Wofford to play Charleston Southern starting 2007?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Wofford to play Charleston Southern starting 2007?

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:13 am

4 game series starting next year. I hope it's a 3 for 1.

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPag ... =8/30/2006

During Tuesday's Big South coaches' conference call, a reporter asked Mills when CSU would upgrade its schedule.

The answer - soon. Mills said Charleston Southern will begin a four-game series with Wofford of the Southern Conference starting next year. And he said the school has a contract to play "a Division I-A major college" in the future. Neither Mills nor athletic director Hank Small will confirm it, but rumor is the deal is with Florida for a game at The Swamp in 2009.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:36 am

But, so much for us upgrading ours. Although this year's schedule is plenty strong, we need to start playing perennial D-1AA powers to gain some much needed respect come playoff time.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby WoCo32 on Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:49 pm

That is a bad decision from the administration to schedule a 4 year commitment with Charleston Southern. When I played, we played them the first two years and we would have been better off playing against PC or Catawba. They need to look into playing some teams from the Gateway or A-10 to up the toughness of the out-of-conference games.
WoCo32

Postby walliver on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:16 pm

I wonder if we will ever play an OOC game out of South Carolina in the future (Gardner-Webb is too close to consider out-of-state). I agree that this is a big step backward, especially a FOUR YEAR commitment. We should at least try to schedule Samford or Jax State.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:21 pm

walliver wrote:I wonder if we will ever play an OOC game out of South Carolina in the future (Gardner-Webb is too close to consider out-of-state). I agree that this is a big step backward, especially a FOUR YEAR commitment. We should at least try to schedule Samford or Jax State.

Yeah, like those cool Paladins - JK, please beat SC State this week for a good SoCon showing and we will try and hold off Jax State ! Both games could be close. SC State is a quality opponent.
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:05 am

As I have said on this board in the past, I would love to see W and M, Univ. Richmond, or other A10 or Patriot conference opponents.
Hey FU-boy, nobody wants to beat SCS more than we do, believe me. Ideally, we'd LOVE to be 2-1 when ya'll come over to Sparkle City on the 30th (but we could just as easily be 0-3).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:24 am

walliver wrote:I wonder if we will ever play an OOC game out of South Carolina in the future (Gardner-Webb is too close to consider out-of-state). I agree that this is a big step backward, especially a FOUR YEAR commitment. We should at least try to schedule Samford or Jax State.

I agree that CSU is not a "sexy" opponent, but let's face it. We play on heckuva schedule with our conference opponents. Playing Out of Conference teams like CSU doesn't hurt that bad. Actually let's look at the GPI (Similar to the BCS) rankings last year:

Wofford 39
Charleston Southern 79
Samford 71
Elon 74

There are 120 teams in I-AA, so we could play worse. The thing about playing a I-AA powerhouse is that it's a no win situation. The risk is greater than the reward.

Assume that we go 8-3 this year with losses to USC and two SoCon schools. We'll still get in the playoffs even playing a team like CSU or Gardner-Webb.
If we played Delaware or W&M or another power school and won we'd still be 8-3 and it really wouldn't make a difference. But if we lost to them we're 7-4 and have no chance for the playoffs.
I as much as anyone would love to see these matchups, but the risk is much greater than the reward. CSU gives us a better chance at 8-3 or 9-2 than delaware does. And that assumes we win. I remember 2002 when we beat App and GSU on the road, went 9-3 and didn't make the playoffs becuase we lost to VMI. You still have to play the game.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby WoCo32 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:25 am

In no way does an 8-3 record guarantee playoffs. I know that for a fact. CSU is a bad choice because of the commitment. Playing Coastal would be much more advantageous as an OOC in-state opponent.
WoCo32

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:43 am

WoCo32 wrote:In no way does an 8-3 record guarantee playoffs. I know that for a fact. CSU is a bad choice because of the commitment. Playing Coastal would be much more advantageous as an OOC in-state opponent.

you are correct, 8-3 is not a guarantee for the playoffs, beating a top ranked I-AA is nice, but it won't help come playoff time near as much as it hurts your chances if you lost. Fact is, within 4 years Coastal will ba a SoCon school so they wouldn't be an option for OOC schedule. Look at who they play:

Wofford
Georgia Southern
Furman
Elon
App State last year

they are defintely setting the stage, although I don't really want them in our conference-but that's another story
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby WoCo32 on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:15 am

I know for a fact that the conference does not want them in it either due to their academics. I know GSU, ASU, UTC, and WCU aren't that strong academically either but they are much better than Coastal. It seems logical geographically for them to be in the SoCon but we would be better off without them. If they wanted to get some "new" schools in the conference they should look north to Virginia for Richmond and/or William and Mary. They would add so much to the conference.
WoCo32

Postby Ruckus on Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:49 pm

I couldn't agree more. The word is David Shi (Pres. at FU) and the president of Davidson have drawn the line and said "no way, no how" to CCU.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football