ASU

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Wingbone on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:19 pm

Our offense certainly did struggle -- but give credit to App State, they were well prepared, Almost every play their D-line would jump the gap to the correct side (right before the snap) It is hard to get a lid on a guy when he has that step...

And when we went wide there was a total "sell out" from the ASU Defense, there were not any seams for KJ.

The Terriers left it all on the field. Gotta run the table now...
GO Terriers!!
Wingbone

Postby woffwoff on Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:12 pm

App state was prepared. Our defense was awesome. The offense is in need of serious evaluation.
woffwoff

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:53 pm

woffwoff wrote:I am not one for moral victories either. This was not a moral victory. As long as we are content to say "we fought hard" we will not win a championship.
The defense seemed to suffer from a bit of nerves at the get go but what a game they played. The offense is dismal. I am not impressed, and yes, I know terriertime "I don't go to the practice" but I do go to the games and the O-line is not working as it is now. We need some fire in our bellies and I ain't seein it . As long as we say that moral victories are good enough, as long as hanging close to tough teams is enough to make us pat ourselves on the back and say Job well done, we will never reach the playoffs again.

that is a good word for Wofford. I love the underdog stuff, but it is time to take the next step.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terriertime on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:50 pm

Once again, I do not know why woffwoff elected me the spokesman for Wofford's O-line; however, as a former Terrier O-lineman, I know what these guys are going through. With that said, now I want to hear woffwoff suggestions for who he would put in on the O-line, who he would take out, and who would rotate where, since he knows who should play better than the coaching staff who works with the kids every day. Anyone that has played for coach Ayers knows you don't see the field unless you earn it, PERIOD. This is my last post on the subject, and probably my last on this board. I do not see why I get personally attacked for something which I care very much about, but have no control over.
Terriertime

Postby woffwoff on Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:59 pm

Whoa. T-time. Just playing with ya cause you know about the line. I don't know any of the dudes there, just that seems like it aint' working, seems like we have the guys who should be helping us, quiting and seems like we don't have any depth there at all. Sorry to have ruffled, tell ya what. I'll go. You stay. My comments were in no way intended as an attack, but as a way to engage, like person to person. I haven't said anything on this board I would be ashamed to say to a coach or a player. It isn't a slam, it is a concern. But forget about it, everything about terrier football is perfect and we shouldn't change a thing. I'll come back next season and see if there are discussions about football, the team and the play or if this is still a board where we only say "couldn't a been any better."
woffwoff

Postby T-fan on Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:26 pm

TerrierTime and WoffWoff, both of you are good contributors here and I hope you continue to post. Dont let a small difference of opinion cause you both not to post . We need more people who care about Wofford football as you both do. I will be disappointed if either one of you quit posting. We need more folks posting,not less.
T-fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:32 pm

Agreed, T-Fan.

Draw a line in the sand and move on. If anyone is a poster child for that it's me. I don't think I've started a big fight here yet, but Lord knows I have over at AGS.

Bottom line is that everybody has a passion for Wofford football and wants to see it be successful. That's a good thing no matter what side of the argument you're on.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:18 am

We are all rowing in the same direction; it's just a question of how we get there. I agree with both points of view but you can't deny offensively we aren't as effective as we should be CONSISTENTLY for whatever reason. 8 and 9 men in the box is tough to block no matter how good our O-line is. Maybe after 9 years of seeing us teams have learned how to defend us. I thought our D played great on Saturday esp. with the missing pieces. Great to come away with no injuries on the turf. But I say to hell with moral victories. First time all year our offense didn't show up at all (other than the second half v. FU). We need to get better.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:36 am

Gotta put in my two cents' worth, and it may be a sacred cow, but did anyone who saw the game question some of the offensive play-calling, especially early in the second half? We score first series using passes on first and second down, and then the next two series we're run-run-pass, three and out?

