Now that's Wofford Football....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Now that's Wofford Football....

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:00 pm

See the offense opening up and expanding. The defense being opportunistic. That's what we need going forward. I love the look against a quality opponent. Great stuff TDogs.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Now that's Wofford Football....

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:05 pm

It feels good to win, that's for sure.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:04 am

I like the Butler/Jacks combo. We used the pass effectively. Got some great blocking by the OL after the first series. The D played loose. Refer to the title of this thread....."that's Wofford Football!!"
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:29 am

i think the quarterback shuffle is what I call the Box of Chocolates package. A defense doesn't know which QB is going to play in any one series; adjustments might be slow in coming for the other team. This shuffle could be a result of coaching indecision. I think it could be a good strategy, if egos don't get in the way and there is a selfless, team-first attitude by all involved.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:28 am

To me, the game seemed somewhat like an NFL exhibition game trying different personnel and formations. Jacks again looked like a #1 QB, but didn't start. Butler played well, but had a few missed reads and a bad pitch (although on 4th down it didn't make much difference). Last week's starter played less than 2 minutes :dunno:

Unfortunately, the game component that was pure Wofford Football was kick coverage. Back in the D2 days, "pooch kicks" were the norm, and it looks like they are back.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:45 am

I don't see it as strategic at all. We ran the same packages and plays with both QBs. It all comes down to consistency and decision making. And for whatever reason, Jacks hasn't fully earned the blessing/confidence of WL in that department. Regardless, Jacks offers a nice change of pace (quicks/speed) to Butler (or Goodson). I would reverse the order but whatever. Curious though that Butler got the start over Jacks or Goodson. Crazy but it worked out. After a rough first series (which I fault the Ol for looking tentative), the train got rolling and boy did it roll. Best we have looked offensively in years, especially v quality opponent. TTU will beat some people. They obviously however don't know how to defend the option (wide splits on DL, safeties not reading quickly) as the OVC doesn't have it. OL did a fantastic job and we executed at a high level.
For those of you who harp on play calling all the time, we ran the same plays we always run (although the I back isolations with bootlegs off of it were new). We just EXECUTED at a much higher level. In fact I thought WL had TTU completely flummoxed. Inside, outside, play action, bootleg.....they didn't know what was coming at them next and we flat executed at a level not seen in a while. We will have to get better especially with a few TOs and against the Mike and eagle defenses (think FU, Sammy, WCU) but it was a nice comeback after the CU paisting. Kudos to the coaches and kids for a job well done!
Defense played great too. Very few breakdowns and good fundamental play although too many missed tackles. Hope we get Jaleel and Speller back quickly.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:48 am

Ruckus, you mentioned that TTU didn't know how to defend the option, They were flummoxed and didn't know what was coming at them next. So my question is: What do we do when we are facing teams that DO know what we are doing?
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:08 am

Boom.....good question.
That's why we have to be able to execute at a high level and be able to win the one on one battles IMO.
But at least it's a good sign to see us take compete advantage of a scheme not at that level. I say scheme because TTU had some nice athletes, on the DL especially (DE 84 was a specimen). In the last few years we haven't always had that. To rush for 444 against high quality athletes and good coaches is a benchmark of improvement for us.
Things will get tougher for sure (I predicted Cid's rise and FU has the best team they have had in years), but I think we all wanted to see some indication of improvement and we got it.
Loved the Iback concept with bootlegs/play action (a la FU). Now if we can get our personnel substitutions and clock management straight. We just do a terrible job of managing a dying clock.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:54 am

I personally liked the I formation, boot-leg, etc.

In my personal opinion, Wofford's offense peaked a few years ago because we ran the TO which is strategic about spacing, leverage, etc. Since then, college football in general has undergone a renaissance of spread offense and in effect the spread uses the same sort of strategy that TO does (albeit slightly different) and so teams are better able to defend the TO than they used to be even if they don't see it as often.

In this way, the more "gimmicky" offense is the power I or something like that, not because of its strategy as much as teams are more likely to be spread out. Perhaps it doesn't score as many points as a spread, but it does do a lot for numbers and TOP and teams Alabama, Wisconsin, and Stanford are top tier offensively and perhaps even more consistent when playing the big boys offensively.

So, I like seeing Wofford go in the i formation, and given our problems with pass blocking, I like the boot-legs, etc
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:56 am

Also, TTU is an average program at best, so I'm not reading too much into this game, other than to say we have potential. We rushed more in this game than any game last year and we played 2 inferior opponents to TTU, so that's a very promising sign. With that said, we made some mistakes and we need to iron out the edges.

I will also say that Butler does have one advantage over Jacks and if he gets the nod next week it's for that reason: he is a better passer (as Ruck has been saying)
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:22 pm

Amen, brother. By playing the whole Triple Option playbook we open the field for lots of things we have gotten away from for years. I can see that Butler probably has the better arm, but Jacks threw it better when he threw it. I like that we have several QB's that can play, because I don't think any team can let one QB in a system like ours get beat up every game. If they offer different qualities let's use them when the time comes. The rhythm didn't seem to change much last night from QB to QB, which bodes well for the future. I am just so relieved to see a team on offense that resembles the Wofford I know and love.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Oh and BTW- we started 2 RSF on the OL last night (Duffy (RG) and Demmel (LOT)). Both are going to be really nice players for us. Not sure where Rouse was. Chamberlain was on sideline with Coach Nash in street clothes. The first I have seen him since spring.
On the RS front, looks like all freshmen on O are red shirting except Basinger, Ralph, Stoddard (who got some touches last night), and Hennigar (who I hear they are trying to RS but was dressed). On D, looks like most are NOT redshirting except Horlak and Gbessee (both of whom have been hurt), and Massey. Not sure about Hinton, Able, and Mangum who have been dressed. I hope we have the luxury of RS'ing Watson and Tillery but I doubt it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Tillery starts on special teams, and Watson played last night, so no redshirt for those 2 for sure.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:31 pm

The game was fun to watch, but ... take away the interception at the 6, the fumble inside the 5 and the holding on the kick return, and we could easily be on the wrong side of a 35-34 score.

Their QB was tall and fast, but a made a number of bad throws and judgment errors. Reese Hannon and Jacob Huesman probably won't be so generous.

We have the potential to win every remaining game on our schedule. But there are no easy games on our schedule either.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:29 pm

Takeaways and penalties are apart of the game. If WOF doesn't fumble the pitches we have at least 14 more points on the board. The OL won this game plan and simple. There were very few negative yardage plays and I counted plenty of plays with lineman blocking safeties and corners. Was kind of leary about the musical QB but, glad to see the 3 of them are unselfish and just doing there jobs when called upon. Having all 3 playing will benefit us come conference play
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football