Disappointing Game

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Disappointing Game

Postby BestOfBreed on Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Could have won. Probably should have won. Offensive playcalling has to improve. Hats off to Coastal.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:43 pm

not just offesive play calling but defense has to improve; not certain of injuries to that side of the ball, but we gotten burned by the pass too many times.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:58 pm

I listened to the game, so I can't say I saw what happened, but I came away with two perspectives, one good, one bad.

The good - The team showed flashes of a potent offense and got up off the mat when Coastal jumped out to the 10 point lead. Wofford hasn't been overly resilient in years past, so this is a good thing.

The bad - In between the flashes of potency, they let a dazed opponent off the hook yet again by either predictable playcalling or mental breakdowns. Pass defense has rarely been a Terrier strong suit, but the inability to contain medium to long pass plays totally undermines the containment/bend but don't break defense Wofford plays. I felt like I was listening to a replay of last year's Gardner-Webb game but without the positive ending.

What I take away from this game is that experience is starting to build considering the offense rarely moved with such ease last season. That could be the addition of Kevious and a healthy Hobbs, but some of it is likely O-Line play as well. But, the defense seems to still be "a year away". Maybe it's the injuries, maybe it's the scheme, maybe this was just a super-motivated Coastal team up against a motivated Terrier team. At any rate, I agree with BestOfBreed's assessment that the could have and probably should have won. Hopefully, this loss will contribute to the Gamecocks overlooking us so we can do more than just cash a check.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:29 am

good points, eyes. Another plus was the crowd seemed to be in this game, more so than many Wofford games I have seen.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:43 am

The defense has gone through stretches in both games where they just look lost out there. To their credit, they showed some heart tonight to make back to back stops to give us a chance to win. Sadly, after those 2 stops facing 3rd and 4 on our 41 (we even call timeout to talk it over)... we call a gimmick play that loses yardage. Thanks Wade.

Justice Joslin is just plain fast!!

Both QBs did a nice job with the option. Special teams played a great game for the Terriers. Unfortunately, Tommie saved his only bad punt of the night for the last one :(

Now, I'm worried Spurrier will try to use us next week to show everyone they do have an offense.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Inappropriate

Postby T-fan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:26 am

Very disappointing to see the coach make a comment in the paper concerning the late interception throw by the quarterback. The comment was something like " It's frustrating that he made some good plays and then makes a throw like that." A couple of points:

1) It was not a great throw put it was a throw where the receiver and the
defender both went up for it and the defender jumped a little higher and came down with it.
2) How aboout keeping the negative comments in private and building some confidence in a young quarterback that had just brought you back from two scores down.
3) A team that scores 38 points should win a ball game. How about the coach talking about the defense.
4) When you get the ball at the 12 on a turnover and you are a running team,why do you run a trick play and throw an interception on a halfback pass.

I could go on. But for the coach to make a comment like that is inappropriate. It is a team game. Wofford lost the game as a team,players and coaches included.
T-fan

Postby Terriertime on Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:32 pm

Calm down Mr. Widmyer, I think all Terrier fans are appreciative of what Ben has done for Wofford. :D
Terriertime

You stand corrected

Postby T-fan on Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:23 pm

TerrierTime,
A few points. I am not Mr Widmyer. Next, I never questioned
any fan. I think Wofford fans are great. Finally, I was stating my opinion
and I respect your right to disagree with it. How is that for being calm?
T-fan

Postby woffwoff on Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:41 pm

That was a dissapointing game. My thoughts are :

Young Widmeyer did not lose this game, had the pass been caught, because there was a receiver there, Ben would have been a hero. After watching him last night I would say, Hang on and watch cause this young man has "it".

The o-line looked shakey to me. We should have put another 21 points on the board but there were several mis-cues that hurt.

The defense needs some work. Or maybe some back-ups to give the starters a breather. When they were good they were Fantastic. Very gutsy, very tough. The coverage calls were odd, coastal had to many men open to far down the field to many times not to question the defensive scheme.

Finally, if Coastal had lost to Elon last week, this would have a different feel to it. They have a heavy senior squad, and don't seem to have the
injury bug we have caught and we still could have won.

This year is not lost, but it is going to be a tough one.

signed,
not Mr. Widmeyer either 8)
woffwoff

Postby PX on Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:28 pm

[quote="woffwoff"]That was a dissapointing game.

