Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Mercer ticket allocation

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:38 pm

FUBeAR5467 wrote:
Based on what you saw in Spartanburg in the last game of the season last year, I absolutely understand them, but I still like them...a lot. :D

Speaking of Mercer, can you please explain why football tickets are not being allotted to visiting teams? I will withhold comment until I hear, because surely there is a good explanation.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Re: Question--How good can we be?

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:24 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:

Speaking of Mercer, can you please explain why football tickets are not being allotted to visiting teams? I will withhold comment until I hear, because surely there is a good explanation.

Well, I don't work for Mercer Athletics Marketing/Tickets, etc., so I can't in any way, officially, answer your question. And I can't speak of what Mercer is doing ticket-wise for the 2015 season either. What I can do is try to explain what I believe Mercer's thought processes were behind the way they handled tickets in 2014. I have done this on the FU Board, the MU Board, and probably on AGS as well - more than a few times. Also I don't expect anyone to stand up and cheer for nor agree with what I believe Mercer, apparently, did in 2014 as anyone has yet to reply, "That makes perfect sense. I understand completely." when I have 'trotted out' this explanation. I do find it difficult to understand why though because it makes perfect sense to me and would, regardless, of which team I supported. My explanation is not a 'quick' one and because the issue is more complex than, "Where are my dang tickets!" (unless you choose to only see it that way), I will take the time to try to explain it in some detail.So, without further ado...

The Southern Conference has a rule regarding the number of tickets that each home school must supply to the visiting school. I'm not exactly sure of that number, but it's somewhere in the 300-400 ticket range. The visiting school can choose to allot/allocate these tickets however they wish - player's families, coaches' families, key supporters - however they want. Mercer followed this Southern Conference rule to the letter in 2014 and I'm sure they will again in 2015.

Unlike every other current SoCon school, all of Mercer's Football games, to date, have been sellouts or near sellouts, with the exception of the Berry game in 2013, which was played in a virtual monsoon. When any business has more demand than capacity, the last thing they probably need to do is to seek alternate sales distribution points in order to increase demand for a limited/non-existent capacity. Conversely, when a business has more capacity than demand, an alternate sales distribution point is an excellent way to increase demand. If that sales distribution point can be created at no additional cost to the business, all the better. Every current SoCon school, other than Mercer, generally has much more seating capacity than they have demand for tickets. So those schools welcome the 'free' sales distribution point they can access by selling tickets through the Visiting Team's Ticket Offices. So, they make the correct decision, for THEM, by doing just that. There is no SoCon rule stating that they have to.

Mercer, on the other hand, receives little, if any, value by adding an alternate sales distribution point. In fact, Mercer 'violates' a key component of their mission as a University and would be acting detrimentally to their Football Program by doing so. Macon is a city that has been quite economically depressed in the past 20-30+years. During the early years of this depression, I have been told that the University pretty much 'pretended' that they were not part of Macon and viewed their campus as an 'island apart' from the troubles of the City of Macon. This has drastically changed in recent years and Mercer is now, actually, a key leader and driving force in the revival of the City. If it's not part of their stated mission, it's obviously part of their unstated one. I'll save all of the examples of that, but I will relate that the re-starting of the Football Program is one of many pillars of that strategy. One look at the mixed use complex now under construction across Mercer University Drive from the Football Stadium will confirm that. Mercer Football needs to be all about Macon, Bibb County, and Middle Georgia FIRST in order to support a major reason for its existence. That relationship is symbiotic though. Mercer Football absolutely needs to CONNECT with the people of Macon to ensure its success in its nascent years and its growth for the future. Macon is noted for being highly fickle with it's 'early love' and quick 'break-up' with athletics franchises - minor league baseball, hockey, etc. Maconites LOVE Mercer Football now and Mercer Football cannot do anything to jeopardize that 'love affair.' When it comes to tickets, Mercer Football needs to 'take care' of Maconites just after Football Families and Mercer Alumni, but well ahead of the good people of Greenville, Chattanooga, Birmingham, Charleston, Spartanburg, etc.

