Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Wofford QB questn??

Postby gofurman on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Friendly neighborhood fu fan

I saw some of Clemson v Wofford. No heckles here - rather I was just baffled at watching Evan jacks (I think it was him) do so much better at QB and the be pulled from the game? And I don't think I saw Weimer (sp?). I felt like I was watching your QBs 3 and 4 and never saw number 2 (Weimer) and that jacks who was far more productive on,y got a few series? Is my memory faulty. Did I see the wrong numbers on the jerseys? Were they protecting jacks for the SoCon race?

Also, was speller hurt? He is a good one.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Re: Wofford QB questn??

Postby walliver on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:44 pm

If you figure it out let me know. I don't have an answer.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:26 am

A better question is why didn't he start? He got pulled because there was no need to have him in a game not in doubt when he could get injured
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby TerrierDomination on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:08 am

Mike Ayers said in Post game interview that it was Wade Lang's decision. You know the same guy that made the decision to give the rock to Donovan Johnson on a play that could have lead us to be the national champs instead of our player EB (who when he falls down somehow lands 6 yards down the field). But I think his reason was to use EB as a decoy? Expect one problem: he ran DJ right up the middle so even if EB doesn't have the ball, DJ is going to the same place that they were expecting him anyways (oh yeah- great decoy! NOT). I guess we didn't realize that we had an NFL receiver on our team so if we wanted to use a decoy we could have thrown the ball? IDK. I'm still bitter about NDSU if you can't tell. And since EB left, things have not been the same. Our defense is great as usual, but our offense is not. I hold the position that it was a horrible decision to put Goodson in in that environment. I know Brandon personally - nicest, most professional guy you will ever meet. We all love him and could not speak more higher of his character and personality. However, Jack's proved he was the man. We must be committed. Jacks played great in GA Tech. I feel like they could have messed up Brandon's future mentally putting him in that environment and then watching us go 3 & out over and over It was painful to watch. I think it was Jimmy Johnson that compared decision making like putting brand new guy a in big games like that as dangerous to a player. Anyways. We'll find out tonight what we are made of.
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Postby walliver on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:48 am

TerrierDomination wrote:Mike Ayers said in Post game interview that it was Wade Lang's decision. You know the same guy that made the decision to give the rock to Donovan Johnson on a play that could have lead us to be the national champs instead of our player EB (who when he falls down somehow lands 6 yards down the field). But I think his reason was to use EB as a decoy? Expect one problem: he ran DJ right up the middle so even if EB doesn't have the ball, DJ is going to the same place that they were expecting him anyways (oh yeah- great decoy! NOT). I guess we didn't realize that we had an NFL receiver on our team so if we wanted to use a decoy we could have thrown the ball? IDK. I'm still bitter about NDSU if you can't tell. And since EB left, things have not been the same. Our defense is great as usual, but our offense is not. I hold the position that it was a horrible decision to put Goodson in in that environment. I know Brandon personally - nicest, most professional guy you will ever meet. We all love him and could not speak more higher of his character and personality. However, Jack's proved he was the man. We must be committed. Jacks played great in GA Tech. I feel like they could have messed up Brandon's future mentally putting him in that environment and then watching us go 3 & out over and over It was painful to watch. I think it was Jimmy Johnson that compared decision making like putting brand new guy a in big games like that as dangerous to a player. Anyways. We'll find out tonight what we are made of.

That would be the same offensive coordinator who didn't play Jeff Zollman during the second half of our semi-final game against Delaware, despite the fact that JZ had the most playing time in every game we won that year. In later interviews, he has shown some remorse for that, however.

As far as things not being the same since EB left, I believe there were issues with our offense even then, but EB's performances covered them up. With an all-star FB running up the middle and defenses stacking the box, we should have had a more effective passing game and outside game.

It almost seems like our offense is being run like a video game where the player (OC) can pick any formation and any play and have it run well. In the past we have had a base offense and added new variations on top of that for individual games. Zollman and Rodgers executed out
r offense as true sophomores (with limited freshman playing time). It now takes 3-4 years in the program for QB's to feel comfortable with our offense. I don't think we are recruiting dumb players, I suspect it is a coaching problem.
Last edited by walliver on Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:44 am

I suspect you're right "walliver"!
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:29 pm

I actually think that Goodson adds a dimension that the other QB's don't quite have like he does. He has great touch and passing ability. Strong arm and throws a great ball, I think the coaches were thinking for down the road that he adds to what the offense would like to be able to do, and that is have a passing option. Not that Jacks isn't proficient, but his strength is commanding the Option attack. Just my 2 cents, I think Goodson brings a multiple threat as we can attack more down field in the air with him if we can get things working in that direction. I think maybe that is the thinking. Purely my thoughts.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Don't disagree but I like Butler's arm better.
Don't think Jacks is that bad of a passer either. Plus Goodson still needs some work with option reads (not that it would have made a bit of difference in score or outcome).
If that is the plan (which it well may be), why not work Goodson (or Butler) in as a change of pace to Jacks? Why throw him in the lions den right off the bat?
Especially when all we heard last year was MA wanting one clear choice/starter. Why don't we need that this year?
Lots of questions......too many if you ask me. Plays with guys' heads and confidence. Just look at Jacks' well measured comments to Shanesy.
But I do like playing 2 QBs.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:11 pm

playing 2 QBs isn't a problem, so long as it's 75-25 ratio.

Jacks is the guy and I don't know why it's so controversial
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:13 pm

Because he is not in the opinion of the one person that matters....WL.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Ruckus wrote:Because he is not in the opinion of the one person that matters....WL.

The funny thing about wielding that kind of power is that when you are wrong, the responsibility and consequences fall to you. The question is, if this goes poorly, and I sincerely hope it does not, then what happens?
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Those are fair points Ruck. I would like to see the product on the field against some like comp and see the results. I'm interested. Good stuff fellas. We are almost go game time. I'm hype
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:54 pm

I just hope tthe team is "hype" and tht Wade isn't afraid to use some more imaginative playcalling an offense for a change. I'm starting to think the less than desired results the past couple of seasons mainly rest on his shoulders.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:13 pm

From Sburg paper and article in it:

“Coach has a good plan with what we’re doing right now,” Jacks said. “We’re going to keep rotating. It’s different because we play two or even three quarterbacks and it’s difficult for defenses. It was clicking pretty well.”

Jacks said egos are not an issue.

“No, it’s easy,” he said. “We’re all good guys and good buds. We just want to win.”

Wofford Box of Chocolates QB strategy.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:42 pm

+1. This looks to me like we are using our resources effectively. http://www.goupstate.com/article/201509 ... orked-well
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football