Wofford vs Furman

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Wofford vs Furman

Postby fgs44 on Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:39 am

Well after three games, we have done some good things. I really liked our effort last week(SC), and believe that not only could we have won that game, I think we should have won it. The defensive effort was tremendous. This is the week when things really start to come into focus. My sense of how the game may play out is a lot of offense by both teams. Our ground game looks really good so far, but we are going to have to take it up a notch. If we can make some big plays on defense, then I think we can win. If we can beat Furman, that will give us a huge opportunity to make a serious run in the conference------
What have been the keys to Furman's offense this year---Of course we all know about Felton, but what about their passing game---How has the qb and the receivers been performing---The off line?-----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:53 pm

Hopefully the Terriers can avoid getting down early against Furman like last year (and the way Western did yesterday). If Wofford can hang in the game, they'll have a chance, but it's hard to win when you're down several scores early.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Wingbone on Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:32 pm

This is going to be a great game! And a must win for Wofford. I think we will be able to run the ball effectively, but to your point (eyes) we need to be able to stop Furman - Felton is a load and Gray can make plays too.

Let's hope everyone is healthy and ready to play.

Good luck Terriers!!
Wingbone

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:05 am

There are 3 keys this week: 1) Stop Felton; 2) Stop Felton; 3) Stop Felton. Oh yeah and while we are at it, stop Gipson. Seriously, we have to make them throw it. Then hope Gray and Stepp don't kill us. Biggest challenge of the year defensively (yes, even including USC). Offense will be huge in controlling the clock and keeping the D fresh. Okay. Biggest challenge of the year on both sides of the ball.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:30 pm

Should be a good game. The two best scoring offenses in the SoCon going head to head. Everyone keeps talking about how we're going to have to stop Felton/Gibbs but they have to figure out how to stop Hobbs/Kevious. Neither is an easy task. The Terriers can win it but it's not going to be easy.

The Terriers are the healthiest they've been all year on defense and we've had two weeks to prepare for this game. Justice Joslin will get his first collegiate touchdown and it'll be a big one. Terriers win it late 38-35 :D
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby furman94 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:49 am

Furman in 1 OT. 38-35 :D
furman94

Postby Ruckus on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:05 am

IF Wofford's D shows up, and IF we can move the ball effectively and control the clock, it will come down to special teams and kickers which shouldn't make either team real happy.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:29 am

Ruckus wrote:IF Wofford's D shows up, and IF we can move the ball effectively and control the clock, it will come down to special teams and kickers which shouldn't make either team real happy.

We're averaging close to 9 yards more net punting the football at least. If we have to play the field position game then we have an advantage there.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:33 am

I agree that Tommie has a great leg and our punt block pressure has success. But their kick/punt returns are superior. It's the field goals and extra points that should scare both teams (especially us).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 am

Ruckus wrote:I agree that Tommie has a great leg and our punt block pressure has success. But their kick/punt returns are superior. It's the field goals and extra points that should scare both teams (especially us).

Ye of little faith, look at the stats:

we are 5-7 on Field goals this year, and 9-9 on PATs. Furman is 1-3 on field goals this yr.
Nick Robinson (Wof) leads the SoCon in Kick Scoring at 7.3 point per game.
Scott Bleckler (Fur) is 5th in the league at 4.8 per contest.
Field Goal/PAT advantage: Wofford

Wofford leads the SoCon in Net Punting, Furman is Dead last.
Chris Tommie (Wof) is 2nd in the conference in punting.
Aurthur Williams (Fur) is last in the league in Punting.
Punting Advantage: Wofford

Kickoffs:

Wofford allows 19.8 yards per return on Kickoffs, with 10 touchbacks.
Furman allows 18.3 return yards on kickoffs, with only 2 touchbacks.
Advantage: Even, but with touchbacks slight edge to Wofford.

I would say that we have a superior advantage in the Kicking game on paper.
But can we come through with the 45 yd FG or 50+ yd punt in clutch situations, that will be the key-
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Ruckus on Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:58 pm

I hope it doesn't come down to making a long one (or a short one for that matter). I know we will play hard but I don't know that we have the horses to pull it out. The only thing that scares me is that first half v sc state and the CCU game. They will hang 50 on us if we play like that.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:35 pm

BossTerrier wrote:
Ruckus wrote:I agree that Tommie has a great leg and our punt block pressure has success. But their kick/punt returns are superior. It's the field goals and extra points that should scare both teams (especially us).

Ye of little faith, look at the stats:

we are 5-7 on Field goals this year, and 9-9 on PATs. Furman is 1-3 on field goals this yr.
Nick Robinson (Wof) leads the SoCon in Kick Scoring at 7.3 point per game.
Scott Bleckler (Fur) is 5th in the league at 4.8 per contest.
Field Goal/PAT advantage: Wofford

Wofford leads the SoCon in Net Punting, Furman is Dead last.
Chris Tommie (Wof) is 2nd in the conference in punting.
Aurthur Williams (Fur) is last in the league in Punting.
Punting Advantage: Wofford

Kickoffs:

Wofford allows 19.8 yards per return on Kickoffs, with 10 touchbacks.
Furman allows 18.3 return yards on kickoffs, with only 2 touchbacks.
Advantage: Even, but with touchbacks slight edge to Wofford.

