Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Clemson Predictions

Postby TerrierDomination on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:47 am

David Hood: Clemson Wins
The Terriers gave Clemson a scare a few years ago in the Valley, but this isn’t the same Wofford program and it’s not the same Clemson program. The Terriers actually played Georgia Tech tough last season – breaking a 92-yard touchdown run in the process – but close doesn’t count.

Nikki Hood: Clemson Wins
Over the last five seasons, Clemson has opened with an SEC foe – Auburn from 2010-2012 and Georgia in 2013 and 2014, but for a revamped defense and a quarterback coming off of a torn ACL – Wofford is the perfect opponent. The Terriers run the triple-option, but Clemson should win on talent alone and the game should give young players plenty or reps.

Mark: Clemson Wins
The Tigers are no pushovers on defense, as they were the third-best team in the nation last season in scoring defense. Their studs on the D-line will need to put a plug on Wofford’s Long and its resilient running attack. The last time that the Tigers met the Terriers was back in the 2011 season, with Clemson pulling away with a 35-27 victory after coming back from a 21-13 deficit in the second quarter. The Tigers have an 11-3 record overall against Wofford and 7-0 in the games that were played in Memorial Stadium. The Tigers start the new season in impressive fashion by mauling the Terriers.

John Best: Clemson Wins
I'll assume that Wofford and Appalachian will pose no problems for the Tigers, so we'll skip those two games - that should be easy wins.

Jimmy Boyd: Clemson Wins
The Tigers open up the season with two soft opponents at home with Wofford and Appalachian State. These should be easy wins for Clemson leading into their only Thursday night game of the season at Louisville.

Andrew Boardwine: Clemson Wins
I think it’s pretty obvious what Clemson will be trying to do in this one. They are going to be working on that offensive line, as well as the running back rotation on offense and then they will work on the front-seven rotation on defense. Wofford will probably keep the game close for a half, but then talent and depth will take over in the second half, making for a Tiger victory.

College Sports Chaos: Clemson Wins
The truth of the matter is this. Clemson is the better team. Wofford just doesn’t play football at the same level as the Tigers. This is a home game for the Clemson Tigers. The majority of teams that go into Clemson Memorial Stadium, leave with a loss, and the Terriers will be no different.

Josh Wheeler: Wofford Wins
Every big league DIV1 FBS opponent that Wofford has played since I started watching Wofford Football had a successful season. For example:
2011 against Clemson - Clemson wins the ACC
2012 against Carolina - Carolina was ranked #3 at one point that season
2013 against Baylor - Fiesta Bowl appearance (We actually did better than almost every other opponent that they clobbered)
2014 against GA Tech - Orange Bowl champion
Possibly a good omen for Clemson if they can defeat Wofford.
Trust me when I say that Wofford is sick of falling short to nationally ranked teams.
With a whopping 19 returning starters (10 offense and nine defense, plus a couple special-teamers) and 52 overall letterman back, IF Wofford can produce it's successful time consuming disciplined wishbone offense, Wofford confidently walks away with the win saying to themselves, "It's about time! Who's next?"

What are your predictions?

Wofford @ Clemson
TerrierDomination
Junior Terrier

Re: Clemson Predictions

Postby Wofford Dude from Montana on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:38 am

I would nominate the 2006 game vs South Carolina as Wofford's best attempt to stun the football prognosticators. (ala App State vs Michigan)
Camecocks were coming off loss against Georgia, and were plenty beat up. The coaching staff underestimated Wofford willing to play all out, and execute the option so well.
Even losing 27 - 20 the Terriers covered the point spread, and to me, that is a win for any small school versus a powerhouse program.
So I will take Wofford and the points vs Clemson.
It worked yesterday in Missoula vs the Bison, so I believe.
Wofford Dude from Montana
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:36 pm

I hope I don't anger anyone with this, but I just don't see how anyone can realistically pick Wofford to outright (straight up) win this game with a straight face. We simply have too much we have to prove after the last two seasons. It's the season opener so I think (hope) we will go into Death Valley full of motivation and ready to get the season underway and hit someone n another color jersey. Plus Clemson may take us a bit lightly to start out with. Therefore I think we will perform reasonably well and perhaps keep it close at least for a half or so. But Clemson is a legitimate Top 25 team with National Playoff hopes. Even if they come in looking past us, I think the talent gap and depth difference is too wide in the end. I think our mains goals are to give a reasonable account of ourselves and keep it from becoming inc a massive blowout and most importantly NO INJURIES! At the very least, we need to come out of this game healthy. Summary of my prediction: close in the first half but then the Tigers pull away...Clemson 38-14.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Wofford beats the spread
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:45 pm

My thoughts are fairly well in line with woffordgrad94's. I think Wofford can hang close for a while and then Clemson pulls away. I just hope we can escape Death Valley without any more injuries as that is probably the biggest determining factor in the success of the rest of our season.

