Wofford vs Furman

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby Ruckus on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:28 pm

There are a lot descriptions for Mike Ayers. "Cute" is not one of them. Nor would I recommend someone telling him that. If you've ever seen or participated in a Wofford practice, I assure you would not choose it either. As for FU's "pretty significant talent advantage", I would also disagree unless you are referring to depth which is to be expected with more scholarships. Different systems with different needs. I also disagree that ST play will factor in. I think it may come down to ST play. As the 3rd ranked team in the country playing an unranked team, FU should be heavily favored, but it should be a closer game.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby YipYip on Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:46 pm

Felton only has one 100 yard game so far so someone's been stopping him. Maybe not inside the 5 yard line though. :) Wofford's secondary has given up some big plays... was it the inexperience from the injuries? We'll find out Saturday. If all Gray has to do is chunk it up 35 yards in the air to a wide open receiver (like the 1st 3 games for the Terriers) then Wofford is in trouble. I hope getting some starters back in the secondary is the difference for the defense though and I think it will be. Wofford by 10.

Chris Tommie is a weapon.
YipYip

Postby fufan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:03 pm

When you're leading the country in TDs, you're not being stopped. Obviously Felton doesn't break a lot of huge runs because he works between the tackles... running over D-lineman slows him down a bit.

So far as overall talent... I wasn't try to trash Wofford, the Terriers have put out some good teams recently and remain a solid squad. But I don't see how someone can say Wofford is equal in talent. If so, Wofford has really underachieved the last couple years.
fufan

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:06 pm

Some rebuttal rambling from a Wofford Fan...

For goodness sakes I wish Furman fans would quit acting like they've actually beat somebody. West Georgia and an Unranked JSU team are hardly impressive wins, and a thrashing of WCU is not really that impressive...it is WCU. After Clemson's demolishing ot UNC, I wonder if it was UNC that didn't pull off the upset against Furman a couple weeks ago?

That said, this has been a relatively close game over the past 5 years, with Furman usually winning with the exception of 2003. Games at Wofford are very close, so this one will be as well.

I have to say I would take Kevious Johnson's moves and speed over Felton's size anyday. 6 TDs is special, but Wofford fans remember JR McNair's 5 TDs against Chattanooga a few years ago also.
What Kevious did against the South Carolina defense was amazing-he left their Jock straps on the field.
As for passing, be careful what you wish for-we have looked good in certain opportunities to use the pass-
We were 9 for 19 on 3rd down conversions in the Carolina game and dominated the time of posession, >35min for the game. Carolina's superior talent advantage didn't really help them against us, so why would Furman's? Seems like Felton wasn't on may D-I radars...so like us you find hidden gems and cultivate to get the most out of them.

Wofford has a great chance in this game...
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby fufan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:33 pm

I don't disagree. Wofford could win. I think this might be Furman's 2nd hardest remaining game, behind @ App St.

Felton v Johnson is apples and oranges. I will say this though, Felton is going to play in the NFL, quite possibly as a one-back, whereas Johnson will not. But they are both great players.
fufan

Postby Terriertime on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:02 pm

I don't care what FU fans say, I'll take Hobbs, Johnson, and Romero anyday over Felton and Gibson. BTW- Are you really crazy enough to think Felton is an NFL feature back? He'll be lucky to make a team as a third runningback or fullback.
Terriertime

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:07 pm

fufan wrote:I don't disagree. Wofford could win. I think this might be Furman's 2nd hardest remaining game, behind @ App St.

Felton v Johnson is apples and oranges. I will say this though, Felton is going to play in the NFL, quite possibly as a one-back, whereas Johnson will not. But they are both great players.

Louis Ivory won the Payton award while dominating I-AA a few years ago...what is he doing now?

Felton won't last long int he NFL...
BossTerrier

Postby fufan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:07 pm

Many NFL scouts disagree with you.
fufan

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:23 pm

I wonder if Ayers can put the "Felton will be an NFL Back, Johnson won't" on the bulletin board in the locker room? Thanks FUFU!
BossTerrier

Postby fufan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:47 pm

I would hope both sides were more worried about the game this weekend.

