Injuries

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Injuries

Postby Rowdy on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:37 am

From Herald Journal article, looks like most will be healthy for the Furman game;

Ayers shows he's a gamer

With no game this week, about a dozen banged-up Wofford football players watched practice Wednesday.

One of the scout-team quarterbacks, however, was out there throwing passes despite a back injury that recently had him crawling for help.

That quarterback is also the head coach. Mike Ayers went down Saturday, not on the field against the University of South Carolina, but in his own yard. He was pulling a water pump out of his pond.

"It was just a little old pump," Ayers said. "I just picked it up, kind of bent over, and launched it. … That's where I messed up. I was suspended in place a little bit too long and when I turned, it went pop. I couldn't even get up."

His entire left side having gone into spasms, Ayers crawled to the rail of his deck, pulled himself up and walked crookedly inside.

"It only got worse from there," he said.

Ayers' wife, Julie, drove him to see the doctors, the passenger seat tilted back all the way. He was given two shots and a brace fitted to squeeze.

"I forgot all about it when the game got started," Ayers said. "I didn't feel it."

In the locker room after the Terriers put a scare in the Gamecocks, losing 27-20, the players took off their pads and Ayers, without thinking much about it, unbuckled his back brace.

"When I took that belt off, it felt like my whole back was collapsing," he said. "I should have just kept it on. They helped me to the car, flattened out the seat, and Julie drove me home."

At practice Wednesday, he was walking fine -- and firing darts for completions.

"I'm almost there," Ayers said. "As you can see, my throwing skills today were magnificent. But I couldn't do any sprinting out or anything like that."

Among those reduced spectators this week are the starting three running backs, Kevious Johnson, Michael Hobbs and Dane Romero, as well as freshman Brian Whitehurst.

Backup quarterback Ben Widmyer is recovering from knee surgery last week.

On defense, starting linemen Bryan Blair and James Gonsoulin are out. Hobbs, Whitehurst and Blair wore protective boots.

All of the above are expected to play next week in the Southern Conference opener at home against fourth-ranked Furman.

More good news for Wofford is that the defense has welcomed back defensive ends Layton Baker and Michael Combest, and cornerbacks Brian Kemp and Filmon Dawkins, who have all been out with injuries. Kemp has been sidelined with a hamstring injury since the first days of fall practice. He was running at full speed and leaped high for one pickoff try.

Senior tailback Terrance Ware is also back from a shoulder injury, wearing a red jersey normally used by the quarterbacks, so he won't get hit too hard.

uStarting quarterback Josh Collier ran some wide r eceiver routes on scout team and jokingly complained: "I'm tired of being open and not getting the ball."

The regular receivers had no sympathy.

uBrandon Berry, the senior wideout who switched to cornerback because of all the injuries, is still on defense even with the return of Kemp and Dawkins.

Berry has started the last two games at corner and done well. He is there at least through the Furman game, or until Zac Grey is able to return from a shoulder injury.

uWide receiver Andy Strickland made a one-handed catch near the sideline at practice, reminding his teammates of a spectacular grab Saturday by South Carolina's Sidney Rice, who played with Strickland at Gaffney High School.

"Nice catch, Sidney," Terriers linebacker Justin Franklin told Strickland.

uAyers said he would give the players Friday and Saturday off so they could go home if possible. The Terriers will have their regular Sunday evening practice.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Lazy feet gets you lazy beat."
Rowdy

Postby gofurman on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:43 am

Durn... :) Glad they are healthy but couldn't they wait until October? :) :)
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby furman94 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:16 pm

Don't worry gofurman. We'll kill the little terriers.

FU!
furman94

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:25 pm

furman94 wrote:Don't worry gofurman. We'll kill the little terriers.

We shall see. Should be a good game. You might want to worry a little about Western first though :wink:
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:15 pm

furman94 wrote:Don't worry gofurman. We'll kill the little terriers.

FU!

Isn't that special?
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:21 pm

Why should they? They are mighty mighty Furman after all. They should win a walk. In fact, they are soooo good, why should anyone play them the rest of the year? Does the NCAA allow a pre-emptive forfeiture? It could be called the Furman rule.

P.S. Do they teach sarcasm at FU a/k/a the University of Atlanta at Greenville a/k/a Emory University-North a/k/a Davidson College-South?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:52 am

Ruckus wrote:FU a/k/a the University of Atlanta at Greenville a/k/a Emory University-North a/k/a Davidson College-South?

