Thoughts on Idaho game

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Thoughts on Idaho game

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:42 am

Team did a darn good job (imo) hanging in there, and almost got a win. If not for some football quirks, it could have been ours for the taking.
Now for the "darn its". Against Clemson: 63 plays, 27% passing. Against TTU 81 plays, 13.5% passing. Idaho, 45 plays 11.2% passing. Am I seeing a trend here? And pray tell why we hardly if ever throw to a WR? Does the coaching staff have no confidence in the players? Is it a strategic thing? If its strategy, why not recruit big ole fullbacks and linebackers, play them at WR, and let them pound on opponents CBs and S? Not one pass attempt to a WR in the Idaho game until the desperation throw to #82 at the end of the game. I don't get it. Anyone know if this has always been thus?

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Re: Thoughts on Idaho game

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:50 am

The answer is the same as the answer to lots of posts in the last 24 hours- Wade Lang.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:03 pm

It has been this way for a decade. Every year we start off with hopes of an effective passing attack. As the season progresses, we tend to revert to what we do best.

Down the stretch yesterday, we neede plays with a reasonable chance of getting 15-20 yards. Idaho had that, we didn't.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:03 pm

walliver wrote:It has been this way for a decade. Every year we start off with hopes of an effective passing attack. As the season progresses, we tend to revert to what we do best.

Down the stretch yesterday, we needed plays with a reasonable chance of getting 15-20 yards. Idaho had that, we didn't.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:06 pm

My only take away from the game is that watching it live was different than on tv, I watched the ESPN feed last night.

Live showed how athletic they were. MA is right they aren't really an FBS talent level team, but they are certainly a very good FCS team. If they were in the SoCon they'd be right there and a possible playoff team. With that being said, I think we did a dang good job, long trip, in a dome, against a pass happy team, without some key guys. Don't get me wrong, close is never good enough, but in this case I can't say enough about how well I thought the guys did, including the coaches.

The only thing that surprised me was, we gave up 198 yards rushing. Including some key runs by the qb. I expected the big passing day, (it's what they do) but didn't expect the rushing day.

Watching it live also showed the adjustment they made in the second half on the outside. They started flying off the end to stop it. I have no idea what we could've done differently, but they certainly took that away. It was hard to see that on the ESPN feed.

Sitting in the Spokane airport for the long trip home. It was fun though even though we didn't win. On to GW! Go Terriers!
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:31 pm

Was this a winnable game...Yes! Do we need to adjust the offense...yes! Do we need to adjust Defense...Yes! Personally, I saw some things we can work on before SoCon play starts.

Offensively, there are fundamental plays that can be added without breaking the principles of the triple option. Simple WR hitches, slants, TE seams, and bubble screens keep defenses honest. Run game is A+, when hitting on all cylinders. If Butler is the better passer, how about mix him in a few plays. But as for our field general it is obvious who moves the offense more efficient.

Defensively, would like to see more aggression and swarming to the ball. Our D seems to be low risk, low reward.A 3-4 scheme but rarely do we Blitz or be the aggressor. Our secondary, plays majority zone or off man. Would love to see if they can play press man. Would help if the defense moved around to disguise coverages
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Agree with the posters above. i really like what Evan has shown at his time under center.
Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:27 am

We only need to finish 3rd in the Socon (2 loses, presuming we beat GW...which is one hell of a presumption given the last 2 years) to make the playoffs this year.

I think a lot of our problems defensively came from the size advantage on offense that Idaho had...they were something like 80 pounds bigger than our DL on average. If we can't get pressure, we're the kind of defense that primarily prefers zone and we'll get picked apart at the slot/tight end, and that's what happened at times against Idaho.

The good news is that I don't think we'll see a line that big again this regular season, the bad news is that we definitely have holes in our defensive secondary.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:31 am

Also how many fumbles/turnovers have we had through 3 games with Jacks on the field? I wanna say most of the QB fumbles came with Butler on the field.

I think that's another small (?) thing Jacks does better
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Abey Ward on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:15 am

The defense came out flat and couldn't stop their O.
Nick was disappointed with his performance.
I told him that can't happen again, the SOCON games are to important.
It sounds like the defense was spoken to very clearly about their expectations.
Disappointment in losing a winnable FBS, which may be the only one they get.
Especially IMO Wofford is a better team than Idaho and should have got the W.
I told Nick its over and the season is about to start now learn from these games and get better.
Abey Ward
Junior Terrier

Postby WocoSix on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:26 am

Does anyone have a report on the injury front? I know we had a few banged up at Idaho and we should be getting a few back soon.

Agreed, the defense gave up tons of yards through the air and was gashed for 34. If O doesn't have the turnover in the 1st possession and we force the turnover on downs we win the game. Defense let Idaho convert on 3rd and long quite a few times. If we get off the field and force the punts 38 points should have been enough to win.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:43 pm

If the team gives up 500+ yards to the opponent, ideal offensive personnel selection and the proper run/pass ratio will not be the keys to victory.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Perhaps this is trivial, but since a record may be involved, I think someone should take a look at Colvin's return and re-calculate the yardage. It appears to me that he takes it two yards deep in the end zone before the run back. That's 102 yards, not 100.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:07 pm

Coach Ayers said on terriervision that we won't know the extent of Will Gay's injury until the MRI is back.

That could mean anything really
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:41 pm

knee?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football