As great as a win over Clemson would be, I think this is the week to play it safe, get a good start to the season, show some spirit but not too much of the playbook and keep our powder dry for the upcoming games. If I'm going all out for a win, I'm waiting for the trip to Idaho. True, that may not be nearly as big a scalp, but as Wofford tries to incrementally grow its program, that is a measurable step forward.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Preview in today's Charleston paper...not much in the way of real substance.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20150830/PC0312/150839918/1032/the-hangover-part-i-scouting-wofford
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:26 pm

From the Post and courier article '... the Terriers have played in six of the last 12 Division I-AA postseasons, never making it past the second round'. Where did they get their info ? I know for sure we made it past the second round in '03. Three other years we made it to the quarters. The reporter must be a Cit grad !!!!!
Loyalterrier

Postby WTFan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:06 am

My prediction...the score will not be pretty and it really doesn't matter. As long as we stay healthy and the players compete and improve it doesn't matter what the score is in this one. Basically, this is like a high school jamboree game. Very similar to the basketball team playing at Duke. We get $$ to help the athletic department, the players get a good experience playing in Death Valley and all is well with the world if we stay healthy. Sure it would be nice to "shock the world" but I don't see it happening this year. Clemson is a legit top 15 school in the country. We are a decent FCS school at this point. Shouldn't really be close. Surely hope I am wrong.
WTFan
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:53 pm

Loyalterrier wrote:From the Post and courier article '... the Terriers have played in six of the last 12 Division I-AA postseasons, never making it past the second round'. Where did they get their info ? I know for sure we made it past the second round in '03. Three other years we made it to the quarters. The reporter must be a Cit grad !!!!!

Most likely a CofC grad who knows nothing about the FCS playoffs. We made it to the third round (semis) in 2003. After the field was expanded, adding another round, we made it to the third round (quarters) in 2010 and 2012 (with first round byes in both). To be honest, however, 2003 was the only year we won two playoff games.

As for Saturday. I doubt we can stop Clemson. If the offense executes well, we can score a few TD's and eat up a lot of clock and keep it reasonably close. If the offense plays like the last two years, it will be a repeat of the Baylor game.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:58 pm

+1
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:43 pm

I have to agree with WTFan mostly anyway. Should not be close but who knows. You never know how it will turn out until the game is played. And that is the way it goes with any sport. One team or player may be more talented, faster, bigger, etc than the opponent and should win hands down. But if the other team/guy has the right attitude and executes good enough then.... Anyway as long as WoCo executes and performs well then the score really does not matter. Think back to '03. What was the score of the first game ? And what happened thereafter for the rest of the '03 season ? So a good whooping by Clem's son (not a typing error. haha) will not necessarily be a bad thing. I would for sure much rather win the game than the alternative. But we will get good exposure, nice $$, good experience. So it is a win win for the Terriers especially if we do come out with a W.

And last but not least do you remember (who could forget ?) MA's pregame Clemson speech in '11 ? I hope he gives another one like it. Maybe that will inspire the guys.
Loyalterrier

Postby Tnterrier2 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Clemson will score some points, no doubt about that. Hopefully our O can control the ball some and keep their O off the field. No matter what, this game is just the beginning of a long season. Clemson is a legit top 25 FBS team, with a Heisman Trophy candidate. We could play well Saturday and still get blown out. Let's just hope we can keep everyone healthy and get ready for a SoCon title run.

See you in Death Valley! Can't Wait!!
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Loyalterrier wrote:I have to agree with WTFan mostly anyway. Should not be close but who knows. You never know how it will turn out until the game is played. And that is the way it goes with any sport. One team or player may be more talented, faster, bigger, etc than the opponent and should win hands down. But if the other team/guy has the right attitude and executes good enough then.... Anyway as long as WoCo executes and performs well then the score really does not matter. Think back to '03. What was the score of the first game ? And what happened thereafter for the rest of the '03 season ? So a good whooping by Clem's son (not a typing error. haha) will not necessarily be a bad thing. I would for sure much rather win the game than the alternative. But we will get good exposure, nice $$, good experience. So it is a win win for the Terriers especially if we do come out with a W.

And last but not least do you remember (who could forget ?) MA's pregame Clemson speech in '11 ? I hope he gives another one like it. Maybe that will inspire the guys.

That speech, along with the Smith interview after the SoCon tournament a couple of years ago, are bookmarked in my browser.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:44 pm

19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Wofford Dude from Montana on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:25 am

Odds posted so far are Wofford gets 47.5 points.
If they play tough the first half and execute, and Clemson ends up just wanting to get off the field then Wofford surely can stay within that.
But then again if it is brutal first half, and Clemson 2nd and 3rd tier players are hungry and wanting to impress coaches,
it could be ugly, very ugly.

So here is hoping for a 50 point spread.

Seriously, I am taking the points. Griz Nation says "Go Wofford."
Wofford Dude from Montana
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football