I haven't been able to shake it off

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

I haven't been able to shake it off

Postby Oak Grove on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Although we rebounded with a nice win against Mercer to end the season, I have not been able to shake off that abysmal performance against Furman. It has hung over me like a dark cloud for the entire off season. I still say that was the worst loss of the modern era.

Furman came in having lost eight games in a row, including being shutout 45-0 by Samford in their most recent home game and a 31-15 road loss at the hands of a 1-8 VMI team two weeks prior. Yet against us, they looked like Super Bowl champions, with their true freshman QB setting a new school record by going 15-15 on his passes. No play has haunted me more than when Furman converted a 3rd and 30 on a bubble screen in the second quarter. It was all downhill from there.

Hopefully, the start of practice will help to pull me out of this funk. Otherwise, I will need to seek counseling.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Re: I haven't been able to shake it off

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks for that reminder.
I think that one game changed my opinion and outlook on our entire program. I am sure our loss to UTC the week before had a lot to do with it (we lost any hope of winning the SoCon) but the fact that we rolled Mercer the final game makes it that much worse. I now have a very cautious regard for our program. It's such a thin line for us, nothing can be taken for granted or for certain.
Hope we get better this year (we should, on paper at least), but I am not counting on it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:10 pm

I did not see that game. Wasn't there something about several starters being benched to start the game, etc.? Why was that? (Hope there was a very good reason.) That in large part helped us get off to a shaky start, and from there the momentum was downhill.

But I don't think that was our worst loss. GW and WCU were two worse, in my view ... lost opportunities right and left to get our season off on the wrong foot.

But the past is past. This is a more seasoned group, it seems to me, and we are seriously trending upward.
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Last years game with Furman has been hard for me to get past as well. I had been planning to attend the Mercer game all year, but following the curbstomping against Furman I seriously considered skipping the trip, but after a couple days of reflection, I decided that there had been times in life that I let things slide and get away from me and that all I could hope was that that game was one of those days for the Terriers. I made the trip knowing I'd either see us come out with guns blazing or with our tents already packed for the offseason. Fortunately, Wofford put the embarrassment behind them and handled Mercer easier than anyone else in the conference all season which was the sort of "get off the mat and fight one more round" performance I was hoping for. That being said, it's hard to say our program carries much momentum into 2015.

This season will be made or broken by the non-conference slate. If we can make it through that at least 2-2 (3-1 is possible if lightening strikes) then we have a chance to build a conference run one week at a time. Less than that and I think a conference run is unlikely. Based on talent and schedule, this is the year for Wofford to get back on track. If they falter, then a new status quo will clearly be in effect. If they succeed, then conversations can be had about heading in the right direction.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:25 pm

Can't disagree with any of that. I often ponder many aspects of our program: do we have playmakers? Are we over coached? Are our schemes out-dated? Etc. but the bottom line for me is this: when we play together as a team, play really really hard, don't make mental mistakes like penalties and TOs, fly around with confidence not worrying about mistakes, and hit people in the mouth, we are tough to beat.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Since my son was one of the guys benched at the start of the game, I have some knowledge of what happened. :)

I got to the game a few minutes before kickoff and the guys had already gone back in, I was under the assumption that everything was fine. They come out and the D runs on the field and no Chris (or Brion). I was shocked to say the least. What I didn't know is that Chris, Brion, and Jaleel Green had all been injured in the Chatt. game. Their practice that week had been very limited and we had also lost both of the other two deep safeties due to injury. All of them were getting some extra attention before the game for the injuries, Green was the only one that made it down to the field at the proper time. The benching was a very slight punishment, and a reward for the other 2 corners that had practiced all week. Keep in mind: THEY ONLY MISSED THE FIRST 3 PLAYS. We started the game in the secondary, with both backups at corner, and the 3rd string safety, and at different points the 4th string walk on safety was in. No offense to those young men at safety, they did an admirable job, just stating a fact. Long also had a very minor discipline issue and was held out the first couple of series as well. None of it was major and not some sinister plot. I think the coaches thought we should be able to win anyway.

