Coastal Carolina heading to the SunBelt.....

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Coastal Carolina heading to the SunBelt.....

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:07 pm

Announcement and presser coming tomorrow. Beat out EKU for the spot in the SunBelt conference
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Re: Coastal Carolina heading to the SunBelt.....

Postby Ruckus on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:11 pm

Can't say I am surprised or disappointed. Not sure it affects us one way or another. Rarely do we recruit same kids.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:34 pm

winnable money game in the future?
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigJohn94 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 pm

I have several issues with this. Their staduim does not meet the capacity requirements to be considered a FCS team, and would require sizeable expansion or a new stadium, and based on where their stadium is located, don't see how they would be able to renovate where it is currently located. Also, a school is supposed to average something like 9500 to 10k for a year, over a 2 year span, and I honestly don't know if they have had any year where they have been close to that amount. They may have had a game or 2 where they drew that type of crowd, but not an average for a year. I know they are new, but I really think their recent success in football and basketball has gone to their heads.

This could potentially help the SoCon if we decide to expand again. Teams in the Big South are: Campbell, Chuck South, Gardner Webb, High Point, Liberty, Longwood, PC, Radford, UNC-Asheville, Winthrop, Monmouth, and Kennesaw St. There are a couple names in that pot that could help the conference potentially, and not necessarily kill the academic strength of the conference.
"Ultimately, you are not defined by your height, weight, or speed; you'll be defined by your heart, you'll be defined by your passion." Coach Mike Ayers
BigJohn94
2011 Pickem Champ

Postby youngterrier on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:11 am

BigJohn94 wrote:I have several issues with this. Their staduim does not meet the capacity requirements to be considered a FCS team, and would require sizeable expansion or a new stadium, and based on where their stadium is located, don't see how they would be able to renovate where it is currently located. Also, a school is supposed to average something like 9500 to 10k for a year, over a 2 year span, and I honestly don't know if they have had any year where they have been close to that amount. They may have had a game or 2 where they drew that type of crowd, but not an average for a year. I know they are new, but I really think their recent success in football and basketball has gone to their heads.

This could potentially help the SoCon if we decide to expand again. Teams in the Big South are: Campbell, Chuck South, Gardner Webb, High Point, Liberty, Longwood, PC, Radford, UNC-Asheville, Winthrop, Monmouth, and Kennesaw St. There are a couple names in that pot that could help the conference potentially, and not necessarily kill the academic strength of the conference.

Liberty is trying to go FBS as well.

unfortunately everyone else on that list is either out of the way (Monmouth), doesn't add to the conference footprint (Chuck South, PC), or doesn't have a football team
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:50 am

Liberty is the best viable candidate for FBS if you ask me. Much better than EKU or CCU.
They average over 17k a game, and have a strong athletic program in all the major sports. But because of the Falwell/evangelical factor they are being spurned. Agree or disagree with their theology, I am not sure why that should matter. I guess their location isn't that great either.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrier06 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:00 am

Ruckus wrote:Liberty is the best viable candidate for FBS if you ask me. Much better than EKU or CCU.
They average over 17k a game, and have a strong athletic program in all the major sports. But because of the Falwell/evangelical factor they are being spurned. Agree or disagree with their theology, I am not sure why that should matter. I guess their location isn't that great either.

And most importantly: they've got the $$$$$$.
terrier06
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:49 am

I know their AD Jeff Barber. He is a high quality guy with great integrity and a proven track record. They have built their programs up with lots of investment in facilities and schollies. Seems like a natural fit to me but who knows.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Apparently, CCU's stadium was designed for potential expansion to 20K and renovations will begin soon.

The problem they will face is that, other than potentially ASU and GSU, there is no team in the Belt which will generate much fan interest. Basketball expenses will rise but they will still be in a one-bid league.

Their long-term "academic" goal to to have a larger enrollment than Clemson.

It is surprising how quickly this happened. ASU and GSU, both of which were prepared for the move, had to work and beg for years to get in. The Beach Chickens seem to be welcomed instantaneously.

I doubt this affects us much in any way, but could be devastating to the Big South, especially GWU, PC, and CSU. Monmouth is a temporary football-only member and will likely leave soon. Liberty is begging to leave, but has nowhere to go. Kennesaw State is playing a full Big South schedule in their first season, unlike ETSU, because the Big South needs the numbers. Not only is their auto-bid at risk, but scheduling OOC games in the latter half of the season is always problematic.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:13 pm

I have only hearsay info on Liberty, but it is this. What I heard is that there is some accreditation that Liberty does not have that affects it's attractiveness to other conferences.
As for the Big South, they are in big trouble in football if CC and Liberty leave-that's almost a Brent Musburger-ism it's so obvious. Kennesaw may be attractive to the Socon. While I like PC and GW they are very close and probably don't add that much to the conference. Both are decent schools and I like them as occasional early season games in football and basketball, but what do they bring that is attractive and adds to the conference footprint? I think Liberty adds more to the Sunbelt than CC, but I'm sure the idea of going to Myrtle Beach has appeal to all of the member schools. If Moglia leaves does the whole athletic department go with him. Interesting.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:18 pm

Although not about Coastal, there was an article in the P & C this past weekend that said C of C was once again pondering the prospects of putting on its big boy pants and adding football...no word yet on whether they want 8 man or powder puff :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150829/PC20/150829229

While not surprising to most of us, this quote from the article provides validation that the bigger conference isn't always the better option: "The College of Charleston fielded a football team from 1897 to 1923. But reviving a program that has been dormant for nearly a century could be a tough sell for an athletic department that lost money last year. According to NCAA figures, the Cougars’ athletic department ran a deficit of $681,000 in 2014."
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:21 pm

T-Dog 4 wrote:Although not about Coastal, there was an article in the P & C this past weekend that said C of C was once again pondering the prospects of putting on its big boy pants and adding football...no word yet on whether they want 8 man or powder puff :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150829/PC20/150829229

While not surprising to most of us, this quote from the article provides validation that the bigger conference isn't always the better option: "The College of Charleston fielded a football team from 1897 to 1923. But reviving a program that has been dormant for nearly a century could be a tough sell for an athletic department that lost money last year. According to NCAA figures, the Cougars’ athletic department ran a deficit of $681,000 in 2014."

When moving to the CAA, CofC's internal projections were that the move would be revenue neutral only if Davidson moved with them. They knew going into the CAA that the move was not profitable.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:47 pm

But they got their beloved Elon to move to the CAA! What a joke they are becoming in sports.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football