So, most likely, the Wofford Ticket Office will not have tickets to the Mercer game for sale. If the Wofford Athletics/Football Department chooses to use 1 or more of their allotted tickets to provide to you, then you are in great shape. If not, then you can probably purchase tickets from the Mercer Ticket Office. If you are unable to purchase tickets from the Mercer Ticket Office, then, if you show up for the game, you will most likely be able to purchase a ticket at the gate. The stadium has large areas for General Admission seating and no view is bad. I rarely spend more than 5 minutes in my reserved seat because I love the different views I can get in the GenAdmin areas. I know of no one who has ever been turned away from a Mercer Football game, despite the games being 'sellouts.' As long as the Fire Marshall lets people come in, Mercer will sell you a ticket. And, I believe the Fire Marshall must be a HUGE Mercer Bears Football Fan.

Please don't get your BVD's all in a tangle, as many of your neighbors down I-85 and some of the ones down I-26 did last year BEFORE the game. It's just a different approach and there are really good reasons for it. If you can fight your way through the Atlanta traffic, you'll have a great time at the tailgate/game. I, of course, hope you leave sad/mad :) , but it won't be because you couldn't get a ticket or you didn't enjoy the game itself.

Now - if you can explain to me the draconian parking policies and the more-than-surly attitudes of the ParkingNazi's at Wofford, I think we will have greatly advanced the prospect of World Peace today.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Art Vandalay on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:05 pm

FUBeAR5467 wrote:
dungeonjoe wrote:

Well, I don't work for Mercer Athletics Marketing/Tickets, etc., so I can't in any way, officially, answer your question. And I can't speak of what Mercer is doing ticket-wise for the 2015 season either. What I can do is try to explain what I believe Mercer's thought processes were behind the way they handled tickets in 2014. I have done this on the FU Board, the MU Board, and probably on AGS as well - more than a few times. Also I don't expect anyone to stand up and cheer for nor agree with what I believe Mercer, apparently, did in 2014 as anyone has yet to reply, "That makes perfect sense. I understand completely." when I have 'trotted out' this explanation. I do find it difficult to understand why though because it makes perfect sense to me and would, regardless, of which team I supported. My explanation is not a 'quick' one and because the issue is more complex than, "Where are my dang tickets!" (unless you choose to only see it that way), I will take the time to try to explain it in some detail.So, without further ado...

The Southern Conference has a rule regarding the number of tickets that each home school must supply to the visiting school. I'm not exactly sure of that number, but it's somewhere in the 300-400 ticket range. The visiting school can choose to allot/allocate these tickets however they wish - player's families, coaches' families, key supporters - however they want. Mercer followed this Southern Conference rule to the letter in 2014 and I'm sure they will again in 2015.

Unlike every other current SoCon school, all of Mercer's Football games, to date, have been sellouts or near sellouts, with the exception of the Berry game in 2013, which was played in a virtual monsoon. When any business has more demand than capacity, the last thing they probably need to do is to seek alternate sales distribution points in order to increase demand for a limited/non-existent capacity. Conversely, when a business has more capacity than demand, an alternate sales distribution point is an excellent way to increase demand. If that sales distribution point can be created at no additional cost to the business, all the better. Every current SoCon school, other than Mercer, generally has much more seating capacity than they have demand for tickets. So those schools welcome the 'free' sales distribution point they can access by selling tickets through the Visiting Team's Ticket Offices. So, they make the correct decision, for THEM, by doing just that. There is no SoCon rule stating that they have to.

Mercer, on the other hand, receives little, if any, value by adding an alternate sales distribution point. In fact, Mercer 'violates' a key component of their mission as a University and would be acting detrimentally to their Football Program by doing so. Macon is a city that has been quite economically depressed in the past 20-30+years. During the early years of this depression, I have been told that the University pretty much 'pretended' that they were not part of Macon and viewed their campus as an 'island apart' from the troubles of the City of Macon. This has drastically changed in recent years and Mercer is now, actually, a key leader and driving force in the revival of the City. If it's not part of their stated mission, it's obviously part of their unstated one. I'll save all of the examples of that, but I will relate that the re-starting of the Football Program is one of many pillars of that strategy. One look at the mixed use complex now under construction across Mercer University Drive from the Football Stadium will confirm that. Mercer Football needs to be all about Macon, Bibb County, and Middle Georgia FIRST in order to support a major reason for its existence. That relationship is symbiotic though. Mercer Football absolutely needs to CONNECT with the people of Macon to ensure its success in its nascent years and its growth for the future. Macon is noted for being highly fickle with it's 'early love' and quick 'break-up' with athletics franchises - minor league baseball, hockey, etc. Maconites LOVE Mercer Football now and Mercer Football cannot do anything to jeopardize that 'love affair.' When it comes to tickets, Mercer Football needs to 'take care' of Maconites just after Football Families and Mercer Alumni, but well ahead of the good people of Greenville, Chattanooga, Birmingham, Charleston, Spartanburg, etc.

