Wofford vs Furman

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby fgs44 on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:55 pm

I love all this stuff---the comments are great---It makes for interesting reading and gets the emotions stirred up-----Personally,
I think Felton is a great person(from all I've read), and a tremendous force in our league----I truly hope he does have a future in the NFL---it would reflect well on I-aa and the SoCon---the game Saturday, as they all are, will be decided by the guys on the field, and the sidelines, not by by what we the fans say, or think---Would we take Hobbs/Johnson over Felton/Gipson---great to talk about, but of no consequence on game day------Is Mike Ayers cute?---hmmmm--He probably is to Mrs Ayers, but I doubt very much anyone else would describe him in those terms---Is Bobby lamb boneheaded----Probably to Mrs Lamb that may be a descriptive phrase she might us occasionally, but I don't think too may other folks would apply that to him---
I am looking forward to this game. I want to see if our Wofford guys are up to the task. No one usually gives us credit for having a consistent program, but I think we have made tremendous strides since joining 1-aa and the SoCon. Furman has a consistent program, and has a storied history in the SoCon. I think if Wofford can sustain its efforts we can certainly match up well with Furman over a period of time. Will we win on Saturday, who knows? Will Furman win, who knows? Does the opinion of the fans decide the game?---Nope---Is it fun to discuss the advantages, and disadvatnages---Yes---
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:10 pm

gofurman wrote:actually JSU has been ranked at 25th a week ago so they are good. The comment about McNair at UTC is valid except UTC is NOT WCU in most years. Alot of rushing records are set on UTC. All that said I think this is v close and I just hope FU wins and neither team suffers injuries. (lastly, someone commented on last years game getting closer in the 4th, after FUrman was up 34-7...that was against all backups as we were trying to protect guys for playoffs (? was raised was that against backups. Again though I just Paladins can win as this series seems to go to FU easy(?) in Gville and FU v tough in Spartanburg. Certainly the terriers are a discipluined tough opponent who don't beat themselves usually

All 6 TDs in a game means he got the ball inside the 5 at least 6 times. It's impressive. It's a record. I'm happy for him. I think he's a great back. I think it'll be a great game. I thought your win over Western was impressive. Your offense looked good in your loss at UNC. I too hope there are no injuries. Yes, you won last year and we scored a couple of late touchdowns on your backups... the last TD with our backups :P I think Wofford can win. Heck, I hope Wofford wins big and Felton doesn't crack the 50 yard mark... don't think it'll happen but I hope it does. Btw, no JSU is not a very good team. Middle of the OVC is not considered very good even if pollsters did make a mistake and rank them for a week.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gofurman on Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:16 pm

fgs44 wrote:I love all this stuff---the comments are great---It makes for interesting reading and gets the emotions stirred up-----Personally,
I think Felton is a great person(from all I've read), and a tremendous force in our league----I truly hope he does have a future in the NFL---it would reflect well on I-aa and the SoCon---the game Saturday, as they all are, will be decided by the guys on the field, and the sidelines, not by by what we the fans say, or think---Would we take Hobbs/Johnson over Felton/Gipson---great to talk about, but of no consequence on game day------Is Mike Ayers cute?---hmmmm--He probably is to Mrs Ayers, but I doubt very much anyone else would describe him in those terms---Is Bobby lamb boneheaded----Probably to Mrs Lamb that may be a descriptive phrase she might us occasionally, but I don't think too may other folks would apply that to him---
I am looking forward to this game. I want to see if our Wofford guys are up to the task. No one usually gives us credit for having a consistent program, but I think we have made tremendous strides since joining 1-aa and the SoCon. Furman has a consistent program, and has a storied history in the SoCon. I think if Wofford can sustain its efforts we can certainly match up well with Furman over a period of time. Will we win on Saturday, who knows? Will Furman win, who knows? Does the opinion of the fans decide the game?---Nope---Is it fun to discuss the advantages, and disadvatnages---Yes---

I agree - glad to see so much interest. I think we all know that all this talk about backs etc is moot if the lines don't perform - who has the Oline and D that will show ? That team wins. Is Furman disciplined enough to cover the wingbone - I do feel decent here as we have shown for years that we don't get suckered in too much by the wingbone as some teams do and we have a good run D
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby palafan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:20 pm

Just thought I would add a pair of pennies.

Remember that Jerome Felton is a Fullback. He isn't supposed to rush 100+ a game. We have a very good tailback for that, his name is Cedrick Gipson. He leads the team in rushing.

Furman has given up virtually nothing on defense this year to 1-AA teams. They gave up a lot to UNC, but Wofford doesn't have the O-line size nor the size at WR that the heels had. Yes, UNC isn't performing, but they still lost to ranked Rutgers, ranked Virginia Tech, and ranked Clemson. They haven't had a patsy schedule.

I am doubting that Kevious Johnson is as good a back as Clay Green at JSU. Furman held the Payton nominee to 80 yrds. Held Darius Fudge, WCU's good back to 38 yrds. They can defend the run.

