Elon

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Elon

Postby TDOG21 on Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:54 am

I hate to say it, but I am really worried about the Elon game. They have played GSU really close and beat Coastal and Western. After getting up for App. State, I hope the Terriers can make a good statement against Elon. I still think we can finish in the top 25 if we win out.
TDOG21

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:57 pm

Elon should worry you - not a smack on Woff....That coach (Lembo) has them changed - a credit to him - shows why he was so successful at Lehigh - we go to their place and they scare me for my guys...but that is for later....tear em up Terriers and I was glad to hear you had no injuries yesterday - you have been very unfortunate with that this year
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby ElonPride on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:45 pm

Hey Wofford fans.....don't worry, I'm not here to talk smack or anything! I just want conversation about the game!

After looking at the stats versus Coastal, I seriously had this game penciled in as a win for Elon.......but after what you did at USC and against App, my mind has sure been changed. Both of our teams have seemed bipolar (sp?) so far.

Elon beat a top 25 (CCU) team and pummelled WCU....and played extremely close AT GSU (which isn't an easy task), but we lose to Towson and let App score 3 Tds in 5 minutes. You guys lose to CCU, but let App score 31 points LESS than we did.

This should be a CLOSE game and I realy wish I could make it down to see this one. Lembo really has our boys believing they can win every week....even though most times we're over-matched.

Your team primarily runs, which is to our advantage. GSU rushed 29 for only 59 yards......they were averaging over 181 yards on the ground per game. BUT, they really exxploited our weakness on pass D coverage.

If you have a QB that has anything of an arm, you may be able to pass on us all day. But look out for Karlos Sullivan and Chris Bland. They combined have 9 INT's on the year and have each run 1 back for TDs.

I really can't pick a winner in this game. It should be a tough, ahrd fought battle.....what are you guys' thoughts?
ElonPride

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:31 pm

We've played 3 of the 4 best rushing defenses in the conference so far and it shows. Now we get to play statistically the best.

Should be a great game.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:50 pm

I think this should be a good game for both teams. While I haven't had as much time to keep up with football this year as I generally do, I think that it will be interesting to see how Elon's improved squad deals with the Terriers and how they respond. Elon is obviously on the right track considering their wins and close losses. I still believe that Wofford is better than they have shown due to injuries and a few bad breaks.

The bipolar reference seems very accurate. Wofford always plays better when it is underestimated and that may have contributed to the resutls at South Carolina and Appalachian. Elon probably is the same way. Since I admittedly don't know much about Elon other than the impressive performances they have had so far, I'll reserve commentary on them until later, but I think the keys to the game for Wofford will be three things:

1) Come out of the gate strong and don't dig a big hole by getting down early.

2) Avoid a let down after the emotional game at The Rock.

3) Integrate some short and intermediate passes into the game play to spread out the defense and keep Elon from stacking the box.

All that being said, I think Wofford will come out motivated based off where they stand and the fact that the coaching staff isn't going to let them pack it in yet. But, Elon has measured up with some of the teams at the top of the SoCon, and I suspect they would like to duplicate some of the same magic Wofford had going it's way in 2002 and 2003 so a win would be statistically and psychologically important.

I'll give the edge to Elon since it's at their place, but I think it will be close with mistakes, miscues, proper timing for adjustments and luck making the difference.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:39 pm

Just saw this in the "Around the Water Bowl":

Terrier Gameday:
http://wofford.edu/athletics/sportsMark ... x?id=20178
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Football