Wofford QB questn??

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:00 pm

All I ask is consistency on this issue. we were roasting the coaches last week about indecisiveness and now the narrative seems to be changing.

I'm all for it if is supports the team and we win, but at the same time if we're sitting in 3 weeks or so without any idea who the starter should be that could be a problem
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:22 pm

I think we have the answer. All 4 are our starters. I say we not dwell on it and let's see where we go with this 4 QB HYDRA SYSTEM.

our starting QB is THE HYDRA. Sounds scary!!!!!! :D :D :D :D And if they play like they did on Saturday throughout the season, then I welcome it. I know its not traditional, or conventional, but running the Triple in MAjor D1 Football isn't conventional either. Really looking forward to seeing us go compete with the FBS Idaho Vandals this week. "FEAR THE HYDRA" :D
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:53 pm

We've seen a two QB system work a number of times over the last decade plus, so I am comfortable with that so long as it is applied consistently as youngterrier said. I'd rather not see last week's hot hand get the start like in 2013, but a defined two QB system with occasional appearances by the other two works for me so long as we define the two, and stick with them barring injuries, etc. That being said, if one of the four can also contribute at some other position, then we should always be for putting the best playmakers on the field at any given time, especially bearing in mind that Dane Romero was one of our best backs ever and he shifted to RB to get out of a logjam at QB.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:05 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:25 am

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:05 am

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201509 ... ?p=2&tc=pg

Good article - Coached against Evan Jacks when he was a Jr. in HS in GA. Through no fault of his own, his HS team was just AWFUL, which probably accounts for 2 things - a good bit of how good he is now & the early-college-career 'hyper-ness' that is mentioned in the article. He HAD to be hyper in HS. His HS, at the time, I believe, had the highest SAT scores in GA and was playing in the highest classification. Without going too far outside of PC-land (maybe), let's just say, I think Table Tennis & Cricket were much more popular sports among the vast majority of the student body there than football. Many of those folks were on his OL and he really was their only good player his Jr. year. His head was, and had to be, 'on a swivel' every play and he took some BIG shots every week! But he always popped up and ran around like a pinball the next play. When I saw he signed with Wofford, I was confident that he would be very successful in the Terrier offense. Looking forward to watching him play again on Sat., though, as you might expect, I HOPE his experience back in GA is much more like his HS days, than I actually expect it will be.

*Disclaimer for YT - If the above post contains anything you may interpret as a 'back-handed compliment,' such is purely inadvertent. :D
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:53 am

Interesting. Evan was conference player of the year his senior year and his highlight real was chock full of him making plays, mostly when he ad libbed or the play broke down. I really like him although every once in a while you can get a glimpse of the old gunslinger/ad lib. Not near as much as he used to as he has settled into our offense and philosophy. But I would rather have a player trying his guts out than the other way. Decision making and being consistent has been his Achilles heel with the coaches. There is no question he is a playmaker and makes people miss. Pretty good arm too. I HOPE he gets his 2nd start of the season Saturday. To say our QB rotation has been "inconsistent" is an understatement.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:57 am

Good point Ruck. Deep down Evan is one tough competitor and wants to compete successfully (could have played PG on our basketball team too) ... plays his heart out. He has taken hits on and off the field and keeps on ticking. A worthy SHD.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:31 am

Ruckus wrote:But I would rather have a player trying his guts out than the other way.

Agreed. Give me the gutty, high motor guy any day over someone with just a bunch of stars. That stuff doesn't always show up the best in practice, but it generally does when it's "go time". Not to be negative about the other good options we have at QB, but Jacks has been my guy since his freshman year for that reason.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:29 am

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:53 am

Interesting. Evan was conference player of the year his senior year

Advance disclaimer for YT - NOT a backhanded compliment ahead

I believe his school moved down a classification his Sr year. They had been one of the smallest in the highest classification and became one of the largest in the next lower classification. That didn't help much with the demographic issues I mentioned previously, but they were at least able to compete at that level. Also, if I'm not mistaken, they added a high-quality RB (signed with App St) and changed Coaches/Offenses for his Sr year as well. So, a new coach, more appropriate comp level, at least 1 other player to help him and I think his Sr year must have turned out a lot better than his Jr was for him. We didn't play them when they moved down, so I didn't get a chance to see him play in 2011. Expecting to see some of that outstanding ability that I saw back in 2010 from him, but HOPEFULLY not too much of it.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:41 pm

Even with the classification change, I think they still only went 3-8 his senior year. But to win conference player of the year in that geographic area, says a lot about his abilities. Nice kid too.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Dad played at U. Conn., Grandad QB'd Penn State and successfully coached at Clarion State, I think ... good bloodlines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jacks
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:46 pm

I like the kid. Tough and gritty, and a playmaker. He can lead us to a SoCon Title under center. I have been saying it and will continue to say it, I think Wofford contends for the SoCon title this season. This game is very important along with The Citadel the following week, a chance to come out with 2 ROAD VICTORIES would be a huge start to conference play, to get some guys healed up and back contributing, and lets see where we can take this thing. I believe we have the talent, skill, and players that are in place to be able to win the SoCon and get us back to the playoffs. Must take care of business this week at a good program and tough venue in Mercer. Injuries are a part of it all, and Mercer has their fair share as do we, none of that matters come game day, we put our 11 on the field, as do they, and let's sort it out.

I see growth in our team and program. This game is the most important to date. I am pumped up for this one. Good luck to both squads and here's hoping for an injury free helluva game. I like our chances in this one.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:56 pm

Well said. +1.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:22 pm

I only think there is a QB question in only one mind in the entire world.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:53 pm

I don't think there's any doubt the team just plays better with Jacks under center
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football