Next Up: Tennessee Tech

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Next Up: Tennessee Tech

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:55 am

Great post. I too am of those thoughts. And I really really feel that we do not give ourselves our best opportunities in the running game due to not establishing a true passing threat. We don't ever have to be Oregon or something, but to set up the Play action to keep teams honest and also to get points. We have the ability to effectively throw the ball IMO. Just no full scale commitment to do it, at least in my opinion, leads us to instead, try and be multiple in look and schemes to schematically obtain and advantage rather than do it by keeping them honest through attack. I couldn't agree more. I watched multiple opportunities where we have receivers running free down field against Clemson and last season the ssame.

I would love for us to incorporate a screen game. Its an extension of the running game and can be used to spread defenses out across the field. Give teams more concerns than simply our Triple Option. My opinion.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:21 pm

I think we can do better and it all comes down to coaching. If we can't put it together this year I will be disappointed.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Abey Ward on Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:47 pm

I watched the Houston/TT game on my way back home had plenty of time.
TT couldn't stop the run, this should go well for us long drives and keep the D off the field.
They also couldn't run on Houston, but they did a nice job of finding the seams in their passing game.
I believe we should get a W but it won't be easy.

I picked Nick up for breakfast Sunday morning if he wouldn't have been getting a nice breakfast he probably would have stayed in bed, he could barley move.
He was ready to go to treatment at 2:00 and start getting his body ready to go.
He also mentioned that it was fun and he really enjoyed playing a highly ranked team.
I ran into Jaleel he had a knee brace on and thought 2 weeks at the most.
Justin Lott's back should also be ready in a couple of weeks and his knee has not bothered him at all.
Dylan Young went back to bed after breakfast he was very sore as well.
Nick mentioned that OU only scored 3 points in the bowl game and we scored 10, they put 40 on OU and 49 on us.
I know they pulled their starters but he was only talking numbers, especially to his buddies that play for OU.

It seemed to me that the kids I talked to were in good spirits and all felt that at the end of the day they will be competing for the SOCON title.
These young men are smart and know the CU game did not do anything to affect their goals.
We have plenty of time to heal the walking wounded before the conference games start.
Abey Ward
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:18 pm

You can't ask for much more than that. Hope they keep their confidence up, especially on D. It's easy to get frustrated when the O keeps putting you on the field to get your clock cleaned.
Worried about the next few weeks with many players being held out until the conference slate and the imminent QB "question".
Hope you had a nice trip home, Mr. Ward.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:51 pm

The thoughts posted above have shifted my concerns. I am glad our guys have the right outlook on things and are looking to get back to business this weekend. The season is far from lost, but things do need to be addressed. It does seem that our offensive strategy has simultaneously not evolved and also over-evolved.

And I love the screen pass comment; myself and others have been calling for that for years. That play saved the game in the playoffs at Jacksonville State by opening up the middle.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:24 pm

This game should give us a chance to work on the real Wofford offense. As in any sport, we need to develop a rhythm and flow and do our thing. I still say that throw back across to the TE was a step forward. That should lead us to the screens and drag the TE across the middle to get the defense off of the option. If we want to keep recruiting talent at the receiver positions we need to throw it to them. The best QB (IMO) in the league came from Greer HS. He would be a perfect QB for Wofford, but he's at Furman because he knew he could throw the ball. That is probably the only way we are going to attract the really top flight running QB who has the talent to throw the ball. Hannon is the real deal.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:47 pm

Hannon is a good player but unfortunately we couldn't beat them even with him out injured. That Blazeowski kid is special too. But the best QB in the league may well be Cobb at VMI.
But I digress. Sorry, Boulder. I agree with your point: we have to throw it better.
Not sure about the screen pass as a blanket cure all. LBs and S tend to stay tight to LS to honor the run (and no threat of us passing over them). Screens work when teams get upfield too hard and fast; get too aggressive.
What happened to our inside shuttle pass we used to run until about 6-7 years ago.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDogs on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Just a thought from an old dog. I loved my time playing at wofford, and the fans and family i found there are irreplacable. Generally speaking, however, is injury news, especially regarding week-to-week stuff isn't common knowledge. From coach ayers to the media staff, it is generally prefered that the status of an all-conference DE or RB be a mystery for opposition to plan for.
ShortHairedDogs
Terrier Pup

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:54 pm

I agree that the screen pass isn't the cure to all our ills, but it is a tool to open things up. The shuttle pass worked when we ran that, too, but yes, it has disappeared recently. I guess my thing is that we should develop some common plays like these to address what the defense is throwing at us. Pounding the fullback has always been a big part of what we do, but I think it's become too much of what we do. In short, it's tough to run the EB-bone when you no longer have EB to run it.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Go Dogs. Greetings from Leirvassbu. Clemson is going to handily defeat many good teams. Weæll be fine.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:44 pm

ShortHairedDogs wrote:Just a thought from an old dog. I loved my time playing at wofford, and the fans and family i found there are irreplacable. Generally speaking, however, is injury news, especially regarding week-to-week stuff isn't common knowledge. From coach ayers to the media staff, it is generally prefered that the status of an all-conference DE or RB be a mystery for opposition to plan for.

To be fair Coach Ayers said on the Clemson postgame terriervision show that it didn't look like any of the injured players would be out for more than a couple weeks
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:32 pm

First time poster here. Looking forward to TTU game this Saturday. TTU looks to have a few weapons at the skill positions on offense. TTU's DL looked to be a little thin (especially compared against what we faced in Clemson). What will be our advantages/ disadvantages when they have the ball? Vice versa when we do?
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:08 pm

One things for sure........we got banged around Sat. by a really good football team. Seemed a bit tentative at the start on offense, and the "D" hung in there pretty good. Got a few things going later. The fly in the ointment is, we not once threw the ball down field to a WR. And the CU nose tackle was beating us like crazy. At times we looked like a sandlot team. Should have spread them as wide as possible, run misdirections and kept them out of the QBs face. They prepared well by keeping their defense up on the line, just like any Wofford opponent will do. Beat me with the pass if you will, but you are not going to run all day on my defense!

All that said, from the looks of things this weekend, we had better get our secondary spun-up 'cause TT is gonna sling it a bunch. They did give up a chunk rushing yards, so that should bode well for us.......we get a "W" me thinks

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:50 am

My fear is that we are facing yet another week where we don't know how they will defend us and what looks they will give us up front. So we will yet again go into the game "feeling them out". This doesn't bode well. We apparently prefer it when we know how a team has played us in the past so we feel confident they will play us the same way again.
If TTU is "thin" up front (thin as in weight/size? Or thin as in depth?), this bodes well.
Problem is we are very thin on the DL too by starting two true F at NG.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:33 pm

Actually, I really like our matchups with Tech in regards to our offense against their defense. Ill discuss more shortly. I think we have a good showing offensively.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football