ASU

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

ASU

Postby terrierbob on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:10 am

Have they had problems with a wingbone type option in the past? I seem to recall their outside pursuit keeps you pretty much hemmed in. Maybe Kevious is fast enough to gain a few yards on toss sweeps.
As far as our defence, how do we measure up?

Are we expecting a close game or blow ot?
terrierbob

Postby woffwoff on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:23 am

Let's hope our special teams can keep us in this! Good field position from Defense and ST is what put points up there.
woffwoff

Postby GoldandBlack on Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:49 am

My guess is that ASU will put 8 in the box, counting on their speed at linebacker and corner to contain the sweeps, and daring us to beat them by the pass. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I just hate that we have so many D-line injuries going into this one.

After watching CCU against us and Furman, it'll also be interesting to see how much their offense decides to test our secondary.

Let's hope for good ball control, and as you mentioned, good field position from special teams.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:36 pm

BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby walliver on Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:17 pm

Hopefully the defense plays better than last year. By the fourth quarter of last year's game, it looked as if the defense had given up
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:11 am

ASU is Very fast and thus can stack the box and still get to the corners......I think your best shot is misdirection
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:18 pm

I wonder if the ACC would interest them.
terrierbob

Postby Ruckus on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:40 pm

I think the greater question is whether the ACC would be interested in them. They are certainly bigger than Wake and Duke; and as big as Clemson, GA. Tech, and UVa.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo32 on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:43 pm

Yeah, geographically the ACC would make sense, but you can't compare Wake and Duke or even UNC to ASU because those schools make not do the job on the football field but they definitely make up for it on the hardwood.
WoCo32

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:16 pm

ASU couldn't compete in the ACC in any sport but Cross Country and Track. They would be more suited for the MAC or some Mid Major I-A conference if they did make the jump.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby YipYip on Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:00 pm

Close game. Defense played tough. Good job Terriers. Would have loved to win that one.

Playoffs are now out of reach :(
YipYip

Postby gofurman on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:09 pm

Wanted to come and give you guys credit for a game that was closer than I expected. Seroiusly, I am not much on moral victories but I really thought ASU would win by much more. Thanks for giving me some hope. What worked for you all so well that kept you in it - bc, as you probably know, that is now the number one team in the nation as New Hampshire got whooped. So you were within seven of number one at their place. Good effort and I hope you get some more guys back - I know you all are banged up.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:54 pm

Thanks for the comments gofurman. The Terriers fought hard today and turned what most expected to me a laugher into a serious game for Appalachian. I wasn't there, but I feel certain that the Mountaineer faithful were uneasy about their situation in the 4th quarter. Wofford can be proud of this, even though they lost. Hopefully this experience will serve them well in the future and the best part is that NO ONE GOT HURT THIS WEEK.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Dins88 on Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:35 pm

Yo Wofford --

My first post. Congrats on the site -- cordial folks, knowledgeable fans. And it beats the ever living hell out of anything the Citadel has.

Anyway, good game today. I was so hoping you would do those hillbillies in their own joint. Sometimes it's fun to take shots at kung-fu Mike. But, anyone who is honest knows he is an excellent coach and an excellent person -- a guy you would want your son to play for.

I hope you guys win out.
Dins88

Postby woffwoff on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:29 pm

I am not one for moral victories either. This was not a moral victory. As long as we are content to say "we fought hard" we will not win a championship.
The defense seemed to suffer from a bit of nerves at the get go but what a game they played. The offense is dismal. I am not impressed, and yes, I know terriertime "I don't go to the practice" but I do go to the games and the O-line is not working as it is now. We need some fire in our bellies and I ain't seein it . As long as we say that moral victories are good enough, as long as hanging close to tough teams is enough to make us pat ourselves on the back and say Job well done, we will never reach the playoffs again.
woffwoff

Next

Return to Football