It wasn't pretty

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

It wasn't pretty

Postby BestOfBreed on Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:53 pm

but it was a win!!! Way to go Terriers!!!
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby woffwoff on Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:24 pm

It was a W but that is the only thing good about the play today. The o-line was not doing to well. B at center did a great job considering he probably doesn't take reps there to much, is he the second string center? I am not impressed with the line in general. Time to shake things up-do we only have six o-linemen? They looked tired and beat by the 4th Q. All in all not a great show for our terrirer o-line.

I know our defense is beat up but they gave up some huge plays. Very erratic. How is the nose? What was hurt? I didn't hear. Looked like an
ankle. We have to get healthy on the D. This is a talented bunch of guys, I have lot of hope, and I am happy with the win but the future is really uncertain.

GO Terriers.
woffwoff

Postby Terriertime on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:05 pm

woffwoff wrote:It was a W but that is the only thing good about the play today. The o-line was not doing to well. B at center did a great job considering he probably doesn't take reps there to much, is he the second string center? I am not impressed with the line in general. Time to shake things up-do we only have six o-linemen? They looked tired and beat by the 4th Q. All in all not a great show for our terrirer o-line.

I know our defense is beat up but they gave up some huge plays. Very erratic. How is the nose? What was hurt? I didn't hear. Looked like an
ankle. We have to get healthy on the D. This is a talented bunch of guys, I have lot of hope, and I am happy with the win but the future is really uncertain.

GO Terriers.

As far as the coaches only playing 6 players on the O-line (7 if you count McKenna), you have to remeber they are playing without two players they thought would be fifth-year senior starters Olmstead (OT) and Anderson (OC). The Terriers system is very complicated for the younger players, and I assume Coach Nash feels the most comfortable with the players he plays. Remember, none of us are at practice so we don't really know what happens. As far as being tired, I disagree. The Terriers only ran 39 plays (I think part of the reason for that is they had those two big plays, and the other two scores were on a short field)

As for McCullough, the paper said he broke his ankle, so I'm assuming he's out for the season. Losing two key DL's in two week's really hurts. But, Wofford has always been about players steeping up and playing hard, and I see no reason why this would be any different.

I personally was very happy with the win. This is a different Citadel folks, I think they're much better under Coach Higgins than they have been in some time. Mark my words, the Bulldogs will have some surprising wins before the season is over, and probably be pretty good next year I assume.
Terriertime

Postby woffwoff on Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:21 pm

Excellent point about not being at practice, and I am not intentionaly dissing the coaches or the guys. Nature of the written word without intonation!
Looking at the big ol' guys standing on the sidelines and watching our line not bust open holes like it seems they can I am just wondering out loud. Or out write. McKenna is a great center, and he has done a terrific job. Quick is doing great playing every position on the line and Rutherford seems solid, does he have another year? The O-line is the thing for a terrier offense and I am looking forward to seeing them reach level of total domination we have all come to expect. I haven't seen it yet. They are hard working young men that will get there. Thank you T-time for your input, you always have the spot on insight for the game, the players and the coaches.

Go Terriers
woffwoff

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:35 pm

I agree with TerrierTime's assessment of them getting some surprising wins this year (maybe starting next Saturday). Lawson looked really good yesterday and I think Andre Roberts is going to be a very special player down there. What a difference a good coach makes.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:57 pm

I agree. The conference has much more parity and much less of a swing in talent from top to bottom as in the last couple seasons. Elon, Chattanooga and The Citadel are all getting better which should make things interesting in years to come.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:22 pm

BestOfBreed wrote:I agree with TerrierTime's assessment of them getting some surprising wins this year (maybe starting next Saturday). Lawson looked really good yesterday and I think Andre Roberts is going to be a very special player down there. What a difference a good coach makes.

please no...
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffwoff on Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:09 am

I guess it wasn't only me that thought this. From the paper today. We gotta find a way to bring back our dominating O-Line. No distrespect T-time, just observation.