LOL!
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Re: Injuries

Postby gofurman on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:10 am

Rowdy wrote:From Herald Journal article, looks like most will be healthy for the Furman game;

Ayers shows he's a gamer

With no game this week, about a dozen banged-up Wofford football players watched practice Wednesday.

One of the scout-team quarterbacks, however, was out there throwing passes despite a back injury that recently had him crawling for help.

That quarterback is also the head coach. Mike Ayers went down Saturday, not on the field against the University of South Carolina, but in his own yard. He was pulling a water pump out of his pond.

"It was just a little old pump," Ayers said. "I just picked it up, kind of bent over, and launched it. … That's where I messed up. I was suspended in place a little bit too long and when I turned, it went pop. I couldn't even get up."

His entire left side having gone into spasms, Ayers crawled to the rail of his deck, pulled himself up and walked crookedly inside.

"It only got worse from there," he said.

Ayers' wife, Julie, drove him to see the doctors, the passenger seat tilted back all the way. He was given two shots and a brace fitted to squeeze.

"I forgot all about it when the game got started," Ayers said. "I didn't feel it."

In the locker room after the Terriers put a scare in the Gamecocks, losing 27-20, the players took off their pads and Ayers, without thinking much about it, unbuckled his back brace.

"When I took that belt off, it felt like my whole back was collapsing," he said. "I should have just kept it on. They helped me to the car, flattened out the seat, and Julie drove me home."

At practice Wednesday, he was walking fine -- and firing darts for completions.

"I'm almost there," Ayers said. "As you can see, my throwing skills today were magnificent. But I couldn't do any sprinting out or anything like that."

Among those reduced spectators this week are the starting three running backs, Kevious Johnson, Michael Hobbs and Dane Romero, as well as freshman Brian Whitehurst.

Backup quarterback Ben Widmyer is recovering from knee surgery last week.

On defense, starting linemen Bryan Blair and James Gonsoulin are out. Hobbs, Whitehurst and Blair wore protective boots.

All of the above are expected to play next week in the Southern Conference opener at home against fourth-ranked Furman.

More good news for Wofford is that the defense has welcomed back defensive ends Layton Baker and Michael Combest, and cornerbacks Brian Kemp and Filmon Dawkins, who have all been out with injuries. Kemp has been sidelined with a hamstring injury since the first days of fall practice. He was running at full speed and leaped high for one pickoff try.

Senior tailback Terrance Ware is also back from a shoulder injury, wearing a red jersey normally used by the quarterbacks, so he won't get hit too hard.

uStarting quarterback Josh Collier ran some wide r eceiver routes on scout team and jokingly complained: "I'm tired of being open and not getting the ball."

The regular receivers had no sympathy.

uBrandon Berry, the senior wideout who switched to cornerback because of all the injuries, is still on defense even with the return of Kemp and Dawkins.

Berry has started the last two games at corner and done well. He is there at least through the Furman game, or until Zac Grey is able to return from a shoulder injury.

uWide receiver Andy Strickland made a one-handed catch near the sideline at practice, reminding his teammates of a spectacular grab Saturday by South Carolina's Sidney Rice, who played with Strickland at Gaffney High School.

"Nice catch, Sidney," Terriers linebacker Justin Franklin told Strickland.

uAyers said he would give the players Friday and Saturday off so they could go home if possible. The Terriers will have their regular Sunday evening practice.

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Lazy feet gets you lazy beat."

So any word on who will be out when we play? I swear it seems that they have all been beat up on your defense but are all returning for our game :(......I wish no ill will but couldn't they heal up one week later? Seriously, any idea of who is playing and who is not? DEs Layton, Combest, DB Kemp, Dawkins, Grey RBs kevious, Hobbs, Romero, DL Blair Gonsoulin, ....sounds like they were all out and now only Grey remains out?
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:27 pm

What about Leventis - I believe he is out for the year at LB? Was he a starter or a backup?
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:59 pm

I understand leventis is out for the year.
Rowdy

Postby gofurman on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:38 pm

Rowdy wrote:I understand leventis is out for the year.

Sorry to hear that. In all my inquiries I can't deny I wouldn't mind if some of these guys took on e more week to heal so as to be post-FU :) but I wish none of them ill will. Please understand that. I hope he can return next year. Was he a starter? At which LB position?
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:27 am

He was a starter at outside linebacker.
Rowdy

Postby gofurman on Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:41 pm

Rowdy wrote:He was a starter at outside linebacker.

Thanks. I hope to be in Spartanburg this weekend to see da' battle.
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby furman94 on Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:51 am

Me too

Kill Wofford!!
furman94

Return to Football