Next Up: Tennessee Tech

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Next Up: Tennessee Tech

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Notwithstanding Ruck's well-reasoned comments, the whole concept of "simplifying" the "playbook" makes me laugh... and want to cry...everyone knows that the only play we run is FB dive. Same is true for the idea that we don't know how people are going to defend us and have to feel it out. We've run the same scheme for years and seen how effective the various techniques were....I get that there are constant minor adjustments throughout the game, but should it really take us that long to figure this out? #-o

I agree with the earlier comments, we need to get back to what we did best...because what we've been trying for the last few years (and again last week) is clearly not working!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:40 am

http://www.goupstate.com/article/201509 ... ymaking-WR

A QB who is 6'4" 225 and a WR with 264 yards against an FBS team under his belt. D definitely needs to be dialed in this week - need a pass rush and good coverage.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:56 am

I just pray to God we don't sit back in our 15 yard drops and let them hit the WR bubble all day like last week. It is extremely frustrating to watch. I think I would rather get beat deep a couple of times than be subjected to the torture of 20 quick hits to the receiver for 7-8 yards a pop. Talk about wearing your defense down. We have had this philosophy for as long as I can remember and if we are going to be better against the pass (which we haven't been for a long time) we have got to start allowing some of our DBs to make some plays or at least see if they can.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Abey Ward on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:12 am

http://www.al.com/atomic-football/index ... redictions

9/12 Tennessee Tech 21 Wofford 31 77.2%
Abey Ward
Junior Terrier

Postby Abey Ward on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:24 am

Abey Ward
Junior Terrier

Postby walliver on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:02 am

Atldog7 wrote:I just pray to God we don't sit back in our 15 yard drops and let them hit the WR bubble all day like last week. It is extremely frustrating to watch. I think I would rather get beat deep a couple of times than be subjected to the torture of 20 quick hits to the receiver for 7-8 yards a pop. Talk about wearing your defense down. We have had this philosophy for as long as I can remember and if we are going to be better against the pass (which we haven't been for a long time) we have got to start allowing some of our DBs to make some plays or at least see if they can.

TTU's WR had 2 catches for over 70 yards last week. I expect a lot of 15 yard drops this weekend.

Our offense will need to click to make sure we outscore them.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:17 am

I was able to watch that TT/Houston game online. His yardage stats are a little deceiving. Both of the long td's were blown coverages by the Houston safeties. They stacked the box, and instead of the safety staying back he allowed the guy to run back and he was so wide open, even my old self could've scored. One of the other long ones was that way too. Don't get me wrong he had a good game, and not to bash Houston, but they certainly didn't do the greatest job on him either. Houston decided at all costs they were going to stop the run, and their safeties made some mistakes which allowed for that. The little running back is quick.

We should be able to run the ball, from what I saw.

The game really wasn't that close. 17-3, 17-10 on a blown coverage, 24-10, then the score kept climbing from there.

We will need to play solid, and limit mistakes to hopefully come out with a win.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby WTFan on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:33 am

I just pray to God we don't sit back in our 15 yard drops and let them hit the WR bubble all day like last week. It is extremely frustrating to watch. I think I would rather get beat deep a couple of times than be subjected to the torture of 20 quick hits to the receiver for 7-8 yards a pop. Talk about wearing your defense down. We have had this philosophy for as long as I can remember and if we are going to be better against the pass (which we haven't been for a long time) we have got to start allowing some of our DBs to make some plays or at least see if they can.
Atldog7 True Terrier Fan Posts: 159Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:36 pm

Atldog7---wish I was more positive but I can virtually assure you we will play 15yds off the ball against their receivers. We've been doing it for years. It has been as big a point of frustration for me and my group over the past several years as anything Wofford does. That and the fullback dive up the middle (post EB) followed closely by the complete lack of any serviceable passing game. Here's to hoping that will not be the case but I've seen it year in and year out. Only explanation I've ever heard was (1) we play the bend don't break and (2) our players aren't athletic enough to play close to los. Hopefully, we can outscore this team but I think they will be successful on the short throws and may break a few.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:23 pm

Honestly, as long as our offense comes to play (it hasn't in like 2 years) we will be fine. our style of play depends on offense more so than defense
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football