Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Re: Mercer ticket allocation

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Well, at least you had a ticket......
There also one sure way not to have to endure this horrible treatment again by rude Wofford officials and us horrible arrogant Wofford people.
Wonder if your perception would be different if Mercer had the highest score on the scoreboard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L8UQaAJmYs&list=RD6L8UQaAJmYs#t=8

...I should, in closing, add, though, that my (fan) experience at Wofford wasn't even close to GaSou bad. I will never attend another game there as a visiting fan as being vomited upon by a coed at the concession stand and having to protect an elderly couple, who was being physically threatened in the stands by some Statesboro Townies, is not my idea of a fun Saturday.

In fact, I very well may be attending the GW @ Woff game this fall. I will not be wearing any 'opposing team colors' though, so I suspect I will be treated just fine, regardless of the score.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:42 pm

Recounting negative Georgia Southern experiences are like throwing red meat to this crowd. We've seen it all.

I can't answer the parking attendant questions because I had no problem that game (but I was just one car with no tailgate setup) nor have I ever had a problem. I've had issues other places over the years, Furman seems to be the worst, but most of those are all related to everyone building new facilities onto old parking lots (Wofford will fall prey to this shortly). No one like to be hassled so by association I will apologize for that and hope you don't have an issue down the road as I believe Wofford prides itself on being as "opponent friendly" as possible.

As for getting around the stadium post game, I've never sat on the visitor side, but if you were in the general parking lots down the hill from the stadium I don't see where you'd have needed to cut through the stadium. Be that as it may, I know what it's like to move through crowds with family members who don't get along as well as they sued to so again, I apologize.

I will say that Ruckus probably hits on something regarding the game itself and that influencing the memory. My perspective at that game was that the Mercer folks thought they were coming to Spartanburg to pick up an easy win against a team that had cashed in its chips. Discussion amongst the Bear faithful I waited in line with at the endzone ticket booth supports that. I know that enthusiasm is high at Mercer right now (and with good reason) so expecting to pick up a big win on the road to cap a nice season probably turned to some serious frustration pretty quickly once the game started. However, what I saw was a hard hitting game on both sides and a Mercer team that got frustrated when they got down. Ayers called the dogs off well before the end of the game (not a traditional Bobby Lamb trait) in a situation where I think we can all agree the final result could have been more lopsided.

All this being said, I hope a healthy rivalry can develop between Mercer and Wofford. Our schools share a lot in common and there is much to be gained from building a constructive relationship. I intend on being in Macon for our game this fall along with what I expect will be a nice Wofford crowd and I hope that Mercer fans will return in large numbers to Spartanburg in 2016.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:40 pm

My perspective at that game was that the Mercer folks thought they were coming to Spartanburg to pick up an easy win against a team that had cashed in its chips. Discussion amongst the Bear faithful I waited in line with at the endzone ticket booth supports that.

I hope you can describe those Mercer fans cuz I want to start tailgating with them and share what they were drinking. I can't speak for anyone else, but how in the wide world of sports any fan of a team that has only about 30 scholarship players in their 2nd year of a having a program with only 1 conference win to their 'credit' and that over the traditional doormat of not one, but two different FCS conferences could expect an "easy win" on the road over a 60+ scholarship team that has been to the playoffs in like 99 of the past 100 years that runs the triple option after watching their D get shredded by a T/O offense for over 500 yards just 2 weeks prior goes well beyond delusional. Those BearsFans must've been drinking LSD-laced, Everclear cocktails garnished with psilocybin mushrooms. Fortunately, the Woff @ Mercer game is early this year. I sure hope you can come find me and point those guys out cuz... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H89XiE7GWao

As for getting around the stadium post game, I've never sat on the visitor side, but if you were in the general parking lots down the hill from the stadium I don't see where you'd have needed to cut through the stadium.

Our group parked in the Public Parking area on what I guess are intramural soccer fields framed, somewhat, by Twitty and Scott Street on the scoreboard end of the stadium. I believe we paid the $10/car...just want to say that because paying was NOT the issue. It's $10 @ Mercer too, so our Group is used to that and fine with it. The stated ''issue' was that we got there 1st and had the best spot there - right up against the fence near the 'diamond' that is part of Scott Street...so Front Row, so to speak. And I suppose the rude-dudes were not pleased that 20 carloads of Mercer Fans had set up there and the Wofford fans had to park further away...not sure, really. It seemed to be public, 1st come, 1st parked and we arrived before the attendants.

