Chances against Coastal

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Chances against Coastal

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:13 am

What do you guys think of our chances against Coastal. I've been visiting their board and smacking around a bit on it, but seriously, I'm expecting their best effort now that I think about it. I still believe we've got a scheme that well frustrate the athletes that they have because they've never seen anything like it before, and their discipline on the corners is suspect. But they do have athletes-let's talk it up!!
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Cub on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:36 am

I wonder what impact Drew Watson being on the Chants staff will have? He was around long enough to learn the system. The question is whether Coastal's players can learn enough in a week, and be disciplined enough to defend the wingbone.
Cub
Junior Terrier

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:38 am

you also assume we will be using the wingbone to a great extent. Last week showed me the offense is certainly flexible enough-- with all the passing. I'll be curious how much will be flex and how much will be bone :)
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Carolina Girl on Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:39 am

Our corners are pretty disciplined. We had one suspect interference call last week toward the end of the game (I think it was on our safety) and very few calls at all on the entire secondary last season. They gave up a couple of long passes last week but that entire game was full of mistakes from beginning to end on offense and defense. I can't say that we will win but I truly believe that our effort will be a lot better this week than the pitiful showing against Elon.
I hear your defense is all banged up this week. How's your depth on those positions (corner, DE, etc.)?
Carolina Girl

Postby Carolina Girl on Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:55 am

Aren't y'all fired up about the game tomorrow??? You started a thread to discuss the game and no one wants to talk about it.......???? :cry:
Well, I guess you can just keep coming over to coastalfans to talk your smack..... :roll:
Carolina Girl

Postby fgs44 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:37 am

Yep, we are fired up about the game---I travel about 1000 miles for each home game, one way, so you might say I've got an interest.(Some might say an obsession). However, there's not much that we can say, or do that will influence what goes on the field. That will be up to the players from Wofford and Coastal---However, for the record here is my take----I expect Wofford to put up good numbers running the ball---Unless Drew Watson has done an outstanding job educating the Coastal players and staff on how to defense the Wofford offensive schemes, I expect Wofford to put up around three hundred yards rushing. Based on reports that have come out of camp, and last weeks game, I also expect us to continue to show improved numbers in the passing game. So, I am expecting Wofford to be explosive offensively this week. If we can demonstrate that last weeks second half defensive effort was not an aberration, with all the injuries to some key guys, then we should be ok. However, I don't know that much about Coastals offense. Coastal has obviously accomplished a lot in a very short time. That is a credit to your staff, players, and supporters. I am looking forward to a great game. A win for us would set the stage for a very good season in a tough conference. A win for Coastal would go a long way for continued respect, play-off hopes, and what some say is Coastal's desire to eventually gain admission to the Southern conference. We shall see Saturday night----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:24 am

Should be a good game. I wasn't overly surprised at Elon winning last week since they played Coastal close last year (IMO, subtract Hamilton and add Lembo equals improved Elon by default).
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:30 am

Carolina Girl wrote:Aren't y'all fired up about the game tomorrow??? You started a thread to discuss the game and no one wants to talk about it.......???? :cry:
Well, I guess you can just keep coming over to coastalfans to talk your smack..... :roll:

I know we have a few over on coastalfans talking smack, but smack never has been my thing. I prefer to enjoy the game without the derisive comments. That's just me.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Carolina Girl on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am

No need for smack talk. I don't think we are in any position to smack anyone but ourselves (literally :wink: ) I just want to see how y'all feel about this game tomorrow. "The Boss" is over on coastalfans talking but it isn't anything bad for the most part...just talk. Getting everyone fired up on both sides. I really want to make the trip tomorrow. I have a ticket waiting for me there but circumstances may prevent me from getting there.
Dude....you drive 1000 miles to each home game?? :shock: Now that's dedication! I get bored just driving to work every day!!
Carolina Girl

B

Postby Puppyfan on Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:31 pm

My guess is flying not driving.

Coastal is gonna be tough and ready. I think our QB's are going to really step it up. Has there been much rotation at the other positions, are we getting the young guys ready for conference play yet? Is Layton gonna be back for this game or are they gonna wait to toss him in? How did the O-line look last game. On the radio it's hard to tell what happening there.
Sounded like the d-line figured out how to play without Katon!
Puppyfan

Postby fgs44 on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:09 pm

Frquent flyer miles and a great non-stop flight schedule between Houston and Greenville/Spartanburg
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Carolina Girl on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:41 pm

fgs44 wrote:Frquent flyer miles and a great non-stop flight schedule between Houston and Greenville/Spartanburg

nice...... 8)
Carolina Girl

Return to Football