I haven't been able to shake it off

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: I haven't been able to shake it off

Postby mudrat43 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Ruck.....why can't we get a talented QB like that? The word on the street up in N. FL. is that the (Wofford) recruiter for that area wanted to recruit the kid now at FU, and was told by Lang not to bother 'cause we (Wofford) have all the QB's we needed! Maybe just street talk, but............!

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:59 pm

Maybe some truth to it because we did. Probably needed to spend schollies at other positions of need.
Our QB recruiting leaves ALOT to be desired. I like Jacks and the others but none are game changing talents.
This is really our biggest weakness: we lack someone who can change the game on every snap. Maybe there is only me Shawn GraveS but we could be doing a lot better than we are.
We also need a QB coach IMO.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:39 pm

IMHO Jacks did well last year until he was hurt, and Weimer finished it well. Offensive shortcomings could not for the most part be fairly laid at the feet of the QB position. Coming into his junior year, we can reasonably have high expectations for Jacks, and Weimer (as a senior), and the others too. We can have great success with them, especially if we get a little more creative with our play calling at crucial times.

Remember that Mitch did not really get it going until his junior year, and Widmyer until late his junior year, as best I recall. Mitch may have helped us grab the brass ring if we had made a couple better, less predictable play calls vs. N.D. State late. And, would the Furman kid (Blazekowski, I think it is) be good running our offense? As Ruck suggested earlier, he will likely be second string for the Furples now that the other guy is healthy.

That said, I think we can all agree with Ruck that a truly game-changing talent at that position could keep us in any game against anyone, and raise the level of everyone's performance. We should make that a priority, be on the look out for it, and recognize it when we see it (Devin Watson?).
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:47 pm

Lawdog you beat me to it. You said exactly what I was going to say, every word. I 100% agree that I'm not sure the FU kid would be effective in our offense. Not many high schools are running the triple option so perhaps finding an elite qb that's already in that system is tough. Maybe they did say we already had enough qb's...wouldn't surprise me.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football