Anyway...as you know the Players Dressing rooms/Buses are on the other end of the stadium. So when the game ended, we tried to simply walk down the steps along the edge of the visitors stands (on the playing surface, but nowhere near the field of play) and out the gate the players exited through. That leads up paved paths to the locker rooms. But we were stopped by 'Field Officials' and told we would have to exit the stadium at the other end and walk around. Well, walking around meant WAY around - all the way down to the football/soccer practice fields (I guess that's what they are) and then back up to the dressing rooms OR as I and several others did, finding an unlocked gate part of the way around and then side-hill traversing a virtual mountain, through a stand of trees to get there.

Then, when we left the young, battered Bears on their buses, we tried to go back down the paved path to walk to our cars thru the completely empty, but still unlocked stadium. Again, we were told by a couple of young Field Officials still hanging around..."Oh no, you can't walk back thru the stadium, we have already put the rope up (the rope was to the stairs back up into the stadium) and, so, you would have to walk across the field and we can't let you do that." Having had enough of this BS and because I happened to be walking beside Mercer's QB, who was riding back with his parents, I said, "I'm sorry. This young man just took a beating for 3 hours and I'm not going to let him walk all the way around the way we just came. We'll climb over the rope." They said, "No...you can't (watching me walk toward the rope)....well, OK, we'll let you this time, I guess." And we all stepped over the rope, walked thru the visitor's stands and out the stadium to our cars....easy-peasy.

Thanks for the apologies Eyes...not necessary. I really just brought this up in jest when I was asked to 'splain the Mercer ticket policy. But then the obfuscated post(s) saying that I was lying about it started appearing. I can assure anyone that these things happened and that they would have teed me off just as much if the score was 100-0 the other way. I can't stand pettiness and I don't like to see older folks or tired players being treated that way by anyone from any school. I may have mentioned this already, but the gentleman who got the most guff from the rude-parking dudes is a a world-class Tailgater and this was his son's last football game ever. Because of that, he planned the whole event for our Group. He stayed 2 nights in the Upstate. He called Wofford's Athletics Department the week before the game and tried to reserve a spot, to no avail...which is normal in the SoCon (I've found)...except at Mercer, where they (last year; not sure they will do it in 2015) provided, at no charge, fantastic roped off tailgating spots right next to the stadium for fans from FU, WCU, and El Cid. So, he scouted out the spot where he set up, drew maps to it, distributed the maps to the group, texted or called us when he was set up and 'radio'ed' us in to the 'landing zone.' This was his swan song as a Tailgating Football Dad of 10 or more years and he put his heart into making it perfect for everyone in our Group. It turned out fine, except for the score of the game...but like any Football Dad, I'm sure he's had to console his son after a loss or 3 over the years. So, sorry, ruckus, the outcome of the game was NOT the problem. The PROBLEMS were 2 rude parking dudes and 2 or 3 ridiculously 'efficient' Field Officials. Everyone else I encountered that day - ticket booth guy, concessions guys, and Terrier fans were fabulous. I just felt really bad for the Tailgating Dad, the old, fat, crippled folks who had to walk a mile to see their sons and grandsons after the game, and the beaten-down Competitor, who was told that he could not walk thru the empty, but still open stadium where he'd just left his heart and blood on the field of play.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:14 am

It bothers me that Wofford and their fans have such a bad reputation throughout the conference for arrogance. Some here might try to deny this reputation/stereotype exists and I personally always try my best to be the antithesis of that stereotype by remaining humble, but believe me, I know how Wofford College is thought of by many fans of other schools. I have been prejudged at places like App State and The Citadel by people that didn't know me from Adam personally. I realize some of this might be sour grapes resulting from losses to a small school they don't think should ever be able to beat them, but in any even I apologize for all the crap you and your guys went through at Gibbs Stadium FuBear, for what it's worth. I know what it feels like to be treated rudely.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:09 pm

It bothers me that Wofford and their fans have such a bad reputation throughout the conference for arrogance. Some here might try to deny this reputation/stereotype exists and I personally always try my best to be the antithesis of that stereotype by remaining humble, but believe me, I know how Wofford College is thought of by many fans of other schools. I have been prejudged at places like App State and The Citadel by people that didn't know me from Adam personally. I realize some of this might be sour grapes resulting from losses to a small school they don't think should ever be able to beat them, but in any even I apologize for all the crap you and your guys went through at Gibbs Stadium FuBear, for what it's worth. I know what it feels like to be treated rudely.