My biggest frustration in the game was that we didn't break tendencies more, especially since it worked so well on our only touchdown drive.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:50 am

The offense has played exceptionally well against out of conference teams (See SCSU, CCU, USC). Both The Citadel and ASU coaches stated that they prepare for Wofford offense more than any other team throughout the year. The Citadel coach said they were preparing for Wofford since Spring ball. It's obvious that the teams that prepared for us the most are the teams our Offense had difficulty with. I think that the Citadel and ASU saw something in the Furman game that gave them a leg up on our offense. Plus, the O Line is not executing like they should for those Hobbs runs between the tackles either. It will be interesting the rest of the year against other conference teams. But, There are many teams in the nation that would be 1-2 in our conference if their first 3 games were against Furman, App State, and The Citadel. The Coastal loss really hurt our season, that's all I can say.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby trojans2176 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:46 pm

BossTerrier wrote:The offense has played exceptionally well against out of conference teams (See SCSU, CCU, USC). Both The Citadel and ASU coaches stated that they prepare for Wofford offense more than any other team throughout the year. The Citadel coach said they were preparing for Wofford since Spring ball. It's obvious that the teams that prepared for us the most are the teams our Offense had difficulty with. I think that the Citadel and ASU saw something in the Furman game that gave them a leg up on our offense. Plus, the O Line is not executing like they should for those Hobbs runs between the tackles either. It will be interesting the rest of the year against other conference teams. But, There are many teams in the nation that would be 1-2 in our conference if their first 3 games were against Furman, App State, and The Citadel. The Coastal loss really hurt our season, that's all I can say.

Your boys played their hearts out. Take a look at your punter's comments in the paper.
Your team was, AS ALWAYS, well prepared. Coach Ayers is great. He also takes all the arrows from the press. See the same article as above.

Your team was under-manned and came into a hostile conference environment and played extremely well. They took App's best punches and continued to play their game plan.

IMHO the reason Socon teams struggle in conference play is because of the extra preparation and adjustments that go into the most important games of the season. The out of conference games are important but they are played differently than conference games. OOC games are more straight forward and used to develop the players and the schemes for the conference season.

Your team once again proved why they earned my respect long ago.
trojans2176

Postby walliver on Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:33 pm

Unfortunately, I recently moved and haven't been able to make any games. I noticed listening to the radio, that Widmyer led the team to a touchdown, apparently stepped out of bounds short of the first down marker on the next series, and never was mentioned again. Does he have some kind of nagging injury, or is Collier clearly a better quarterback?
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:19 pm

I've been a little disappointed in Widmyer's playing time. In my opinion, he's the better passer and can also make the run work. The team seems more fired up when he comes in and we generally make some first downs that we didn't under Collier. Widmyer seems excited when he comes into the game, and I believe that rubs off on the offense. Just my observation. As for injuries, he did have a knee problem and had the surgery for that a few weeks ago. Maybe that's the reason he's not playing more.
Rowdy

Postby T-fan on Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:03 pm

I do give the coaches credit in that Josh has been the number 1 guy and they have shown loyalty to him. Widmeyer has come in and done some good things but being the number 2 guy he is on a short leash. He moves the ball he stays in. He makes a mistake its back to Josh and that's probably the way it should be. Widmeyer came back 2 weeks after surgery and is probably just now getting to be 100%. Really what I would like to see? Let's see Widmeyer at QB and move Josh to a receiver. Josh was a wr in high school, is a good athlete, and it would give us a threat at receiver. We could see if that is something that works and it could be something we could take into next year.
T-fan

Postby TDOG21 on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:02 pm

I am not ready to give up on Josh yet. I have only seen three games in person and listened to the App. game, so I have a limited perspective. However, Josh clearly seems to be the superior athlete and looks much more dangerous/explosive running the option. Josh's arm definitely is not as consistent, but he does not float passes as Ben tends to do. I do not get to pick apart game film, but I have also seen more interceptions from Ben, but that may simply be a result of more attempts. Generally, I am not a fan of the two quarterback system, but Wofford QBs take a beating compared to the typical drop-back passer. If Ayers can get it to work, as he has done before, I see no problem with a No. 1 and 1A QB.
TDOG21

PreviousNext

Return to Football