Thoughts on Idaho....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Thoughts on Idaho....

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:56 pm

After watching their game with Ohio and USC I think this is a tough game for Wofford. Idaho is big fast and physical. And will be looking for blood in a game that they will feel that they should win. Their first 2 game scores do not reflect them as a team IMO. USC is USC obviously and Ohio will be one of the MAC's best IMO. Wofford will need to stop this team inside out, and what I mean is contain their SR Bruiser RB 6'2 235 lb. Elijah Penny. Can't give him free reign at the point of attack. Then, Idaho will most certainly play their troubled Wide Receiver in this one, Desmon Epps, who had 15 catches for 160 yards (suspended for the USC game, no way he sits this one out). Will pose a major threat on the outside. The QB seemed to be poised and threw a nice ball, and wasn't scared to spread the ball around to different receivers. At times they run the read option look, although I never saw the QB keep it once out of the look. It was wither handoff or play action. I hope we pin our ears back when they see that look and come right after the QB not leaving him time to operate.

The Idaho Defense looks to be a 3-4 scheme and has some playmakers. #43 Bradley DE/OLB is a fast physical playmaker on defense. Defending the option is not something most teams are aptly prepared for in a weeks time, however, as some have mentioned prior, they have been practicing in the off season for the Triple. And seeing both Wofford and Ga. Southern in the next couple weeks, they will certainly have their fill. Seeing how fast the defense of Idaho actually played, surprised me. We will need to firmly establish Wofford football in this one. Get the FB active, setting us up on the edges with the Triple, and we will have to take some shots in the passing game, both out of necessity to loosen up the defense, and that Idaho has shown to be vulnerable in the secondary.

How do we prepare for the dome/turf? That is a concern to me. The speed of the game and the bounce of the ball are at a different scenario on Turf.

Idaho also has an All Conference punter/kicker and will be a factor in the special teams. For us to win all 3 phases of the game on Saturday, we will surely need to figure out our kick cover unit, and for David Marvin to stay his normally money self. Traveling 2500 miles on Friday, adjusting time zones and sea levels, I hope that we can focus and can implement Wofford football, as seen against TEnn Tech. last Saturday. Have got to win the turnover battle and must score TD's in the red zone, can't get stopped or settle for 3's. We have to be sharp in all phases of the game in this one. IMO.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Thoughts on Idaho....

Postby youngterrier on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:05 pm

I'm more concerned about the plane ride back for preparing for GWU than the plane ride there to be honest.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:20 pm

This is a great opportunity to continue what we started last week; to play WOFFORD football. Idaho is a team that doesn't do anything out of the ordinary, but plays solid football. Our young guys have a chance to work on blocking schemes and defensive sets. This weekend and next we can establish our rotations and work in the guys who have been held out. We got back to our game last weekend and we need to build on that confidence and grow. A long trip like this gives the team a chance to build its closeness as well.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:38 pm

19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:11 am

http://dnews.com/blogs/behind-enemy-lin ... 33fd7.html Todd on the other end.

Agree with 19T and Boulder: we need to execute, not turn it over, and focus. Do what we do and do it well.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:57 am

It's hard to read the Idaho board and past posts without reading about their star receiver Epps and his troubles. I can't think of many programs that would have kept him in school. He has at least three strikes; two of which are pretty serious. It's their business what they do with him, but even Fla St and Fla might have told him to take a hike. Idaho, being somewhat isolated, seems like a place that wouldn't put up with it.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDogs on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:45 pm

I think the plane ride wont be a huge factor, if at all. The plane ride to ndsu was nothing compared to a bus trip to chat or samford. If anythimg, it provides plenty of uninterrupted film.
ShortHairedDogs
Terrier Pup

Postby lawdog on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:33 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Abey Ward on Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:27 am

For Idaho, this game versus Wofford is nothing short of must win. A loss and we could be easily sliding down the slippery slope that ends with an entire coaching staff being fired.

Maybe the only winnable game.

We win by 9.
Abey Ward
Junior Terrier

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:42 am

Hope they don't think we flew out 2500 miles to do anything but WIN. Let's go get this W TDOGS!!!!!!!!!!!

IM PUMPED!!!!! I have been Terry Tate'n folks around my office this morning. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzToNo7A-94
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:29 pm

Great stuff 19.
Loyalterrier

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:06 pm

As I sit here in the Kibbie Dome watching warmups all I can think:

I didn't come 2000 miles to watch us lose!!

Go Terriers!!!!!!!!
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:09 pm

Tell us about the dome? Do they have any fan base?
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Let's just say the dome is different. It's nice enough for an on campus facility. You can tell it's old.

There aren't many people here, not the even in the parking lot. There are a lot more people at Wofford games and other SoCon schools tailgating before the games than there are here.

Beautiful part of the country though. I spent the night in Spokane, and drove over to Couer d'alene this morning and then drove down here. Been to Boise and Pocatello but never here so it truly is beautiful.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Watching Idaho warmup they look about as good as a top half SoCon team personnel wise. Hey we might lose, but I like our chances.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football