Sorry I couldn't respond to this sooner, WG94. I was in Maconga all day watching the Bears in their 1st day in pads. Thanks for your post, but I just want to say that I don't know that any of the 4 or 5 people who caused our issues were Wofford grads. They could be hourly employees of an Event Management service for all I know. So, I don't know that any Wofford Alums were an 'issue' that day. As I said, all of the Terrier Fans I spoke with were very nice and friendly. Several were even probably over-complimentary of Mercer's Football Team considering their performance that day. The Wofford folks in the Ath. Dept. that weren't willing to reserve a spot for our Group, were no different than those from VMI or Samford. I don't think they were rude to my Tailgate Dad Friend...just not willing/able to help - maybe as a matter of policy; which is fine. We didn't even try to speak with the folks from Chatt. because, I believe, the City, not the University, owns and runs the stadium there. So, no need, as far as I'm concerned, for the 'falling on your sword.' I'm an FU grad and 'we' pretty much have that same rep - comes with the size of the school, the price to attend, and the academic standards of the school. Whether it's accurate or not for WC or FU is one thing, but 'they' are going to say it regardless. And FU peeps and WC peeps are going to say it about each other too. :D Again, the only reason I went into the 'gory' details were the, essentially, "You're lying. This cannot be true at WC" posts that followed my semi-jesting mention of it. It's all good. Hope y'all have a BIG TIME in Macon almost as much as I hope you hate the outcome of this year's game....and I hope everybody treats you there as nice as they have treated me and my family for 3+ years. They're pretty good with the 'big tent' attitude down there and I hope that continues. Whatever the ticket 'situation' is or appears to be; just don't worry about it, come to the game, you'll be able to get in and will have a great time...y'know...except for that final score thing...HOPEFULLY. :D

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby crabbyterrier on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:49 pm

fUBear, the people that handle the parking and field security work for a private events staffing company and are not school employees. They have rules and regulations given to them from their superiors at the direction of the college. Now, that being said, they have a job to do and they do as they are told. Just because you do not like the rules and regulations doesn't mean you get to argue with them and be confrontational, which is what it sounds like you and your "tailgating champion" friend were being. Why do you think the rules do not apply to you? Just because you don't like them??? It sounds like the event staff had to get "bowed up" because you and your friends were the ones being rude. Just because you don't like the rules doesn't mean they don't apply to you like they apply to everyone else. Where do all these people get this sense of entitlement???

As far as the treatment of the teams on the field "the Bears in 2014, as was my team in '79, were also subjected to complete hostility on the field." Really??? Of course they and you were!!! It's a football game!!! as long as they are playing fairly, I hope they are hostile , crazy animals to all opposing teams while on the field, playing with complete abandon!!!
It's not a dance.

When I come across fans from opposing teams, I go out of my way to be as warm welcoming as possible. If I run into you at a game, I will invite you to our tailgate, as I would any other opposing team's fans.

GO TERRIERS!!!
If you can't pee with the BIG DOGS,
stay out of the tall grass!
crabbyterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:26 am

@crabby,

First - the easy one - I was completely joking about being treated badly as a player in '79, etc. I thought that was plainly obvious, but I guess not.

Second - good to know they were not Wofford grads or full-time Athletic Department officials. I really didn't think the rude parking dudes were, as that type of rudeness usually isn't part of the 'picture' with schools like Wofford, Furman, Samford, and Mercer

Third - please, since you do sound knowledgeable about how parking/games are managed, explain to me what rule was broken by parking in a public parking lot and setting up a tailgate no different than hundreds of cars/groups that arrived later. As far as I heard, the rude dudes never explained any rule that was being broken. They just said our Group had to take everything down & move to the far back corner of the parking area. If they had been there when we arrived and directed our Group to that area, I'm sure we would have complied, just as we did at Chatt. when their relatively not rude parking dudes came over as we were beginning to set up grills in 1 of the grassy medians in their public lot. They, without being rude, explained those areas were reserved for RV Parking and we had to move our stuff or pay an additional amount ($50, I think) to use that area. If we were fully setup, I imagine we would have paid, but since we just started, we moved the few items we had brought out & set up behind our cars as directed. We invited the parking dudes to come back & have some of the huge fish fry we were doing that day & then we invited a couple of nearby UTC frat groups to join us. I don't think the parking dudes came back, but the frats & dates had some great food & we enjoyed talking to & bantering with them pre-game. BTW - even though the RudeDudes had not yet shown up for work, the gates to the parking area were open & my Tailgate Dad's Friday 'recon' had confirmed that the lot we went into was a public parking area. Nobody in our Group shows up looking for a problem. We just found one in the RudeDudes.

