1AA Play of the week - at Furman

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

1AA Play of the week - at Furman

Postby gofurman on Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:17 am

Not rubbing it in in any way - you guys had a GREAT WIN - and you see me post over here enough to know I pull for you in most games. Just proud of my Paladins and thought it cool that Dougherty said this was 1aa play of the week :

Play of the Week: There were plenty of plays that decided crucial games, from Swinton’s blocked kick to Drone’s inability to score on a two-point conversion. But the play that might end up having the great playoff implications for both teams involved came in the Jacksonville State/Furman game. Furman freshman quarterback Jordan Sorrells, in relief of starter Renaldo Gray, threw a 19-yard scoring strike to Brantley Kendall with 28 seconds remaining to lift the Paladins to a hard-fought, 17-13, victory over a very game Jacksonville State team. The Gamecocks had just taken a 13-10 lead on the previous possession, and have to deal with a final-second loss against Furman to start the season for the second year in a row.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:36 am

I was there. FU was lucky lucky lucky to get out with a "W". Defense played well but the offense couldn't run wide and didn't look sharp throwing the ball at all. JSU played you dead even. I don't know why Lamb and the crew don't run Felton every play. They do the defense a favor by trying to throw the ball.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:04 am

I watched it on tv. I agree completely with the assessment by Ruckus.

It's just one game though.

Also, Crowe is an idiot for short kicking at the end... it's not like Furman had been doing anything special returning the football up to that point.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:12 am

Living here and having too many FU ties to list, I know FU football as well as Wofford almost. It's amazing to me that FU just doesn't line up and run it down your throat. They've got the horses and athletes to do it. It's almost like they've got a split personality; or maybe it's a curse of having too many good athletes to do one thing really well, so they get themselves into 3rd and long situations and here comes the defense pinning their ears back. Their defense looked good though although JSU ran it on them pretty effectively early in that game. In FU's defense, JSU was BIG and fast on both sides of the ball.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19 pm

In our defense, we are trying to be an option team this year but grey is gimpy so we couldn't run it. Lamb said he wants to run option 15 times a game on average and we ran it ONCE. Shows you how gimpy Grey must have been. Second, under lastr years rules we pull away from JSU in my opinion as we are deeper - these new clock rules SUCK...the teams ran a combined 40 less plays than last year. Lastly, JSU is a v good team with a vv good D.
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:56 pm

A very good team that is not ranked and wasn't last year if I recall correctly. One would think that the fifth ranked team in the country would wipe out a totally unranked team. Unfinished business indeed. As for Gray, he looked fine to me until he started cramping. Better think twice about JSU getting the ball one more time as the Paladins were lucky to have scored last.
I'll put it this way: watching the mighty Paladins Saturday gave me a glimmer of hope for the 30th.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:37 pm

Ruckus wrote:A very good team that is not ranked and wasn't last year if I recall correctly. One would think that the fifth ranked team in the country would wipe out a totally unranked team. Unfinished business indeed. As for Gray, he looked fine to me until he started cramping. Better think twice about JSU getting the ball one more time as the Paladins were lucky to have scored last.
I'll put it this way: watching the mighty Paladins Saturday gave me a glimmer of hope for the 30th.

- Seriously, we won on the last play against jsu last year....and then barely lost to app in the SEMIS with that team....
This year we played 13 rs fr or fr in the game....lost one of two sr's on the oline on the 23rd play of the game and at times had 4 rs-fr on the oline with a new backup qb having to come into the game behind these fr...i think JSU is a legit top 25-type team (very hard-nosed and fast particularly on D) ....their DBs are probably second to none - all all-conf and a transfer that started for the undefeated auburn team.....and these durn new clock rules help them by cutting 40 plays from the game - i could tell we had more depth but these clock rules mitigate that....anyway, good luck this weekend with coastal and you should have 'hope' about our game....after this weekend you will be top 25 too!
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football