Furman doesn't run the option much. It is definitely a threat, but the Paladins certainly don't beat it to death.
palafan

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:57 am

palafan wrote:I am doubting that Kevious Johnson is as good a back as Clay Green at JSU. Furman held the Payton nominee to 80 yrds. Held Darius Fudge, WCU's good back to 38 yrds. They can defend the run.

You might stop Kevious but that still leaves Hobbs, Romero, and more. Btw, Tennessee-Martin held Clay Green to 78 yards rushing last weekend.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:10 am

palafan wrote:Just thought I would add a pair of pennies.

Remember that Jerome Felton is a Fullback. He isn't supposed to rush 100+ a game. We have a very good tailback for that, his name is Cedrick Gipson. He leads the team in rushing.

Furman has given up virtually nothing on defense this year to 1-AA teams. They gave up a lot to UNC, but Wofford doesn't have the O-line size nor the size at WR that the heels had. Yes, UNC isn't performing, but they still lost to ranked Rutgers, ranked Virginia Tech, and ranked Clemson. They haven't had a patsy schedule.

I am doubting that Kevious Johnson is as good a back as Clay Green at JSU. Furman held the Payton nominee to 80 yrds. Held Darius Fudge, WCU's good back to 38 yrds. They can defend the run.

Furman doesn't run the option much. It is definitely a threat, but the Paladins certainly don't beat it to death.

There is no way that you can with a straight face defend UNC as a good team? Did you see USC contain Auburn last night? Kevious ran all over them on the outside. 120+ yds rushing. And, last I checked Adrian Pererson, the Payton Award Winner from GSU was a fullback, so who says they aren't supposed to rush for many yds? Our FB, Hobbs, ran for 80 against USC and for over 100 against CCU.
We may not win, but Paladin arrogance is really getting on my nerves. Do the fact that 4 of the last 5 games between us have been decided by a touchdown or less and we share the SoCon's best record over the last 4 years not garner any respect from the purple nation?
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Terriertime on Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:26 am

[quote="palafan"]Just thought I would add a pair of pennies.

Furman has given up virtually nothing on defense this year to 1-AA teams. They gave up a lot to UNC, but Wofford doesn't have the O-line size nor the size at WR that the heels had.

quote]

Wofford's O-line is much better than UNC's. UNC may have the WORST O-line I have ever seen in ACC history. I can promise you they would not have run for 290 on USC.
Terriertime

Postby Rick C on Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:02 pm

Hello there. Furman fan here just seeing what is being said on this board. I really like the layout and the speed of this board - congratulations!

That being said - here are some thoughts I have about some of the comments made earlier on this board:

Should be a close game. Last year was the only time in the last few years where one team dominated. Wofford is always tough at home. Even in 2004, when Furman had one of its 2-3 best teams ever, the Paladins were very fortunate to come away with a win in Spartanburg. As always, turnovers will play a big part.

I'm surprised at hearing the comment about Lamb making boneheaded calls. Other than the 2 pt conversion call in his first year, not sure what that would refer to. All the Furman fans I know think Furman has a very strong coaching staff.

I agree that some Furman fans make too much of the close game with UNC. There were a couple of things of note in that game - the offense played very well - much better than the previous two games - and the defense generally played well except on 3rd down. Much of UNC's yardage came on 5-6 long plays, which were almost all on 3rd down. Not sure why that was, or what that means. I also agree that USC would soundly beat UNC, whether in Columbia or Chapel Hill.

I'd give Wofford an edge on special teams. I think Wofford has a clear advantage with punting. Furman's punter will kick short, but usually high, so the net will usually be about 34 yards. Furman will have to average about 10 yards per return and Wofford basically fair catch every punt for the net to be equal. Furman has looked pretty good with both punt and kickoff return teams this year, but Wofford has always looked good in special teams, at least in my memory. Hard to say about kicking. Beckler was all-conference going into the season and has been kicking off well, but he has been in a bit of a slump with field goal kicking over the past 6-8 games.

On defense, Furman has typically played Wofford's option pretty well. Even last year, when Furman had a lot of defensive problems, they played pretty well against Wofford. Furman's defense is much better this year than they were last year, both in the starting unit and in the reserves. Right now they are giving up about 255 yards and 18 points per game. It's too soon to say whether they are as good as the 2001 or 2004 units. But Wofford is passing the ball more than they have in the past, which could make the whole package more difficult to defend. I expect Wofford to score somewhere in the 20's.

To me, the real question will be how Furman's offense does against Wofford's defense. Wofford appears to have struggled so far on defense this year, just looking at the stats. Wofford has given up 11 yards per pass attempt, is last in the conference in rushing defense and is next to the bottom in pass efficiency defense. Furman is first in the conference in passing efficiency and yards per pass attempt, and is 3rd in the conference in rushing offense. Furman creates some challenges. Gray is mobile and has a strong arm. Furman has some outstanding receivers. In fact, Stepp could very well be the key to the game. Gray is also a definite running threat, although his number has not been called much to do that this year. Furman can and will run a pro-style game from the I, with some belly option thrown in. It will also move to a Wing T a la Georgia Southern, featuring Felton as the single back, but it will throw more from it than Southern did. It will also go to a spread formation on passing downs and Sorrells, the 2nd string QB, is a very effective passer from the spread.

