Pre-Season 2015

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Pre-Season 2015

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:36 am

Any scrimmage updates, or will there be another thread on it. Keep me posted guys.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Here's my stream of consciousness: thought our timing on offense was pretty good with the option; tough to get a good read as personnel groupings were mixed. Weimer, Butler, Goodson Jacks played QB in that order. Weimer made 2 poor throws resulting in INTs, Goodson made few poor throws but all in all I though we passed it pretty well when given time (we still don't pass block well). Jacks looked really good on the option. Almost hooked up with Hellogar on a deep fade route in the end zone that was called out but looked close. Receivers are as talented as we have ever had as a group; Taylor, Motes, Irwin, Hill, Helligar all had nice plays on the ball. Gay has some nice runs as did Colvin. Childress and Long looked good, and Stoddard at the end showed some nice feet in the hole. Mcafee looks tiny; Marshall looks like a smaller Gay. TEs are sufficient receivers but need to get harder at point of attack. One fumble all day (on counter option when end crashed on Goodson). All in all, solid B plus day by offense. Several things I take away: Jacks is still the man, we still have trouble pass blocking, and our strength is still running between the tackles. That said, we have playmakers at WR, more so than RB really. Would love to see us try to get the ball in their hands more, even if a few get lined up in backfield.
Defensively, we looked good. However we are painfully shallow at S. Ward was held out of scrimmage and Reamer didn't play much. God help us if Green gets hurt. This is the scariest situation I have ever seen heading into Clemson especially. That said, I thought Tillery looked pretty sold and I liked Massey who is undersized but makes quick reads (reminds me of Higbie). Another downer is we lost Boudreaux today to a knee injury. Didn't look good and couldn't put weight on it coming off. Those F Dls better step up fast. Brown looked the best to me followed by Perlotte. Mangnum is pretty quick. This hurts us depth wise. Hope he is ok. Saw Morris; won't be back this year it looks like. No sign of Chamberlain. Lott held out too. Bragg in a boot and no Smith. Windham held out too.
Roach looked good (returned InT for long TD); Clemons is a stud at LB; Vaughn looked good as did Cornellier. Lemon looks like we he will contribute. Rountree had a nice INT off deflection. Noah Able had 2 nice INts. He has great ball skills but is just really small/skinny. Marvin kicked well hit 2 50 yeses although our punting was poor.
MA was hot on the OL most of the day and add whole team do up downs when circling up at the end because not everyone was running (I didn't see anyone walking). Good spirit and enthusiasm by team all day.
I'd say we are on schedule but we have to keep people healthy and those Safeties better get up to speed quickly.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks Ruckus, for your observations on todays scrimmage. Just started trying to get all the info I could find, out there in cyber space. Here's hoping we didn't get banged up too much......you're right about staying healthy being a big key to success. Love to hear the team had some passing success also. Really a big fan of speed and downfield passing. Again hope those big dudes up front on the line gel fast and become a cohesive unit quickly. Thanks again for the timely post!

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:02 pm

I'll stick with my QB order (not to argue because it really doesn't matter - Jacks was last): Weimer, Butler, Goodson, Jacks.
Agreed on the personnel groupings. But hard to believe Satafianos was in the first group; not to single him out but he was the one who blew the open field tackle on the screen that went for big yardage (Pace had a nice block to spring it).
Any word on Boudreaux?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:40 pm

Worst thing from the scrimmage summary that I read was that Morris is out for the season. Although if Boudreaux is out for the season then that could be equally as bad. Overall from Ruckus comments and scrimmage summary I am encouraged and excited. Hopefully there will be a highlight video of the scrimmage. GO TERRIERS !!!!!
Loyalterrier

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:55 pm

But Ruckus the article that the athletic department posted says Butler was out there the opening drive? You're right it doesn't matter. However it does make you wonder what the offense looks like if it's really Jacks or Wiemer out there at first with the 1's.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:38 pm

I like Jacks and Butler of the 4.
I don't care what the website says. I know what I saw (or at least I think I saw). LittleGiants can confirm or deny if I am wrong because he was sitting right beside me.
I think we are pretty well along in our installation of our schemes. It's just a matter of who can execute them. Safety is our biggest issue as far as positions. Then NG, then probably ROG and LOT.
If Ward isn't back or someone else goes down, Clemson may put a hundred on us. If offense doesn't step up, we will win no more than 6 games again, maybe 7.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:57 pm

I am now second guessing myself on the QB order. My elderly half-senile memory may be failing me. Not sure I stand to be corrected but not sure I shouldn't be either. Getting old is hell.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby 19TERRIER19 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:59 pm

RJ hurt with a groin strain. Been hurt for a few days. Also dropped bed on his toe and that's an issue. Should be back soon though.
19TERRIER19
True Terrier Fan

Postby Abey Ward on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:05 am

While practicing the triple option on Friday Niick got cut by a running back and tweaked his groin and hip flexor. He also nentioned that a bug is spreading, I had him go to the doctor on Thursday.
Abey Ward
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:30 am

It's the dog days of summer practice. Time to heal and start hitting someone other than ourselves.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:57 am

Video of the scrimmage is on the website. https://youtu.be/_wRnddJSjJ4
Loyalterrier

Postby lawdog on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 pm

Good summary. http://www.goupstate.com/article/201508 ... ?p=3&tc=pg

Hope RJ heals completely, sooner not later.

Sounds like Gouger has some nice hands.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:55 am

In a poll that means very little at this point, we are #140 in the land ... almost in the top half, FBS and FCS. http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football