This year is not lost, but it is going to be a tough one.

signed,
not Mr. Widmeyer either 8)[/quote

woffwoff: Not as tough as the one I think we'll be having here at GSU.. :oops:

If we haven't greatly improved by the time your Terriers visit Statesboro on 11/11 we simply won't be much of a test for you. I have never seen a GSU Eagle team look as bad as we did last night.

More good news, if we lose we'll have a fireworks display for ya!

Maybe we both are a bit pessimistic... Lordy I hope so.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
PX

Postby BossTerrier on Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:12 pm

I was at the game. Ayers was right describing our backs earlier this year...we may have the best backfield during his tenure as coach-

Poor play calls hurt...intercepted halfback pass on the 25 after a turnover and proven ability to move the football??? 7 points we really needed.

Defense was horrible, 4 starters out hurt, but we had no penetration up front, Coastal's QB had all day to throw the football-how about the TD when we had no one within 25 yds of the reciever??????

Lots of arm tackling as well. Defense looked fairly good last week...looked horrible this week.

last play call was horrible. We had over 2 minutes left and 2 TOs. We only needed 35-40 yds for a tying field goal attempt. We didn't need it all in one play, especially when they were playing prevent defense.

this was not a typical wofford performance-

Sad thing is we were good enough to win-
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby fgs44 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:01 am

The offensive effort was terriffic---The defense, due to the loss of key guys, needs a lot of work. I am sure that some of the deficiencies will be corrected, and we should get a couple of cornerbacks back before Furman. If you take away some of the big plays that put us in a hole, then you don't get the ints that we gave up, and the whole game takes on a new complexion. I believe we have the opportunity to win a lot of games this year----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:13 pm

Not to rehash many of the points made already (most I agree with; a few I don't), but from my perspective, I see a team that has great potential particularly on offense. I am not as concerned about the offensive line (other than depth) because when given opportunties to block man on man we usually come out on top. The only time we ran into trouble was in defensive fronts that overloaded one side or caught us with poor plays called against the blitz. Of course, you live and die by the sword and we caught them in fronts or blitzs which gave us great holes and big runs. Aside from Widmeyer, I thought Josh Collier played a great game in reading the option which he didn't last year (but he did make poor throws here and there). Defensive problems are obvious (particularly the front 7/8 ) and weak play there creates more pressure on a depleted backfield; but I will point out that the mistakes in the defensive backfield also came from experienced players who should have known better. Most of their big plays came form blown coverages, time and time again. These mistakes are mental as opposed to physical.
The bottom line is: this was a game we are accustomed to winning (38 points is usually more than enough to come away with a "W") and we lost it ways we are not accostomed to seeing (poor defensive play, mental mistakes and turnovers at the worst times). You can't ignore the injury factor but that is no excuse. I thought there were some questionable coaching decisions but overall we were in position to win. The kids played hard. I hope we get better and learn from it. What is sad is we have a better football team than what allowed 41 points Saturday night. Let's hope we show it in SoCon play.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffwoff on Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:36 pm

How can the o-line not have depth? There are 20 players or so listed as O-line, if there is not depth there then somebody ain't preparing very well. At least the D has injuries to challenge the depth. The freshman Pat is a Giant, then there are five or six others that signed as well as last years class-there should be depth there. I saw a couple sophomores go in, quick and miller and that was it-when do the freshman get a chance to get some experience. Very short sighted not to have depth on the o-line,
if by depth you mean experience, because you cannot mean numbers or talent, both of those are there.
woffwoff

Postby Ruckus on Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:35 pm

I am referring to depth as in experience. Going into the season there was a concern about filling in vacant spots by kids who have never played much. I still have that concern although it seems that the ones that are playing are performing reasonably well. I would also point out that we have a lot of dbs and linebackers on the roster who are freshman and sophmores who are talented and will eventually contribute but they aren't playing now because competitively they aren't there yet in terms of understanding schemes and playing the game at the level we need them to be (and some are playing simply because of injuries and we need warm bodies). Numbers of players (or even raw talent) don't add playing depth.
As for experience, that comes from first being physically able to perform (gaining/losing weight, getting stronger/faster) but more importantly performing in practice, second in exhibiting an understanding of the schemes in game type situations, and 3rd waiting for your chance play when others above you on the depth chart can't or aren't performing. That's why great programs like Furman and others redshirt freshman. Just because a freshman doesn't redshirt (at Wofford we typically don't redshirt many) doesn't automatically mean he is ready and able to play. I trust our coaches implicitly to make those decisions and we can't sit on the outside and question them.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football