With that being said....

We laid an egg!!!! It was awful. There was a bit of a letdown, but Furman played great, and we didn't. It's that simple. The entire second line of the defense, LB's, safeties, and corners (Chris included) didn't have a very good day. The offense turned it over and didn't capitalize.

For the second year in row we went into Chatty with a chance to win the conference on the road. Both times we lost. That's a bigger loss than the Furman game in my opinion, because both times something was on the line. We get them at home this year. Hopefully this time will be different...
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:39 pm

For some of us, the FU game is as important as a chance to win the conference.
As I recall, Long had TO problems (fumbled at least twice) and had some issues on the bench with the coaches.
I don't remember the backups at CB being in too awfully long but we were short handed at S most of the day.
We made that freshman QB look damn good and as always they played us well defensively.
I remember an epic battle between Dozier and TO (Dozier won more than he lost). I also remember leaving as frustrated as I ever have as a Wofford fan at any point in my life. I admit it: I bailed on the Mercer game because I thought they flat quit. I have heard whispered rumors MA thought so as well.
Until we learn to beat FU (and GWU), we have little chance to win another SoCon title.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:48 pm

We used to routinely beat GW in our sleep, but recently that has turned around; the 3-0 loss in the hurricane was arguably our worst offensive (and coaching) "performance" in a decade.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:51 pm

After the INT return, they stoned us 3 times inside their 2 yd line. That was the difference in the game.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tnterrier2 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:03 pm

The GW loss last year hurt, for multiple reasons. (3 of the worst calls I've ever seen) At the same time I don't believe the players believe it ruined their season. Winning the conference and going to the playoffs was still very much in the cards so they focused on that.

Ruckus you're right beating the Furples is a big game. It was tough for all of us, considering how tough of a year they had last year. We should've beaten them. No question it was a hard pill to swallow. I've never asked MA if he thought they quit, but I will say I think our guys took them lightly. In my humble opinion to today's current crop of players, winning the Socon title and an opportunity to go to the playoffs is the most important thing, no matter who they face to get there. Whether it be Furman, Chatt., or Sammy, they want to beat all of them. This is the season of no excuses. Experience, favorable schedule, and talent are all in our favor.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby mudrat43 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Going back to a much earlier post I made about Furman. I had watched their QB here in FL when he played HS football up in north FL (St. Johns County). The guy is the real deal. He's big, strong and fast. And above all, he's a very competitive player. I had an uneasy feeling when I knew he would be the QB in that game. Almost single handedly, he made our defense look pathetic. Not only did he avoid the rush, he ran when necessary and PASSED the ball like a pro. Don't know if it was their scheme that totally befuddled us, or our lack of coaching, or we were just unable to perform......whichever, we really looked inept. And of course the offense never showed up for the game. Yep, he is just a freshman, gonna see a lot of him in the future. My opinion!

"get 'em dogs, and shake 'em"
mudrat43
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:59 pm

No doubt he is good. But the guy who was injured last year (Hannon) will probably put him back on the bench.
Last edited by lawdog on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:01 pm

As talented as he is, Reese Hannon is the man over there. At least they had to burn his freshman year because of Hannon's injury last year; so if Hannon starts his year, that only gives him 2 more years to hurt us.
Why can't we get a talent at QB like that?
Last edited by Ruckus on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:20 am

If we only go 1-10 in 2015, PLEASE let that win be against the Purple Pukes!
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:23 pm

I think that loss can be attributed to the youth of the team. They had no hope of the playoffs last year after the loss to Chatt.

I don't expect that to happen this year. Every coach gets commended for keeping a young team focus, but it's always overlooked when a young team performs poorly, unless it's consistently so. The furman game depressed me to not caring about last year, but I don't think we'll see that this year.

With that said there has got to be a lot of pressure for the terriers to bounce back this year.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football