I would say that we have a superior advantage in the Kicking game on paper.
But can we come through with the 45 yd FG or 50+ yd punt in clutch situations, that will be the key-

What about punt returns? I have got to think FU leads that (which negates the punting advantage some). Also, that KO is skewed bc UNC had a great return game. We have been improving if you saw the Western clash.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:01 pm

Furman is third in the league in punt returns at 13.3 yds per return.Pretty good...but Guess who's #2? Wofford Baby, at 20 yds per return.

I guess that is skewed because of the North Carolina game also, right?

stats are what they are...just a measuring stick.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:20 am

Here's several thoughts on the upcoming game after a recent conversation with a friend who's a Furman alum.

1) Could the game's outcome turn on another bone-headed call by Furman's coaching staff? Almost everyone (Paladin fans included) wonders what's going on with those guys some of the time.

2) Furman's offense is running better with Gray at QB that last year with Ingle Martin because of the added dimension of running the ball. But, that creates a more option oriented look that Wofford's defense sees everyday in practice.

3) In last years' game, after Furman ran away with the first 3 quarters of the game, Wofford put together a convincing rally at the unsurmountable lead. I'm not sure if they did it against Furman's starters or subs, but that experience could provide some confidence.

4) Kevious Johnson has always been a "big game" player. Remember his coming out party against GSU as a freshman? Western Kentucky in the 2003 Quarterfinals? Aside from the game against South Carolina, name a better game all season for him to definatively say, "I'M BACK!"

5) Wofford vs. Furman is a friendly, but passionate rivalry between two classy schools and alumni bases. While both schools have other rivals (The Citadel, GSU, etc.), many students and alumni from both schools grew up together, went to high school together, work together, etc. While the bad behavior seen at some SoCon venues (ASU, GSU) will probably not be seen in Gibbs this weekend, no one should think for one minute that this game is not deeply important to everyone involved which should motivate both sides to pull out all the stops.

6) Did Furman peak last week against Western? Almost everyone expected that to be a better, closer game. Almost everyone has been boasting about all the points Furman put up on UNC-CH (probably the 11th best team in the ACC and a long way behind #10). That coupled with Wofford's loss to Coastal Carolina which lost to Elon and the come from behind win over SC State which has since been soundly beaten could mean either overconfidence in the Paladins or underestimation of a healthier Terrier team.

All this being said, I think it will come down to whichever defense performs better and remains fresh. Both offenses are strong, but whoever controls the ball and keeps their defensive legs rested should be in the best position to win unless mental lapses like turnovers and penalties take over.

Here my final thought:
While I'm not a bettor, I have noticed that by the Sagarin ratings, Furman would be a 13.67 point favorite over Wofford. If I were a bettor, I'd definately take the Terriers and the points because I feel very confident that if Wofford doesn't find a way to win, they will most certainly keep it close; probably much closer that 13 points.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby fufan on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:05 pm

I'm not one to go onto another school's board and talk smack, but I thought I'd post some thoughts on the game, hopefully not taken the wrong way.

- Special teams: stats are meaningless at this time of year. Furman has looked better in some aspects of ST play, primarily coverage on kick returns, then I have seen in recent years. Stepp is a solid punt returner, the kick return game isn't totally settled but there's talent there. FGs are a question mark, Beckler has had few opportunities this year but was inconsistent last year. I don't know too much about the Terriers' ST but my guess is that it won't be a decisive part of the game.

When Furman has the ball: Furman isn't really running that much option. The wingbone is being mixed with the I mostly for Felton's sake. In any case the Furman offense has looked very good the past 2 games... Felton just cannot be stopped. He can't do it all by himself, however. The Paladins have a lot of good skill-position players who are among the best in the SoCon... Stepp, Gipson, Gray. Wofford's D-line might be their most important unit if they hope to pull the upset. Furman's O-line has really come together and is one of the best units in I-AA. No defense can have success unless they disrupt the O-line and stop plays from developing. So it seems unlikely to me that Wofford's defense will have a lot of success.

When Wofford has the ball: But as they say, the best defense is a good offense. The Terriers can hope to keep Furman's offense off the field by putting together enough long drives. It's no secret what Wofford tries to do and it's tough to stop. I think one potential issue for the Terriers is how they do on 3rd down. They might need to establish a little bit of a passing game because there will be times that they don't get 7-8 yards on 1st and 2nd down, as Furman is tough against the run. The Paladins have seen plenty of option teams, unlike SC, so Furman understands what their game plan on defense will be. All things being equal though, the offense has the advantage, because if they execute there's only so much a defense can do.

Coaching: Bobby Lamb bashing is fairly common, even among some Furman fans, but it's hard to understand why. He wins over 70% of his games and most of the losses were very close. Sure, Furman should have won it all in '04, but Lamb didn't fumble or miss a kick or what have you. Ayers is a very good coach but he gets too cute sometimes. I'd say coaching is a wash.

Prediction: Furman was favored by 2 TDs over WCU and I passed (I do bet on I-AA games though). Right now the Paladins are 10.5 point favorites (2 TDs at a neutral site; home field is worth 3.5 or so) against Wofford. I expect I'll pass again. Furman has a pretty significant talent advantage but the clock changes really make for a short game when both sides run the ball. My guess is Furman 31, Wofford 20.
fufan

Next

Return to Football