Fourth - when we were told to go around at the end of the game, nobody argued or attempted to be non-compliant. We didn't like or understand it, but we turned around and embarked upon a senseless hike, that, apparently Wofford does believe is the right way to treat Families of Visiting Players, who are always going to want to see their sons post-game & see them off on their buses. I suspect the Wofford Players' Families do that as well when 'on the road' and I doubt any of them would welcome such a trek, when a much more direct path is readily available. If you are involved in game management in some way, please reconsider that policy. It is an awful way to treat the many elderly family members that attend their sons'/grandsons' games there. The walk to the stadium & negotiating the stadium steps (anyplace, not just Wofford) is hard enough on them.

Fifth, you are correct about (initially) breaking the (apparent) rule about walking thru a completely empty, but unlocked stadium. I was (initially) guilty of that 'trespass' & considering the alternative hiking distance that would have been required, I would be (initially) guilty of it 1000 times out of 1000. I will say that I was relatively polite and not verbally confrontational. I just told them what we were going to do, why we were going to do it, and that we would not walk across the field, all without 'arguing' with them. You may have noticed in my post that they then said "OK, we'll let you this time." So, technically, there was really no rule broken there either as they provided verbal authorization to do exactly what we did. So, if that is actually a 'rule,' I guess it's not a 'hard' rule. It seemed to me to be just a way to inconvenience visiting players' families as that was obviously our 'designation' - wearing orange and walking with a few well-conditioned young men with wet hair carrying Mercer Football travel bags with their numbers on the bags.

Finally, I find it very hard to understand why a number of posters here feel the need to go into "Attack Mode" around this situation. Everyone should be proud of their school & their team, but to, essentially, call someone a liar without having any knowledge of the the facts of the matter, then to say it's all just 'sour grapes,' and then with your post intimating rampant rule-breaking & clearly implying I / we were looking for a 'fight' and impugning my character, as one might speak with a child, 'why you think the rules don't apply to you,' doesn't seem very congenial at all. It almost, to me, seems to support the possible conclusion that the 3 'incidents' I've described are nothing but unnecessary & unwarranted petty harassment of visiting fans that is part of the 'gameday' at Gibbs Stadium. I'll choose not to believe that though & continue to believe they were the result of a couple of poorly trained temps who may have been late to work & post-game management policies that have not been completely considered...unless anyone can offer better explanations...which is, if you will read the whole thread, what I simply asked for in the 1st place...and that question was really just asked in jest...until the ATTACK DOGS came out barking and growling.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby walliver on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:03 am

There is a rule about setting up tailgates behind vehicles, which is why most tailgaters park along the outside of the field. The rule is intermittently enforced, and I forget the details. I generally do what I want and feign ignorance when confronted. Generally parking along the edges gets around problems, however.The concern is about tailgating blocking off other spots or blocking access for others. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no signage to inform people of the rules. Some of these rules were designed to protect the trees which had been planted to provide shade for tailgating in years to come - the same trees which will all be cut down in November. When you return to Gibbs in 2016, the parking situation will be much worse, so come prepared.

The rules about entering the playing surface are technically SoCon policies, many of which evolved from the participation of the South Georgia Crackers. Wofford is one of the few SoCon schools that aggressively enforces conference policy.

It would be interesting to hear your opinion after playing in Johnson Hagood Stadium this year. I think you will appreciate Gibbs more after your experience there. The home side is very nice though.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:59 pm

There is a rule about setting up tailgates behind vehicles, which is why most tailgaters park along the outside of the field. The rule is intermittently enforced, and I forget the details. I generally do what I want and feign ignorance when confronted. Generally parking along the edges gets around problems, however.The concern is about tailgating blocking off other spots or blocking access for others. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no signage to inform people of the rules. Some of these rules were designed to protect the trees which had been planted to provide shade for tailgating in years to come - the same trees which will all be cut down in November. When you return to Gibbs in 2016, the parking situation will be much worse, so come prepared.

