Next Up: Tennessee Tech

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Next Up: Tennessee Tech

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:30 pm

What are our injuries going into this game?
What do we know about this team?
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Re: Next Up: Tennessee Tech

Postby mudrat43 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:29 pm

Any of you guys who are close to the program or have sons on the team, know how the injured from Sat. are doing? And how it looks for them next week? Thanks!

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:06 am

Historically, Wofford hits pretty hard the week after getting up off the mat, but I'm a little gunshy to declare that considering last year's Furman experience. That being said, I am hopeful that next Saturday is a better representation of what our team is capable of.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:59 am

We have some concerns on the injury front.
Last edited by 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:43 am

I tuned into the Tenn St/Houston game with TT ahead- I think 10-3 or10-7 and was stunned. They eventually got blown out, but jumped up early. They looked good in what small time I watched.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Tenn Tech is usually a good program. Id assume this season is no different. Going to go recon on them and will bring back what I find out.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:19 pm

http://ttusports.com/sports/fball/2015- ... game_recao

Tenn. Tech passed for 312 passing yards and only had 29 rushing yards.
Houston passed for 355 yards on Tech and Ran for over 272 yards amassing 627 yards of offense.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo65 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:38 pm

312 passing yards concerns me given the current situations with our defensive backfield. If Jaleel had not been hurt in week 1 I wouldn't be so concerned.

I think I've gotten over the Clemson game as it relates to the score and inconsistent O. In text exchanges with Ruckus I realized that I was hoping for much more from our Terriers against an elite program. I think we've been spoiled with our performances against the bigger programs over the past 5-10 years and perhaps many of us expected to hang much closer with the Tigers than we did. All in all, I believe the D performed as well as they could with the level of competition they were up against. I do believe the O could have been much more polished; but again, they were going against Clemson's vaunted D.

We'll survive.....as long as injuries don't take over.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:01 pm

According to Shanesy it looks like we'll have like 5 or 6 starters out for the Tennessee Tech game
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:55 pm

Loyalterrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:10 am

After watching IWF, I am glad to see Coach Ayers putting this behind him and looking forward to this week's challenge. What is troubling, is the talk of inconsistency and the need to simplify things to make it easier for our guys.

Ten or so years ago, Wofford had the most complicated playbook around with tons of misdirection and stunts. Our guys were capable of running those plays and we had a great deal of success. Over the last few years, I keep hearing this talk of simplifying things. We have more talent, both individually and depth-wise, so why the need to simplify? I understand the desire to make things easier, but are we doing that at the expense of our playbook? I don't know the answer to that, but I just don't remember all the talk of simplification a decade or so ago. I believe our guys are fully capable of a challenging playbook and I hope they get the opportunity to execute it to its fullest.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:38 am

We are not the most talented we have ever been except at one position (WR). I hear about all this "talent" and I see guys who pass the eye test but don't seem to make a lot of plays. Overall it looks like our football IQ is pretty average. That said, I do think we are way over coached (remember App St game in '07?). Guys are thinking too much rather than reacting and playing at top speed, especially on offense. I think we try to trick and scheme our way more than we should. One could argue that may be the case because we are less talented at many positions.
Simplification is a good thing.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:48 am

I suspect our offense is over-coached.
If a few players have problems during one season, the players can be held responsible. When this goes on over several seasons, it is a coaching issue. Last year, on several occasions we heard that the players weren't able to execute - something along the lines of "if they can't execute in practice, how can they do it during the game". We have 4 QB's "able to run our offense", but no leader has emerged and separated himself from the pack. There is no #1 on the depth chart, and I guess we will find out who the starter is Friday night.

With no #1 go-to quarterback, and our OC running a scheme he apparently is unable to coach, this may be a disappointing year.

The great 2003 team had very few "great" players, Matt Nelson being the exception, but did quite well for itself by executing and playing together as a team. What is worrisome is, that for the most part, we have the same offensive leadership as we did then.

Hopefully the team will surprise me, and I am sure the players will give a maximal effort. But, problems that should have been fixed in the spring are still apparently hounding us.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 am

Ruckus you bring up a very good point. Expound on that if you could for me. I like bringing up simplification.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 am

I think we try to do too much schematically: one back, no back, wingbone, spread option, even some wishbone and I back. This results in what appears to me to be sheer chaos getting personnel and position groups straight when signaling in the plays. How any times in the last 6-7 years have we seen us come out of a dead ball/TO/change of possession with a delay of game or forced TO because we can't get lined up? Happened at least 3 times in first half Saturday. This is a symptom of a larger issue. Our blocking schemes are generally the same despite multiple formations in the backfield but we still look somewhat tentative at times. We have gone to too much zone blocking for my tastes rather than lining up, getting the pad level down and coming off the ball like we used to.
I know all this "diversification" is being done to back defenses out of the box and make them honor more than the fullback. I just think there are more effective ways to do it. Teams like GaTech, Navy and AFA (and ChasSo and Cid) who run the TO are able to run the play action pass off of it with success. Why can't we? I think we have lost our way a little bit in this process.
This may contribute to the indecision about the starting QB. Each player does some of this smorgasbord well but not better than others in other areas. And of all of our apparent issues, this is the most critical. If we have a revolving door at QB (more than 2), we have in reality no QBs. Jacks comments to TS illustrate that we have to go into a game trying to "feel
out" what a defense is goin to do. Goodson was almost like a guinea pig to try to figure how CU was going to play us. This has gone on for years. There is little to no continuity in college football now so every year teams scheme us differently. How about running a scheme where we line up and do what we do and if needed, audible to somethig else if need be in our base formations. Just my 2 cents.
I believe our kids are working hard and playing hard. I think Saturday was just a factor of running up against a very very good football team properly prepped for us. My concern is injuries at this point and no clear decision at QB (although I think Jacks is clearly the best). We have to clear this up some way some how.
Last edited by Ruckus on Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football