Felton is a special talent. There are not many 250 lb fullbacks who have the combination of smarts, determination, power, speed and pass-catching ability that he has - at any level. I strongly disagree with anyone who says that he is not a strong pro prospect, although, as a Junior at a I-AA school he is not showing up on many draft sites yet. He won't have as much yardage as some tailbacks because he won't get the number of carries and he will generally run between the tackles. To the guy who compared him to Adrian Peterson, there's a big difference between a fullback in the I and the feature back in the flexbone, like Peterson was. Peterson was really more like a big tailback than a fullback.

That all being said, there are also a lot of new starters on Furman's offense. Ayers is a very clever fellow, and could throw something at Furman's defense that they haven't seen before. I think Furman could score a lot, but there is always the possibility that they will get behind and struggle to score. I think Wofford also has the advantage in being at home and being an underdog. But I expect that Furman will end up winning in a game that is closer than the Sagarin line, the Matt Dougherty prediction or most of the predictions on the Furman message board.

One other thing - I really admire what Wofford has done with its football program. I think Ayers has done a great job, and Wofford has used the Panthers relationship to very good effect. This is the one game per year when I will not be pulling for you.
Rick C

Postby palafan on Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:43 pm

BossTerrier wrote:
palafan wrote:Just thought I would add a pair of pennies.

There is no way that you can with a straight face defend UNC as a good team? Did you see USC contain Auburn last night? Kevious ran all over them on the outside. 120+ yds rushing. And, last I checked Adrian Pererson, the Payton Award Winner from GSU was a fullback, so who says they aren't supposed to rush for many yds? Our FB, Hobbs, ran for 80 against USC and for over 100 against CCU.
We may not win, but Paladin arrogance is really getting on my nerves. Do the fact that 4 of the last 5 games between us have been decided by a touchdown or less and we share the SoCon's best record over the last 4 years not garner any respect from the purple nation?

Y'all have respect from the Purple nation. Believe me, I thought this would be the most dangerous game of the year going into the season.

From what I hear, UT-Martin has a pretty good defense.

Adrian Peterson was a fullback in name only. GSU didn't have a position called "tailback." Their offense was centered around him, Furman's isn't centered around Felton.

Didn't say UNC had a good team. Didn't say they had a better o-line. I said they had a very big o-line and wore us down with it (one of the biggest in the ACC). They had receivers too big for us to cover. Wofford has neither that O-line size nor the receiver size. Furman doesn't fumble that kickoff in the opening few minutes, we win that football game by 17.

Furman's true weakness on defense is jump balls. We have shorter corner backs that are excellent coverage guys but can't get up to defense passes against taller recievers. Cost us the UNC game this year, cost us the GSU game last year.

Furman fans don't believe that they will just show up and win. However, if we play our game and don't turn the ball over, it will be very difficult for the Terriers.
palafan

Postby Wingbone on Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:50 pm

Pal -- Furman corner coverage will not play a factor in this game as far as receiveirs and a deep passing game like UNC -- Can your corners tackle -can they avoid the chops and take the outside away on the run - that will be their biggest challenge.

If we pass the ball more than 10 times (and half of that will be to tight ends and running backs) it will be a different game plan than in the past.

You guys are going to see a heavy dose of KJ -and a bunch of stuff up the gut...

This will be a great ball game and fun to watch -- Good luck to all the guys!

Beware of Dog!!
Wingbone

Postby palafan on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:12 pm

Furman's run defense has never worried me. Even last year, in a down defensive year, we still didn't really let teams run roughshod. The past few years have shown that the best way to beat Furman was to throw short quick passes for 4/5 yrd gains.

However, if the Terriers decide to run right into the teeth of our best players, well, I'm ok with that. :)

If Wofford passes the ball more than 10 times, it means you are losing at the rest is moot.
palafan

Postby gofurman on Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:56 pm

I like to see all the backand=forth. Good to see such interest. The one disagreement I would have with one post above was someone who said they think Wofford's special teams have always been good. There were years where Wofford was afraid to kik a 35 yard field goal and would go for it instead on fourth and four at the opponents 18. That does not apply to this year I do not think as they seem to have come a long way in the field goal dept which is a credit to them.

Also, the quote on Adrian Peterson is right on - he was 220ish and sortof a tweener. We have a 220 tb. Felton is 250 so he is not going to break long ones.
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:59 pm

regarding our poor defense against the run: how did we fare against carolina?
terrierbob

Postby gofurman on Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:42 pm

terrierbob wrote:regarding our poor defense against the run: how did we fare against carolina?

better than against us :) apparently we are better than USC :) LOL - esp considering we had to play in Gibbs and they had you at WB
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Football