OFFENSE: C-
The Terriers' offense picked up only seven first downs and had less than 100 rushing yards if fullback Michael Hobbs' 66-yard touchdown run in the opening two minutes of the game is taken away. Of particular concern is the fact that Wofford

was just 2-of-9 on third-down
woffwoff

Postby T-fan on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:47 pm

Gonsoulin had an awesome game. He must have had 3+ sacks. His play was a huge part in the win.
T-fan

Postby Terriertime on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:22 pm

woffwoff wrote:I guess it wasn't only me that thought this. From the paper today. We gotta find a way to bring back our dominating O-Line. No distrespect T-time, just observation.

OFFENSE: C-
The Terriers' offense picked up only seven first downs and had less than 100 rushing yards if fullback Michael Hobbs' 66-yard touchdown run in the opening two minutes of the game is taken away. Of particular concern is the fact that Wofford

was just 2-of-9 on third-down

I am obviously not the official O-line spokesperson from Wofford, but I guarantee you I watch them closer than most fans do at the game, just my football personality. However, as far as Dan Armontis grading the offense? Give me a break! Have you seen the guy? Do you really think he has a clue about O-line? Like I have maintaitned since Sunday, let's analyze the four scores: 1. Hobbs runs up the middle and scores on about a 60 yard run on the game's fifth play. 2. Brian Kemp made an awesome interception, Terriers get the ball on about the 20, and drive it down and score. 3. Kevious runs a kick-off back to about the 15 yard line, and they punch it in immediately. 4. Drive stalls, and we fake punt, recover, and immediately hit a long play-action pass to Harris for a touchdown.

In my estimation, they capitalized on their opportunites. This offense has big-play potential, something we severely lacked IMHO last season. They scored 28 points, which last time I checked, was pretty good. It's almost like people are upset b/c the O didn't sustain drives, they didn't need to b/c they scored so quickly. I don't know, I just tend to stick up for the O-line, as a former OL, I remember all I ever heard was complaining, you know how it goes, RB's get all the glory. Like I have stated, Wofford has had to start 3 new OL's this year, and took a major hit to their depth when they lost Olmstead and Anderson. I saw in the Wofford game notes that Tiller was named second-team AA and Bauer named Honorable Mention AA by Football Gazette, so I must not be the only one who thinks they have some guys who can play. As for the new OL's (Wooten, Quick, McKenna, Miller, and Rutherford), I think they have filled in very nicely. However, even I am willing to admit Wofford will need more of a ball-control strategy (aka USC gameplan) to keep the high-powered App. O off the field. I plan on traveling to Boone, and I hope we have many Wofford people come up as well.
Terriertime

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:09 pm

T-fan wrote:Gonsoulin had an awesome game. He must have had 3+ sacks. His play was a huge part in the win.

Gonsoulin had a huge game. He at least got mentioned as a top performer for defensive player of the week from the SoCon. I actually thought Goldwire would win defensive player of the week though (16 tackles, 2 tackles for a loss, and an interception). However, he didn't even get mentioned. ASU's Jeremy Wiggins won SoCon defensive player of the week honors for an interception, a fumble recovery, and 2 tackles.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:47 am

I have to go with T-time on this. Offensive line is good, maybe not the best we've ever had but above average. What we don't have is exceptional play from our qb spot although I think Collier is much improved and has acquitted himself admirably (in fact, I wonder if the FU game would have been a little better if he had played more, esp. early in the second half when we got away from our ground game). Our offense is dependent on 3 things: 1) blocking from all positions; 2) timing and execution; 3) strong play from our qb has he really is the centerpiece of multilple options. We have been spoiled lately with not 1 but 2 very very good qbs and a great O-line. But do not underestimate the importance of having a stifling D to not let us get behind and give us good field position. In 2003, we were very very on defense which led to an unbelievable turnover to points ratio.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Good Offensive line Article in Sptbg Herald Journal

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:26 am

Wofford's sixth man 'can do it all'
TODD SHANESY, Staff Writer
Published October 11, 2006

It's an honor normally reserved for basketball, but the sixth-man award on the Wofford football team would go to offensive lineman Ben Quick.