I read the Wofford tailgate rules about 'behind vehicles' prior to attending the game and was completely baffled to understand what the heck they meant. I ain't real bright though - as I said - FU grad & Clemson grad degree...probably puts me in bottom 1/3 of human intelligence, at best. Regardless, the rude-dudes did not express any issue with our tailgate set-up itself. We were along the edges and we were near, but not 'into' the trees, by any means. The only problem he expressed was that, in his judgement, we were not in the right place. We belonged in the far back right corner of the area, not in the front middle where we were (near the gate to the stadium and the porta-potties)

The rules about entering the playing surface are technically SoCon policies, many of which evolved from the participation of the South Georgia Crackers. Wofford is one of the few SoCon schools that aggressively enforces conference policy.

I scanned through this not quite current SoCon Manual and did not find anything about spectators entering the field of play. http://www.soconsports.com/fls/4000/socon/members_only/Conference_Manual/2013-14/2013-14_Conference_Manual_and_Sport_Regs.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4000 Maybe it's in there, but I didn't see it. If it's not, there certainly should be SOMETHING about keeping spectators off the field during play! But if that were in there, I would highly doubt that it would apply to a full hour after the conclusion of the contest. Just to be clear, we're talking about a 25 yard walk about 20 yards from the actual playing field to get to the stadium stairs. I can safely say that this (and much more POST-GAME access) is allowed at Mercer, Furman, Chattanooga, and VMI. We didn't need it at Samford since their dressing rooms are so far from the field and on the same side as the Visitor's seating...so I don't know what they allow.

It would be interesting to hear your opinion after playing in Johnson Hagood Stadium this year. I think you will appreciate Gibbs more after your experience there. The home side is very nice though.

I've played in JHS and been there as a spectator and had no issues (other than those dang sand-gnats biting my a$$ during our Friday walk-thru), but I didn't need post-game access to visiting players in either of those situations. I don't remember my family having any issues when I was playing, but that was back before fire had been invented, so I'm sure things might have changed a bit. Looking forward to a trip to Charleston this Fall though, regardless!

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Tnterrier2 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:35 pm

FUbear I do hear our announcer saying that per SoCon rules the stadium must be clear, I think, 30 minutes after the conclusion of the game. I've heard other SoCon stadiums announce the same thing. Now how much any of them or Wofford for that matter enforces the rule who knows. I have noticed Western Carolina and Furman are a little stricter with this rule, but Sammy and Chatty not so much, at least when it comes to parents waiting to talk to players near the field. However..

My sons old high school coach had a son play at Samford, and he came to the Wofford/Sammy game in Spartanburg 2 years ago. We all stood in the parking lot behind Richardson where the visitors buses usually are. When we were done they did not allow his family to enter the stadium due to that same rule. So as we were walking we see someone else walking through the visitors stands headed out. So perhaps that day you all ran into an attendant that was strict, instead of the one that wasn't.

I'm looking forward to our trip to Macon this year. Spent the night there on our drive to Florida this spring, interested to see it in the daytime.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:57 pm

My sons old high school coach had a son play at Samford, and he came to the Wofford/Sammy game in Spartanburg 2 years ago. We all stood in the parking lot behind Richardson where the visitors buses usually are. When we were done they did not allow his family to enter the stadium due to that same rule. So as we were walking we see someone else walking through the visitors stands headed out. So perhaps that day you all ran into an attendant that was strict, instead of the one that wasn't.

Thanks TNT - sounds like it (not walking back thru the stadium long after the conclusion of the game) is a Wofford policy then, but that it is loosely enforced...as it, ultimately, was in our case. So....I think we are, finally, getting somewhere. I think Visiting Players' Families Access/Path of Access to their Players post-game and Egress/Path of Egress back to their cars post-buses departure is something that, as a host, Wofford Athletics / Game Management may want to consider/re-consider. I'm estimating, but I would guess the total (incremental) distance that elderly parents/grandparents are required to walk by this policy is close to a mile..1,760 yards to a mile, right? I'm just looking at the Google Map and looking at the way around and back vs. straight thru and trying to use the 120 yards of the field as a 'guide.' Whatever it is, it's a long way...and some of the terrain - down the hill by the Twitty St. octagon is not even - risk of old folks falling and breaking a hip (and suing Wofford because of the policy, perhaps) maybe is enough to reconsider. Don't be childish in responding to that...it's not a 'threat'...I'm just thinking about possibilities and reasons why it might should be looked at.

