Clemson Game Thread

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Clemson Game Thread

Postby Terrier13 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Well, we're down 21-0. Haven't really been able to stop them on defense yet, which isn't really surprising given their speed is just too much to handle. My greatest disappointment is that our offense continues to be stagnant. We haven't picked up a first down so far in the first half- we need to help our D out by getting a first down and giving them a chance to catch their breath- they certainly aren't gonna do it while the Tigers are running tempo. Here's to hoping this doesn't get to embarrassing blowout levels soon.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Re: Clemson Game Thread

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:50 pm

I definitely do not want a blowout but I am more concerned about injuries. Speller and Mike Jones already hurt. Now Green. Ugh !!! Not good at all
Loyalterrier

Postby Hobo on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Surprise, Jacks is moving the offense
Hobo
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:22 pm

35-7 at half. A glimmer of promise just before halftime. Three 1st downs and a TD on Jacks' 2nd series! Prior to that we had no 1st downs and a whopping 24 yards of total offense. Clemson is good, but...
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby wjtesquire on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:35 pm

This is not what I had hoped to see. Bad decisions from the coaches and no emotion from the players. What has happened to Terrier football?
wjtesquire
Terrier Pup

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:06 pm

You are right about poor coaching and no emotion. Why the hell didn't Jacks start? Not that it would have made a difference in the long run. I fear we might be in for a very long season. Good Wofford teams were able to hang with Clemson and USC in the past. We were never a factor at all today, beaten before it even started. If the guys aren't going to care and put forth a 100% effort, perhaps we should drop the sport of football and concentrate on and excel in other sports What is the answer to reviving this now dormant program? I wish I knew. I say it starts with ATITUDE, something we seem to sorely lack. We should absolutely despise the thought of losing. Wofford football used to be that way. We used to play with a constant chip on our shoulders. I just don't think that attitude is here anymore. It's like we are just going through the motions. The good news is the basketball starts in just over two months. I sincerely hope this team reads this post and gets pissed as hell at it and determined to prove it wrong. We need something to light a fire under their collective rears.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:27 pm

It's the first game and we did not catch a top 15 team napping. Let's not panic.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:10 pm

Lots of things I don't understand about this game.........Jacks was set to start on Fri. nite......then didn't? Why didn't Butler start? What is up with Wiemer, didn't get a touch? Was MA protecting the QBs? Then why not the running backs? Long and Colvin both back on kicks? Nobody got protected on D!!! Someone said the team looked uninspired.........really? Just really down about the injuries. 63 total plays on offense......not counting punts. 46 runs and 17 passes, that ain't a lot. Glad the passing ratio was a little higher....some even worked. I agree "dungeon", its the first game, (and a tough one at that) lets not panic just yet. We just got knocked around by a very good football team. Hope there was a good reason for the QB arrangement, and not something that is festering in the background. Still just hate all the blasted injuries!!!

"get 'em dogs, and shake "em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby wjtesquire on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Woffordgrad94 summed it up perfectly:

We should absolutely despise the thought of losing. Wofford football used to be that way. We used to play with a constant chip on our shoulders. I just don't think that attitude is here anymore. It's like we are just going through the motions.

if today's crapfest did not convince you we have a serious problem then watch a replay of last year's Furman game.
wjtesquire
Terrier Pup

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:37 pm

wjtesquire wrote:Woffordgrad94 summed it up perfectly:

We should absolutely despise the thought of losing. Wofford football used to be that way. We used to play with a constant chip on our shoulders. I just don't think that attitude is here anymore. It's like we are just going through the motions.

if today's crapfest did not convince you we have a serious problem then watch a replay of last year's Furman game.

I hate losing as much as any Wofford fan. I also know that the dogs caught the Tigers napping and worked that momentum to our advantage in 2011. I heard clearly all week Clemson was not taking us lightly. There are so many differences in personnel and circumstance from 2014. There might be problems. But I will not make that judgement until we face FCS competition next week.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:08 pm

This will not be Clemson's biggest blowout this year.
I did not expect us to stop their first team offense.
I did expect more from our offense.

The QB by committee scheme is quite worrisome.
Weimer was a captain but didn't play.
Goodson started but accomplished little against their starters and never returned. Why not give him a chance against their backups?
Butler did get good playing time, but a lot of 3 and outs.
Jacks played 3 series and left.

It is incredibly unlikely that we have four QB's of essential the same capabilities. The fact that no-one has been made the starter suggests there are serious issues. Either one or more players has issues, or our coaching staff is unable to make the call.

I was hoping QB by committee was a thing of the past.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Jacks is clearly the man. He moved the ball the best and scored the most points. You can't really say much about this game because they were just so much better than us and all off season to prepare for the option.

I'm still optimistic about this year. That touchdown drive was nice
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Jacks should start the remainder of the games. If he doesn't, then I'll really start to wonder about our coaching.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:57 pm

walliver wrote:Jacks played 3 series and left.

I'm hoping he was in long enough to nail down the starting job and then they got him out to keep him healthy.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Jacks played like 5 series
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football