Wofford QB questn??

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby WTFan on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:06 am

Totally agree. With that being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Butler, Goodson or even Weimer gets the start next weekend. What in the world are our coaches thinking? It is absolutely mind boggling.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:53 am

Goodson played pretty well. Once he settled in, he moved the offense just fine, but he's still very mechanical. He knows what to do but still has to think about it. Jacks is much more fluid. He runs the offense instinctually and has some swagger, too. Goodson may be the change of pace and he may be the guy after Jacks is gone, but for now, Jacks should start.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
User avatar
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2778
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: 507 Miles from Wofford

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:54 am

Why not surprise the other team or keep them guessing? Aren't they all capable? And isn't it better, and necessary, to give our main QB a break like the other players have to have,especially since he has the most exposure and takes the most hits? Why not a break at the beginning of the game?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 6270
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:22 pm
Location: NC

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby WoCo65 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:01 am

One of these games the coaches will pull this stunt and we will be 3 and out like our first 2 or 3 series last night with Goodson and we'll find ourselves 21 points in the hole - as we should have last night. But thankfully Mercer started out slow too and the D bent a little but didn't break. When Jacks comes in, the O immediately responds and we start moving the ball effectively. SMH - I don't know what to think of these decisions but someday it will cost us.
User avatar
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:02 pm

WoCo65 wrote:One of these games the coaches will pull this stunt and we will be 3 and out like our first 2 or 3 series last night with Goodson and we'll find ourselves 21 points in the hole - as we should have last night. But thankfully Mercer started out slow too and the D bent a little but didn't break. When Jacks comes in, the O immediately responds and we start moving the ball effectively. SMH - I don't know what to think of these decisions but someday it will cost us.


This is exactly my view. You go with your best QB to start out. Otherwise this could happen
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
User avatar
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:03 pm

I'm fine with a rotation and like having our starter be fresher down the line for not having to carry all the load, but let him start the game, set the flow of things and get us rolling, then hit to opponent with a change of pace. What we are doing makes no sense unless there is something else going on behind the scenes that none of us are privy to. I don't understand why we don't do like n years past where the second QB comes in for a few series in the second quarter and then again in the second half as the game dictates. Yesterday, Jack played the whole game except for four drives. How much fresher would he have been at the end if those had been extended breaks of maybe two drives off in the first half and then two more in the second half? It worked out this time, but it won't be like that every time. Just look back two season when we had the three way deal and kept starting the previous game's hot hand which ended up with us in a hole almost every week.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
User avatar
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2778
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: 507 Miles from Wofford

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:36 pm

If changing starting QBs on a regular basis was successful, many teams would do it. It's not. It does not instill confidence in team performance. It makes everyone's assignment more confusing because of different QB abilities. Every player gets tired the more they play, but you rarely see skilled starters pulled in close games just to get a break. Coaches are supposed to put players out there that give the team the best chance to win.......period. In Wofford's case, it is plain to see which QB that is. On to El Cid, and let's see what turns up.

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 2:02 am
Location: heart of the Gator nation

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby T-Dog 4 on Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:05 pm

I missed this during the game itself, but saw that Shannessy tweeted Weimer came in and played wide out for one play? What was that all about?... and why hasn't Weimer gotten into the QB rotation at all? He has been a real spark to our O at times.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
User avatar
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:21 pm
Location: The Far Right

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby walliver on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:03 pm

T-Dog 4 wrote:I missed this during the game itself, but saw that Shannessy tweeted Weimer came in and played wide out for one play? What was that all about?... and why hasn't Weimer gotten into the QB rotation at all? He has been a real spark to our O at times.


I've come to the conclusion that Weimer is probably not going to play QB for us this year, with the possible exception of Senior Day.

Apparently, Goodson is the man for Wade Lang, with Jacks as the rescue QB and Butler as the back-up. It is quite apparent that Weimer is #4 on the list.

I don't think Weimer recovered 100% after his knee surgery, but I do hope he gets some playing time this year. He has done a lot for the team in the past, especially when Kass chose to transfer for his 5th year.

For this coming week, I think youngterrier will start the game and hand off up the middle three times. :lol:
User avatar
walliver
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1520
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:41 pm
Location: Transylvania

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:07 pm

walliver wrote:
T-Dog 4 wrote:I missed this during the game itself, but saw that Shannessy tweeted Weimer came in and played wide out for one play? What was that all about?... and why hasn't Weimer gotten into the QB rotation at all? He has been a real spark to our O at times.


I've come to the conclusion that Weimer is probably not going to play QB for us this year, with the possible exception of Senior Day.

Apparently, Goodson is the man for Wade Lang, with Jacks as the rescue QB and Butler as the back-up. It is quite apparent that Weimer is #4 on the list.

I don't think Weimer recovered 100% after his knee surgery, but I do hope he gets some playing time this year. He has done a lot for the team in the past, especially when Kass chose to transfer for his 5th year.

For this coming week, I think youngterrier will start the game and hand off up the middle three times. :lol:


Youngterrier had a better completion percentage for the Papa Johns promotional against GWU than GWU's QB
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
User avatar
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:25 am

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:22 pm

Youngterrier threw more times in the papa john's promotion than our QB did in the game.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
User avatar
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Cayce, SC

Previous

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests