Playoffs

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Playoffs

Postby terrierfan52 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:01 am

Is their anyway that this could happen? I mean, has a 7-4 team ever made the playoffs?
terrierfan52

Re: Playoffs

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:21 am

terrierfan52 wrote:Is their anyway that this could happen? I mean, has a 7-4 team ever made the playoffs?

not sure about the history, but doubt it.

And this year there are too many good teams out there that will have better records. But 7-4 would get us into the top 25 to end the season and would be a good building block for recruiting. We have a relatively young team and we've been hobbled by injuries-the way things have gone this year, I would be estatic if we finished 7-4, but winning 5 straight is unlikely against the schedule we have remaining given our team's situation this year.
BossTerrier

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:30 am

I agree with BT... not likely.

Also, even if we finish 7-4 we wouldn't have a "big win" against a playoff team (see 2004 reason for not making the playoffs).
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:26 am

I'll toss in with BT and TF52 on this one- even if there is any history for making the playoffs with a 7-4, we're dealing with a higher profile for I-AA than has been the case in the past, given our playoff system and the BCS controversy, and the quality of some of the other conferences is improving.

I personally think the days of being able to limp into the I-AA playoffs is over, unlike the BCS bowl system that accomodates 6 wins, and that even an 8-3 record could be marginal this year. To have a playoff season, we'd have to be clicking on all cylinders and beat at least one heavily favored team, which is out of the picture for this year, since GSU is more middle of the pack this time around.

That being said, we've still got a good chance to have a very respectable season to build on for next year, and given the size of our student body and the number of scholarships we have available, that ain't bad.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:38 pm

If

1) We run the table

2) App State loses to GSU, FU and WCU

3) Furman loses to Elon, GSU, and Chattanooga

We might have a shot at the automatic bid. :D

I suspected before this season started that 2007 would be our year.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:36 am

walliver wrote:If

1) We run the table

Is this based on players returning, Widmeyer, or...?
terrierbob

Postby ElonPride on Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:32 pm

Yes it is possible to make it in at 7-4.

In fact, Montana State did it a few years ago with a 7-5 record.
ElonPride

Postby Terriertime on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Trust me, true Wofford fans know all about that. Montana State beat Montana which gave them the conference title, and essentially knocked Wofford out of the play-offs w/ a 9-3 record b/c Montana took up a crucial at-large bid.
Terriertime

Postby walliver on Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:38 am

terrierbob wrote:
walliver wrote:If

1) We run the table

Is this based on players returning, Widmeyer, or...?

Basically, we will have a lot of seniors next year. After 2005's lackluster year I felt it would take a while to regroup. Next year, all the players recruited during 2003 big year will either by Seniors or Sophomores. Widmyer and Romero will be Juniors. Hopefully we can get back to the "old" Wofford offense where there was a lot more misdirection and more imaginative play calling.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby tom189 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:10 am

Don't forget for a minute that the 9-3 team was cheated by a group of ADs acting with no honor. It is no coincidence that 2 lesser teams that year, one of whom lost to Wofford at home, got into the field with home games with their ADs on the selection committee. Quite frankly, the 2002 team was capable of winning the whole deal. I have always suspected that the ADs on the committee didn't want a 45- 48 scholarship underfunded program to succeed and tarnish the image of their BCS wannabe programs. Who doesn't believe think that in 2003 the Terriers deserved a #2 seed rather than Colgate. Had the Terriers been seeded #2 in all likelihood they would have made it to the championship game. I would have liked their chances vs. Delaware at a non-Newark, DE site. I am afraid that the committee will always look for excuses to exclude the Terriers; the only option (no pun intended) is to win the SOCON again.
tom189

Postby Ruckus on Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:31 am

And although Delaware handily beat us, we played them much much closer than Colgate did in Chatanooga. Plus, it was exam week for us which means a heck of a lot more at WC than most other schools. I cannot imagine preparing for a play-off game while studying for the exams I took at WC. It truly is beyond my comprehension and I reject the notion that it is excuse-making or sour grapes. I also agree that the 2002 team got royally shafted and was capable of making a run in the playoffs. The VMI loss was used as a pretext and excuse byt he committee. BTW- did anyone see where VMI almost cut Coastal this weekend up there?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football