a question for you serious fans - fu v coastal

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

a question for you serious fans - fu v coastal

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:03 pm

It slipped my mind that you have played us and and our next opponent - Cstl Carolina (who is wanting in the Socon).. Having seen us both who do you think will win? I mean this seriously - it is at their place and this is their biggest game remaining I think. A coastal guy said they had been talking about this one since the year started. Also, as you may have noticed, we do not defend the short pass as well as we defend the run - which I fear they will exploit. It looks like you were able score fairly easily on them>? Anyway, what are your thoughts on us v them? Thanks
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:13 pm

They should be pumped up but Furman should win easily.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Rowdy on Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Furman's only weak point is their kicking game. If it's consistent (meaning good), you should win handily.
Rowdy

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:22 pm

Thanks - I am not as confident......Any team that can short pass is a threat to us. However, I am not sure they will be able to keep us from scoring either.
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:59 pm

My impression is that they will probably put up some passing numbers, but I don't see them running on Furman. On the other hand, I see Felton running wild on them. I'd think it will stay close for 2-3 quarters, but I don't think they can hang for the long run.

I still believe the only way they beat the Terriers was due to our overwhelming number of injuries (that's not taking anything away from them and its not sour grapes, just a valid observation considering the way the game played out).

I'd say Furman wins by a score of something like 40-17.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:50 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:My impression is that they will probably put up some passing numbers, but I don't see them running on Furman. On the other hand, I see Felton running wild on them. I'd think it will stay close for 2-3 quarters, but I don't think they can hang for the long run.

I still believe the only way they beat the Terriers was due to our overwhelming number of injuries (that's not taking anything away from them and its not sour grapes, just a valid observation considering the way the game played out).

I'd say Furman wins by a score of something like 40-17.

I agree that your injuries probably cost you that game - look how much better you did next week with a week to prepare the new DBs
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:42 pm

You'll cream them.
terrierbob

Postby gofurman on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:40 pm

terrierbob wrote:You'll cream them.

I just hope we escape Conway with a W. They beat JMU there last year. Thanks for the vote fo confidence though
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:09 pm

Who knew Furman couldn't defend the pass? It'll be interesting to see how the Paladins fare against El Cid next week. That's why they make you play the game. Congrats Coastal. Big win.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gofurman on Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:10 pm

BestOfBreed wrote:Who knew Furman couldn't defend the pass? It'll be interesting to see how the Paladins fare against El Cid next week. That's why they make you play the game. Congrats Coastal. Big win.

Thanks - I am not as confident......Any team that can short pass is a threat to us. However, I am not sure they will be able to keep us from scoring either.

ME - LOL...This game scared me...they are difft at Conway...packed house...recvrs playe dout of their mind....we were also robbed on several calls (and I don't say that much) -did you see the game???? Stepp caught that pass and got the first down to keep our drive going on 4th and 8 (I HAVE IT ON TAPE). Also, I love the no ruling by the refs at the end so the last 20 seconds just went away...if it's a fumbale fine - call it that way - but at least call something....even the TV commentators mentioned that the refs just left the field...WTF???.....also, a BIG probelm was losing our option QB in the 1st (or second ?) Q......you were right they cant stop the run/option so switching to our backup drop-back QB hurt bad...I have no doubt with Renaldo Gray we win 35-20ish
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:47 pm

I was very surprised (shocked even) at this result. I suppose I will have to conceed that Coastal Carolina can play on a competitive level with the SoCon teams. It will be interesting to see if their increased scheduling of SoCon teams helps or hurts their quest to join the conference.

All things considered, I'd say they'd finish in the middle of the pack, kind of like Wofford. Winning some games they shouldn't (Furman), and losing some they shouldn't (Elon).
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football