But if you want to dis the J-Train, that's your right. Hopefully you'll enjoy his numerous trips to your end zone.
fufan

Postby Terriertime on Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:48 pm

Fufan, who on this board said he wasn't a tremendous 1-AA and SoCon football player? Nobody did. We just don't think he's NFL caliber. You say many NFL scouts would disagree with us about Felton. Please link me to some of these rankings. I remember when Furman people kept saying that Cain kid ya'll had at tackle was going to be an NFL guy. I think he got cut before camp even started.

Can't find his name anywhere:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008 ... cfm?pos=FB
http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2008 ... cfm?pos=RB
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/08runningbacks.htm
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/08fullbacks.htm
Terriertime

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:03 pm

fufan wrote:Hopefully you'll enjoy his numerous trips to your end zone.

I hope to enjoy Hobbs in the endzone many more times :)
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby fufan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:12 pm

This is what Yahoo sports had to say:

"some NFL teams will evaluate him as a possible one back while others will see him as having a fullback-type body for the NFL."

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug ... &type=lgns

But the thing about Felton is that he's a junior. The NFL draft sites are usually slow on I-AA players. And I guess NFL scouts are just watching Felton play to waste time.

I really don't get the Felton and Furman bashing here. Doesn't it make more sense to build Furman up so that if you win, it's a bigger upset :?:
fufan

Postby gofurman on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:10 pm

Louis Ivory went to Camp for Atlanta but couldn't hang bc of his knee injury (he didn't even get to try out until a year after he graduated as he had to rehab his knee - make sure everyone has facts before we speak guys....and i mean guys on both sides aight?) Ingle, RUff, and NEwton are in the NFL while WOff has none in the NFL. West and others were in camps (Bratton too) or NFL Europe so I think there is no denying Felton has a chance as he is as dominant as we have seen. I didn't see Stanford Jennings who played for us and then i n the NFL for 9 years but maybe the guys that did can say whether Felton is as dominant (of course Felton is FB and Jennings was TB)
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:28 pm

BossTerrier wrote:Some rebuttal rambling from a Wofford Fan...

For goodness sakes I wish Furman fans would quit acting like they've actually beat somebody. West Georgia and an Unranked JSU team are hardly impressive wins, and a thrashing of WCU is not really that impressive...it is WCU. After Clemson's demolishing ot UNC, I wonder if it was UNC that didn't pull off the upset against Furman a couple weeks ago?

That said, this has been a relatively close game over the past 5 years, with Furman usually winning with the exception of 2003. Games at Wofford are very close, so this one will be as well.

I have to say I would take Kevious Johnson's moves and speed over Felton's size anyday. 6 TDs is special, but Wofford fans remember JR McNair's 5 TDs against Chattanooga a few years ago also.
What Kevious did against the South Carolina defense was amazing-he left their Jock straps on the field.
As for passing, be careful what you wish for-we have looked good in certain opportunities to use the pass-
We were 9 for 19 on 3rd down conversions in the Carolina game and dominated the time of posession, >35min for the game. Carolina's superior talent advantage didn't really help them against us, so why would Furman's? Seems like Felton wasn't on may D-I radars...so like us you find hidden gems and cultivate to get the most out of them.

Wofford has a great chance in this game...

actually JSU has been ranked at 25th a week ago so they are good. The comment about McNair at UTC is valid except UTC is NOT WCU in most years. Alot of rushing records are set on UTC. All that said I think this is v close and I just hope FU wins and neither team suffers injuries. (lastly, someone commented on last years game getting closer in the 4th, after FUrman was up 34-7...that was against all backups as we were trying to protect guys for playoffs (? was raised was that against backups. Again though I just Paladins can win as this series seems to go to FU easy(?) in Gville and FU v tough in Spartanburg. Certainly the terriers are a discipluined tough opponent who don't beat themselves usually
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football