Quick is the top backup at four of the five positions. He's played at both the tackle and guard spots, and could play center if needed. In fact, he moved up to the No. 2 snapper last week, when starter Corey McKenna was out.

"Ben could play wherever," Terriers offensive line coach Eric Nash said. "He can do it all. He's like having three separate guys."

In the 28-20 win Saturday against The Citadel, right guard Marty Bauer moved over to replace McKenna, and Quick made his first start. Later in the game, when right tackle Derek Wooten was bothered by a sore ankle, it was Quick who filled that opening.

He went out to the end and Ben Miller played guard.

Quick, a 6-foot-3, 280-pound sophomore from Athens, W.Va., led Wofford with 14 knockdown blocks and the Terriers only had the ball for 39 snaps.

"Ben is very athletic. He runs very well," Wofford head coach Mike Ayers said. "On our toss play, he's a guy who can get out there and get to the free safety. He's physical enough to play as a guard. He's athletic enough to snap it and step."

Despite the unusually low number of offensive plays, the offensive line recorded its highest total of knockdown blocks. The line is anchored by the senior Bauer and junior left guard Derek Tiller. Bauer was preseason second-team All-Southern Conference as well as honorable mention All-America by the National Football Gazette. Tiller made NFG's second team.

McKenna, a junior, plays in the middle, with senior Will Rutherford at left tackle and the sophomore Wooten on the other side.

"I think they've played hard," Ayers said, "and played pretty well."

"We haven't been our best yet," Nash said. "Hopefully, it will culminate Saturday (against No. 2-ranked Appalachian State)."

Second-year freshman Brent Owen is emerging, along with Quick and the sophomore Miller, as a dependable reserve.

"I've never felt so comfortable with the top seven or eight guys," said Nash, a former three-time All-Southern Conference guard (1998-2001) in his fourth season as the offensive line coach. "Quick has played a ton, Miller a good amount and Owens has been in there some. He will get in more as the year goes on."

Ayers said all the close games the Terriers have played this season have made it difficult to test the depth further.

"I think we've just got to be able to put them in there and let them go," Ayers said. "Sometimes you get very cautious if you feel the other team has gained the momentum back. You want to run the clock and not give them a shot, so you go with your first guys. But the second guys, I think they could come in and do well."

Todd Shanesy can be reached at 562-7273 or todd.shanesy@shj.com.

More Information
SATURDAY'S GAME
Wofford (2-3, 1-1) at No. 2 Appalachian State (5-1, 2-0)
3:30 p.m., 1400 AM
KNOCKDOWN BLOCKS
Marty Bauer 56
Derek Tiller 53
Will Rutherford 50
Corey McKenna 40
Ben Quick 40
Derek Wooten 26
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Wingbone on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:23 am

Ruckus -- Great observation on the turnover ratio from the defense. It would be a good thing if we could create some turnovers early and give the O a short field.

I think we can score on them, although they are one tough defense --

Wofford Defense will be the key -- I am sure they will get their yardage (like the Citadel did) but we absolutely have to tighten up in the red zone. They are excellent at all the skill positions and they are going to break a few big plays -- but we need to keep that "noise" in between the 20's and like you said get some turn overs.

Like when you play any good team -- we can not afford mistakes and beat ourselves.

GO Terriers!
Wingbone

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:49 am

We were step for step with USC, and I can't imagine that ASU is better than them. After all, App did get soundly defeated by NC State. They are no more athletic than Furman, either. The've played some fairly lousy competition outside of NC State and James Madison (Mars Hill, UTC, Gardner Webb, Elon). Every team we've played has been quality, save the Citadel. It will come down to big plays and turnovers as has been said on the board earlier-

On yesterday's teleconference Jerry Moore indicated that ASU prepares more for Wofford throughout the year than for any other team-This is also what Kevin Higgins of the Citadel said as well. I don't think they'll be caught off guard.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Next

Return to Football