So, most likely, the Wofford Ticket Office will not have tickets to the Mercer game for sale. If the Wofford Athletics/Football Department chooses to use 1 or more of their allotted tickets to provide to you, then you are in great shape. If not, then you can probably purchase tickets from the Mercer Ticket Office. If you are unable to purchase tickets from the Mercer Ticket Office, then, if you show up for the game, you will most likely be able to purchase a ticket at the gate. The stadium has large areas for General Admission seating and no view is bad. I rarely spend more than 5 minutes in my reserved seat because I love the different views I can get in the GenAdmin areas. I know of no one who has ever been turned away from a Mercer Football game, despite the games being 'sellouts.' As long as the Fire Marshall lets people come in, Mercer will sell you a ticket. And, I believe the Fire Marshall must be a HUGE Mercer Bears Football Fan.

Please don't get your BVD's all in a tangle, as many of your neighbors down I-85 and some of the ones down I-26 did last year BEFORE the game. It's just a different approach and there are really good reasons for it. If you can fight your way through the Atlanta traffic, you'll have a great time at the tailgate/game. I, of course, hope you leave sad/mad :) , but it won't be because you couldn't get a ticket or you didn't enjoy the game itself.

Now - if you can explain to me the draconian parking policies and the more-than-surly attitudes of the ParkingNazi's at Wofford, I think we will have greatly advanced the prospect of World Peace today.

Mercer, the new Georgia Southern! No need to play by the rules in the conference they participate in.
Art Vandalay
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:30 pm

FUbear, thank you for your response. I realize you do not speak for that institution, but you do have more insight that the average bear.

It is my understanding that the visitor's allotment is returned to the home team if they re not used. Thus, the Bears could get tickets back if Wofford (or any other SoCon member) does not sell the allotment. Worse, come to worse, sell the tickets to the member institutions.

As far as parking policy, you got to have parking before you can have policy. We don't have either at this point.

The adhering to the letter of the law works fine but remember it is by the Spirit are you saved...
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Re: Mercer ticket allocation

Postby Ruckus on Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Nice passive-aggressive comment on our parking policy.
Funny though, no one seems to mind too much as it has never been much of an issue to my knowledge.
Probably the best thing for you to do to avoid our draconian ways is to stay in Ga.where you don't ever have to worry about visiting fans because they can't get tickets.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:20 am

dungeonjoe, why do Art Vandalay and Ruckus hate LeVar Burton so much?

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby woffordgrad94 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:07 am

I think I understand what FuBeAR is saying. We and the other SoCon schools might not like it, but Mercer has to do what's best for them and their community. And from what it looks like, they are not violating any rules. Frankly, I wish the city of Soartanburg loved Wofford football as much as the city of Macon appears to love Mercer football.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier13 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:51 am

Agree with 94 on this- I totally get why MU doesn't want to sell visitor's tickets. If they are able to sell the tickets either way, they'd much rather have Mercer fans from Macon in the stands than Wofford fans from Spartanburg. Helps build the home field advantage and facilitates bonding between MU & the Macon community. As long as they comply by the SoCon rules (allotting us 300-400 tickets), I think they're strategy might actually be a smart one. And I must commend the spirit of their fans if they truly are selling out their football games. I remember their basketball gym was raucous place for visiting teams last year. I appreciate the passion they're bringing to the conference. At the end of the day, the Mercer AD's goal is to look out for Mercer, not Wofford or any other SoCon team and I have to admit he seems to be doing well at his job. Thanks for contributing to the board Bear.
Terrier13
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Being a member of a conference confers certain benefits and responsibilities. Looking out for one's program is one thing; disregarding common courtesies to fellow conference members is another.
Personally, I have no problem with it as long as the SoCon is ok with it. My issue is the attempts to defendi an unusual admittedly self-preserving policy by creating a false pretextual allegation regarding our parking policies and enforcement.
But then, that's just me.......
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:13 pm

Interesting topic. I went to the Wofford-Mercer Bball game last year at Mercer and it just so happened to be "free ticket night" of some sort. Good news was that we got in free, bad news was there were so many people there you couldn't find a seat. If the fire marshall was around, I didn't see them but I'm pretty sure there were more people there than needed to be. It is obvious that they are playing to the community in an effort to build their brand and get people excited about Mercer athletics in a much better conference. It certainly doesn't hurt recruiting to play in front of packed houses. As long as they are playing by the rules, there really is not much to be done....except to keep beating them :D
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:57 pm

