards. No breaks or allowances given. Strictly expected to be a full time student, full time athlete, and be able to budget that all, while being hours and hours away from family and support. And being ever so grateful to be in that very position at such a wonderful school as Wofford is a blessing. But if you take a person's means to support themselves (mine has worked a full time job at home since he was 14) he can and does provide for himself outside of school) there should be allowances afforded. How that is allocated and what not is a different story, that is above my pay grade. Just my thoughts.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:01 am

So if it doesn't apply across the board to all athletes in all sports, how is it fair and equitable?
Where is this money going to come from at schools like Wofford? May likely result in reduction in overall scholarships available so fewer needy kids will be deprived of the Wofford experience entirely. Fewer lives changed and transformed in sacrifice for a few getting perks.
All meals and snacks are included now in schollies so no kid should ever go hungry (although the late night fast food run may be in jeopardy). Deprivation of the opportunity to earn money is offset by receipt of athletic scholarship worth $200,000 plus that almost all regular students don't get.
I am not saying there aren't kids who could use the money but opens the proverbial Pandora's box.
As for a move down to the pioneer league, that may likely apply to a lot more schools than just Wofford. Just further reduction in free college educations to fine institutions available to kids who could really use them. Pick your poison: cash now or college educations to a greater number.
The oppressive effect of this to private schools v those publicly funded is disproportionate. There is a cost to everything. Nothing in life is free (or should be).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:02 am

All good questions. Im interested to see the plans on how it is feasible for schools.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:07 pm

No disrespect to anyone, but I'm not a fan of this and believe a lot of the stories about kids starving have been disproportionately put forward by the media. I was an athlete in a non-revenue sport at WC for all 4 years. We onlyhad 1 scholly for the whole team, so it got divided and most of us got the bulk of our assistance from academic schollies, merit, financial aid, state tuition grants or other sources. I was just thankful for the opportunity to keep playing sports and to be able to get a great education in the process. I and most everyone else I knew worked our butts off in the summer to earn spending money for the coming year, so with proper saving/planning, that shouldn't be a big issue either. As for starving, I never once was in danger of that :D . The cafeteria was open every day, 3 times per day and there was no limit on how much you could eat...or for that matter take back to your room afterwards, plus the staff was always willing to work with us if we had a road trip or late practice, etc., so I cannot fathom how anyone would be starving at WC... or any other school, most of which are probably even more accommodating than WC. The thought of being paid to play while getting a tuition free education or even having that expectation is so completely foreign to me that I don't know why the NCAA, or the So Con would ever open this can of worms?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:32 pm

The issue is wide open. And is now trickling down to the FCS levels. Will be an interesting dynamic and how it shapes the new landscape. Where does it go from here?
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Could this issue be addressed by the NCAA putting in trust for each athlete funds based on the value of all athletes to media and ticket revenues that all now come solely to schools and the NCAA. Some of the big names at big schools would get more than lesser names at smaller programs, but every athlete would get something. Although that is not easy to apportion, that does not mean it cannot be done.

This also raises the question of the Davidson model for smaller private serious educational institutions like Wofford. As we know, Davidson football has no schollies, and is dramatically unsuccessful. However, their scholarship sports like basketball, tennis, and soccer compete very effectively. Davidson can fund each of these sports, including outside "expenses", with a fraction of what it costs to fund serious football. We also are at the point where our basketball, soccer, golf, and tennis programs can compete widely. Going the Davidson route might increasingly be a viable option. (But, we have many alums and fans who cannot conceive of sports at Wofford without football.)
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:37 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co ... s/2890117/

also, what happens with Title 9 shortfalls. Very interesting.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football