The Citadel @ Wofford

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

The Citadel @ Wofford

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:00 pm

The Citadel has probably the worst defense in the conference but they've also played a pretty tough schedule. Hopefully, the Terriers will be able to put up points on them. The big question is can we stop them? Dawson threw for 324 yards against the Mocs last week and our secondary hasn't been great so far. Ta'Mar Jernigan is out indefinitely and he's one of their best receivers. Should be a good game.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:49 pm

I agree with giving the Citadel it's due. They have played two I-A programs, one good and one mediocre. But, they lost to Charleston Southern, who while improved, is no match for SoCon heavyweights. The Citadel did beat UTC on an emotional day with the return of Buonoconti, he gave them a pep talk and all of that stuff, and UTC missed a 38 yd Field goal to send it to OT.
I think we have a great chance to get "W". We played poorly Saturday and Ayers will have them ready to go.

Wofford 38 Citadel 13.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:14 pm

I agree Wofford has a good chance in this game, but both teams have been up an down, so it will boil down to which versions of the two teams show up. Being at Gibbs helps, but far from makes the game a slam dunk for the Terriers. In the final translation, I think both squads are flawed and dealing with injuries. I believe Wofford has more talent on offense, but the struggles in the secondary could keep The Citadel in the game. If I had to make a call, I'd say it's a close affair with the Terriers pulling away in the 4th quarter.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby furman94 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:48 am

Kill ElCid!
furman94

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:41 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I agree Wofford has a good chance in this game, but both teams have been up an down, so it will boil down to which versions of the two teams show up. Being at Gibbs helps, but far from makes the game a slam dunk for the Terriers. In the final translation, I think both squads are flawed and dealing with injuries. I believe Wofford has more talent on offense, but the struggles in the secondary could keep The Citadel in the game. If I had to make a call, I'd say it's a close affair with the Terriers pulling away in the 4th quarter.

I have been fortunate to see the Terriers play three out of four games this year, last week on TV, Twice in person.
I live in Charleston and hear all about the Citadel's program. I watched the Citadel football weekly show to see the highlights from the UTC game.
If we play well, we will win this game handly. They are no where near as good as Coastal or Sc State. Most of Citadel's points last week were off Turnovers and they scored all 24 in the first half. UTC moved the ball at will during the second half after some good adjustments. It was just the Citadel's day. The kick to send it to OT was really an easy one and UTC's kicker just shanked it, I mean, it wasn't even close. After the poor showing against FU, we have too much Pride to not show up to play this week, and this is the Beacon Iced Tea Bowl, baby!
WC all the way in this one!
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby terrierbob on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:19 am

When was the last time we lost to The Citadel?
terrierbob

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:19 am

terrierbob wrote:When was the last time we lost to The Citadel?

1998 in Spartanburg. The Citadel won that year 20-14. Wofford has won 7 straight if my memory is correct.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Wingbone on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:50 am

Boss,

I agree we should handle them this week end. We have to put a big game together and not just sneak bye -- and use this as a game to build from..
Wingbone

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:39 pm

I can remember when beating the bulldogs was a significant step in our program... its been a while
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football