I understand the SoCon's policy and I understand Mercer's motivation and have no problem with this. When the hype/newness wears off a trip to Macon will be like a trip to any other SoCon destination. In the meantime, Terrier fans can make noise scattered all around the venue instead of just in one specific section. As far as Wofford parking goes, maybe the new arena will impact that, but up until this point I'd say Wofford has the best parking situation of any SoCon school I've visited.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12
I-AA Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16
I-AA Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 am

It took me a while to decipher the meaning of this, "My issue is the attempts to defendi (sic) an unusual admittedly self-preserving policy by creating a false pretextual allegation regarding our parking policies and enforcement."....but if I have translated it correctly, I'm pretty sure Ruckus is calling me a liar.

First of all, that's not very nice. Secondly, I'm not sure how Ruckus would know that what I experienced first-hand DIDN'T happen, without possessing omniscient power, but I guess all's fair in message board land. Or, maybe, omniscience is part of the package one receives upon being conferred a degree from Wofford College. I only know 2 Wofford Alums well and both of them are Great Guys, but other non-Wofford grads have told me that from their interactions with Wofford grads, that gift of omniscience certainly does seem to be the perception.

Regardless, I do regret this setback to the hopes that dungeonjoe and I had for World Peace and I continue to hold out hope for a better tomorrow, for the sake of our children and their children.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Florida Terrier on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Now - if you can explain to me the draconian parking policies and the more-than-surly attitudes of the ParkingNazi's at Wofford

Just wondering how many games you have attended at Wofford to make such a statement FUBeAR. We have parked in the general public lot for every game in the past 4 years and they are the nicest, and easy going parking attendants in the conference.
Florida Terrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Just wondering how many games you have attended at Wofford to make such a statement FUBeAR. We have parked in the general public lot for every game in the past 4 years and they are the nicest, and easy going parking attendants in the conference.

Well, I played there (old stadium) in 1979 and was treated very rudely by every Terrier that I encountered that night...and I attended my 1st ever game there as a fan in 2014 and my group, particularly 1 family, was treated no less rudely by 2 different Parking Officials. Also, the Bears n 2014, as was my Team in '79, were also subjected to complete hostility on the field. So, pretty much 100% negative experiences in SparkleCity.

Seriously, I'm baffled by the denial here. My guys set up their rig (satellite dish, grills, etc.) early (before any parking attendants arrived) in public parking...in a GREAT location. Then about 10 other cars from our Group arrived early and joined the 1st car. Then, an hour or so later, 2 rude-dudes came over and said the whole thing had to be taken down and we had to move our whole group to a location farther away from the stadium, but still in the same public lot. My guy said he wasn't moving and they said he was...and it devolved from there. Threats to bring the 'real' police ensued and the rude-dudes left. About an hour later, the dudes came back and said, we could stay (now about 20 cars) IF...and I never heard what came after "IF"....because my guy had had enough of them and told them very clearly what he thought about their treatment. They just left and a good time was had by all (until the game started). It was all just so unnecessary. There was plenty of room for everyone. There was also more of that kind of petty stuff after the game as the Player's families tried to get to/from their seats to the Player's locker room/bus area and then back to their cars. "Oh, you can't walk here. You have to go all the way around there. No, we've put up this rope now, so you have to go to the other side."....resulting in bunch of fat, old, crippled folks (like me) having to become mountain goats and climb steep hills, go through trees/woods, etc....when we could have easily walked through the stadium...it's not like there was another game until September of THIS year! I think the grass (which we didn't even need to go on) would have recovered by then if we did. Y'all can think I'm making this stuff up if you want, which is fine, I guess...but it was just annoying as heck and so unnecessary. And please don't tell me that happens everywhere...I've been to more than a few SoCon and other football games in my life....hundreds actually, but only 1 (as a fan) at Wofford. Maybe it was a 1-time thing and maybe they were just having a bad day, but it was not good; not at all.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby Ruckus on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:57 pm

Well, at least you had a ticket......
There also one sure way not to have to endure this horrible treatment again by rude Wofford officials and us horrible arrogant Wofford people.
Wonder if your perception would be different if Mercer had the highest score on the scoreboard?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football