Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Next: The University of Idaho Vandals

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:09 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:

A chance to settle an old score with Craig Bohl.

I know about Ole Miss in 2016, Wyoming in 2018 and Clemson in 2019, but do we have any other FBS games scheduled?

I think South Carolina in 2017 from what I see
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:57 pm

I can see Coach Tim Johnson leading the Wofford contingent into Laramie to play the Cowboys. Beautiful country and a great trip for our team and fans.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:19 am

dungeonjoe wrote:I think South Carolina in 2017 from what I see

I didn't see that on the fbschedules.com website and since I had heard that South Carolina was playing Western next season, I assumed that rotation might be over with even though Clemson appears to have renewed theirs as seen with our 2019 game. Is the 2017 game with the Gamecocks referenced somewhere I am not seeing?
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terryer on Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Headed out to Seattle tomorrow for a few days then over to Moscow on Friday for the game. Are there any organized tailgate plans for Wofford fans for game day?
Terryer
Terrier Pup

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:20 am

http://campuscommuter.blogs.goupstate.c ... e-terrier/ Colvin; nice vignette.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201509 ... ?p=2&tc=pg Niche. Another great piece by Todd, finest sports writer I am aware of.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:41 am

I would love to be in beautiful Idaho for this game, but, you know, work. There all always refueling outages going on in the fall. But I will be watching the game as much as I can. Let's Vandalize the Vandals!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:08 am

Listened to part of Idaho HC Petrino's weekly presser. Seems to be familiar with us. He too mentioned the difficulty in preparing for our offense in 3 days; said it can't be done. That's why they have been preparing since the spring and pre-season. His dad was a option coach so is familiar with concepts. All about assignment football. Knew our QB situation and by names. Butler bigger stronger and Jacks more experienced. Both will run same scheme. Wasn't profusely complimentary of us; very low key. Which tells me he is taking us seriously and understands we are a challenge.
Said he wants to be more 50/50 run pass mix but hasn't had the opportunity after going down big early. Said Ohio and USC D's 2 of the best in the country. Says they are getting better. Gave up no sacks to USC and had no TOs.
Anybody know anything about their schemes particularly defensive? I assume they are a spread team but that's just a guess.
Petrino is the brother of Louisville HC and former Arky (and WKU) Bobby FWIW.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:13 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:
dungeonjoe wrote:I think South Carolina in 2017 from what I see

I didn't see that on the fbschedules.com website and since I had heard that South Carolina was playing Western next season, I assumed that rotation might be over with even though Clemson appears to have renewed theirs as seen with our 2019 game. Is the 2017 game with the Gamecocks referenced somewhere I am not seeing?

I believe the WCU game is filling the spot allocated to CCU before they stopped scheduling FBS money games. (Somewhat ironic in light of recent events).
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Ruckus wrote:Listened to part of Idaho HC Petrino's weekly presser. Seems to be familiar with us. He too mentioned the difficulty in preparing for our offense in 3 days; said it can't be done. That's why they have been preparing since the spring and pre-season. His dad was a option coach so is familiar with concepts. All about assignment football. Knew our QB situation and by names. Butler bigger stronger and Jacks more experienced. Both will run same scheme. Wasn't profusely complimentary of us; very low key. Which tells me he is taking us seriously and understands we are a challenge.
Said he wants to be more 50/50 run pass mix but hasn't had the opportunity after going down big early. Said Ohio and USC D's 2 of the best in the country. Says they are getting better. Gave up no sacks to USC and had no TOs.
Anybody know anything about their schemes particularly defensive? I assume they are a spread team but that's just a guess.
Petrino is the brother of Louisville HC and former Arky (and WKU) Bobby FWIW.

Idaho has won only three games in the last three years. However, they were much improved last year and many of the losses were close. Their QB Linehan was decent as a freshman and is expected to be better, esp. with their best receiver returning after a year's suspension. They like to throw it, but word is improving the run game has been a goal. They routinely sign many JUCOs, and this year is no different. They have a new defensive coordinator, who is installing a 3-4. Last year's D gave up many big plays, and fixing that is a priority. In short: expect them to be significantly better than last year. They will be gunning for us, as a game they can/should win. We need to be ready. http://www.axs.com/idaho-vandals-footba ... view-58654

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ule-roster
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Their best player, Wide Receiver Desmon Epps, who had 15 catches for 160 yards against Ohio U, was suspended against USC and I don't know his status against us. He was caught stealing merchandise from his school store, after already being suspended parts of the last 2 seasons for theft at a grocery and a DUI last season that ended his 2014 campaign. Seems like a tremendous talent on the field and a dangerous weapon, his playing or not playing should make a major impact in this game I would assume.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:26 pm

Expect Epps to play...regardless.

Ruck is right, I suspect they have been preparing for the TO since the spring. This could be the only "winnable" game on their schedule this season, so I look for them to be locked and loaded. I can only guess if lengthy travel or altitude will have give complications to the terriers.

Apparently, they are good in time of possession, too, which will make for an interesting game.

In order to win, the Terriers must be near-perfect in execution of the triple option and in our pass defense. We got a glimpse of that with Tenn Tech. Here is hoping we build on it for a victory over the vandals.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:56 pm

DJ is right. In light of all that has been happening in Moscow, they will be treating this game as a must win.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/08/2 ... coach.html

Idaho game notes for us. Note that their QB completed 36 passes vs. Ohio and 28-45 vs. Southern Cal.
http://www.govandals.com//pdf9/3825710. ... M_ID=17100

Strong hunch that their priority will be to make us stop the pass.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Everyone is right, Idaho runs the spread and will pass quite a bit, but it's a little deceiving. They were down 21-0 with 3:30 left in the 1st qtr. against Ohio, and down 28-3 with 12 minutes left in the 2nd qtr. against USC. It just means they were down so much to start the games they had no choice but to pass a lot, and most of those were short underneath throws.

Another game to watch this week is Chatty at Samford...big game that will have a huge impact on the conference race early in the season.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:10 pm

Good point TnT. But note that the Idaho staff has been catching a lot of flack for all the short passes and they probably will have a plan or two to go over the top also.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Against Ohio Idaho defended the run not too bad although I did not watch the entire game. But their pass defense was not very good. some passes by Ohio over the middle were wide open. Hopefully we can take advantage of that. Also another game to watch is the TTU Mercer game. at TTU. I will make a prediction that TTU will give them a good game and if they hold on to the ball could come out with a W. But a lot of ifs in there. you never know. I saw three predictions where TTU is favored by 2 points and the other losing by 1. But the main focus is on Idaho. GO TERRIERS !!!!!
Loyalterrier

PreviousNext

Return to Football