Could Coastal Carolina's Move Affect SoCon?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Could Coastal Carolina's Move Affect SoCon?

Postby Southernpigskin on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Could Coastal Carolina's move to the Sun Belt potentially affect the SoCon? This is an interesting article that is definitely worth a read.

http://www.southernpigskin.com/socon/do ... ect-socon/
Become a Fan of Southernpigskin.com's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/SouthernPigskin?ref=ts
Southernpigskin
True Terrier Fan

Re: Could Coastal Carolina's Move Affect SoCon?

Postby woffordgrad94 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Kennesaw State maybe, but do we really want PC, Charleston Southern, and Gardner-Webb in our conference? Especially Garcner-Webb, with their academic issues, does not seem a good fit.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Re: Could Coastal Carolina's Move Affect SoCon?

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:07 pm

More schools means splitting the pot more ways and unless newcomers could add revenue to the league to increase the per member take, then its a non-starter. Adding any or all of the Big South teams would do nothing to make the SoCon a two bid basketball league or add substantially to the prospects of getting extra teams into the football playoff. Furthermore, not nearly enough broadcast market would be added either. Kennesaw State and Liberty are both pining to move up and shouldn't be counted on for the long term.

I don't see any membership additions in the future for the SoCon. With the conference at 10 teams right now and roughly the same revenue situation, the members are enjoying a financial increase currently. Unless UNC-Greensboro could be pushed out n favor of an extra football school, then I don't see it happening since getting to 12 football schools would not allow for a championship game like in FBS (but how much would a game like that make anyway?). As much as I'd like to see UNCG go, that doesn't make sense either because then you'd have to go to eight conference games to maintain the round robin and a lot of people would complain about the loss of OOC revenue if you did that.

All this being said, I always kind of figured that in the end the two conferences might join together, but at this point, the SoCon has the position of strength and shouldn't do anything that isn't a slam dunk win for the current membership. If the money works, then I am OK with getting back to 12 team or even expanding beyond that, but in times as uncertain as these are financially for schools at our level, it would be foolish to take on a bunch of schools just to put more dots on the conference map.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football