So, I think and hope that we arrived at the point of constructive criticism and maybe someone can bring it to the right eyes/ears. I imagine after your visits to Macon this Fall, you will have some "I wish they would do _____'s." I can tell you one right now. There are no players showers in the visitors' FIELD locker room. The players have to walk (outside) up to the University Center and shower, then come back to the locker room/bus area. Not good at all and it should be addressed. I hope it will be when Mercer starts building the Press Box on the double-deck side of the stadium the day Mercer's Football season is over - so January 10th, 2016 :D .

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Tnterrier2 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:10 pm

Funbear one point of clarification. I am saying it's NOT just a Wofford policy to allow people to walk through the stadium after the game. I am saying I've heard it's a SoCon rule that people are not allowed on the field once 30 minutes of time after the game is concluded. In other words, clock hits 0, 30 minutes later field must be completely cleared. Because of the way our stadium is designed I could see them not allowing people back in at all, that way not to tempt people from running on the field. I'm sure that's supposed to be done in all stadiums for the reason you jokingly alluded to. Not have some kid running around on the field an hour later and break his leg, and then the school or conference gets sued. Unfortunately you didn't know it at the time but there was a way to walk through the intramural field behind the visitors stands to reach that other parking lot. I'll be using that route a lot this year since they've moved the parent lot right beside the visitor stands in the circle. I was just saying it sounds like all stadiums enforce that rule more loosely than others.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:45 pm

Unfortunately you didn't know it at the time but there was a way to walk through the intramural field behind the visitors stands to reach that other parking lot.

TNT - I think I found that 'way'....and that's the way I went, but it was more suited for a mountain goat than a broken-down, achy-kneed former OLman. Maybe not - maybe there was an easier route...wouldn't be the 1st time in my life that I've selected the path of MOST resistance.

it's a SoCon rule that people are not allowed on the field once 30 minutes of time after the game is concluded. In other words, clock hits 0, 30 minutes later field must be completely cleared. Because of the way our stadium is designed I could see them not allowing people back in at all, that way not to tempt people from running on the field. I'm sure that's supposed to be done in all stadiums for the reason you jokingly alluded to. Not have some kid running around on the field an hour later and break his leg, and then the school or conference gets sued.

Yeah - I can understand that, but I sure would like to see it as a 'written' SoCon rule somewhere...and I imagine it's certainly open to a lot of interpretation - the playing surface, the entire field, the stands, the entire stadium complex....Anyway - worth taking a look at.

I guess you are a Player's Parent - sorry your son is going to have to do the walk to shower and back...it sucks....but it was worse when FU was in Sirrine Stadium in downtown GVL back in the day....Only a shed in the end zone for halftime gathering. The players dressed in the Sheraton about a 1/2 mile up the hill and had to walk back up that hill after the game to shower in the hotel. I'm sure Wofford just bused over and back in 1980, so they didn't have to endure that. The game was bad enough - awful 10-10 tie in rain on a muddy field. Other than the shower thing, I think Mercer is a heckuva place to see the game. Chris Boudreaux's Mom can tell you about it as she was there to watch their other son, Jeb, when Stetson played @ Mercer in 2013. I guess she's going to get to make 2 trip to 5 Star Stadium this Fall.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Tnterrier2 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:54 pm

Fubear it's a running joke in our family that I will always be the one that gets in the wrong line in the store, or pulls up to the wrong pump at a crowded gas station, so I am very familiar with the path of MOST resistance. I totally understand the hard walk. I'm not sure if it's a written conference rule anywhere, I just know I have heard it announced in all of the SoCon stadiums, some just don't enforce as viligantly I suppose.
Tnterrier2
True Terrier Fan

Postby BearDownMU on Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:48 pm

Man, I wanted to get in the mix on this one earlier, but I just got my registration for the board in! ;)

Us Mercer folks are probably a little spoiled since a really nice little tradition has started at our home games. After the game is over, we actually come down to the field and circle around the team, with Coach Lamb in the middle, and are allowed to listen to him give his immediate post game talk before they head to the locker room. Pretty cool, I must say.

That aside, I hope you guys have a good trip to Macon. We are proud of our little facilities and campus, and I hope you have a great visit. Assuming of course, you can get a ticket.
Some days you eat the Bear, some days the Bear eats you!
BearDownMU
Junior Terrier

PreviousNext

Return to Football