Final

Furman 27
Coastal Carolina 29
Final

Furman can't stop the pass.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:32 pm

Looks like App State holds all the cards in the SoCon- their passing game still looks strong.

The conference seems as balanced overall as it has been in years. App State and Furman still look to be the top dogs, but the gap from bottom to top has narrowed significantly this year, at least so far.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:37 pm

ChickGos wrote:Looks like App State holds all the cards in the SoCon- their passing game still looks strong.

The conference seems as balanced overall as it has been in years. App State and Furman still look to be the top dogs, but the gap from bottom to top has narrowed significantly this year, at least so far.
\

Our pass D does suck but at least allow that we lost Gray (2nd Q?) and had to go to backup QB - Sorrells - who, while talented - cant run option and that is Coastals' D weakness so I think we would have won with Gray...Not a knock on Sorrells but he wasn't the man to have against Coastal bc he doesn't run wingbone as well...that makes it a much tougher loss to stomach - I really think we win with Gray in there running the option you guys saw
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:23 pm

App State definitely looks like the class of the league so far. Also, the SoCon looks like a 2 bid conference at best this year.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:38 am

Can't argue with gofurman that FU was hampered without Gray in the lineup, and very easily could have changed outcome- close, hard-fought game.

However, I'm still of the opinion that unless FU secondary improves play for App State game, they're in trouble. Not a slam, just an observation based on the CCU game. FU's game is more suited to ball control this year, and they can't afford to get down by more than 10 to a quick-strike offense like ASU. Wofford faces the same problem with ASU, only to a greater degree, since we don't have the same passing capability as FU.

Can Furman beat ASU? Yes

Will they beat them? I think it lies more with the defense than the offense this year, assuming Gray is back in the lineup when they meet.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:51 pm

ChickGos wrote:Can't argue with gofurman that FU was hampered without Gray in the lineup, and very easily could have changed outcome- close, hard-fought game.

However, I'm still of the opinion that unless FU secondary improves play for App State game, they're in trouble. Not a slam, just an observation based on the CCU game. FU's game is more suited to ball control this year, and they can't afford to get down by more than 10 to a quick-strike offense like ASU. Wofford faces the same problem with ASU, only to a greater degree, since we don't have the same passing capability as FU.

Can Furman beat ASU? Yes

Will they beat them? I think it lies more with the defense than the offense this year, assuming Gray is back in the lineup when they meet.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly - secondary is our weakness. Generally teams that can run the ball well and stop the run win more than they lose (passing is more suspect than running as a rule and I feel we do run very well and stop the run well) but we are certainly 2nd in the conf to App at this point and need to focus hard on Citadel. I saw the stats from you all's game - 85 plays for them to 39 for you??? And they threw 40+ times - that scares me.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:23 pm

lawson is a good quaterback and could be great as the years go. If he can throw the ball more crisply, he will be a definite threat.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:07 am

Yea, they threw 40+ times, but they couldn't run on us and we played 4 deep coverage so we wouldn't give up the big play like we did against FU. They averaged 8 yds per pass completion and their longest was only 22 yds.
How about the fact that they were on our 1 yd line three times and only scored 1 TD.
They give all out effort though, I will say that. The game was more interesting than it should have been.
Also, looks like the win FU had against WCU wasn't all that impressive after the schelacking they took from Elon-
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Return to Football