FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Matt Picks ASU

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:59 pm

Matt Dougherty
"No. 16 Appalachian State (4-2) at Wofford (4-2), 12:00

Despite the No. 16 ranking, Appalachian State is playing as well as just about anybody in the country through the first six games. The Mountaineers lost at Kansas and by a field goal to No. 2 Furman, and own convincing wins against Coastal Carolina and Georgia Southern and a road victory at Eastern Kentucky. The loss to Furman, however, does put the Mountaineers in a need-to-win spot in the rest of their I-AA games with LSU still remaining on the schedule. The Mountaineers and Wofford are both 2-1 in the Southern Conference, so this game is obviously critical for both teams. Appalachian State is beginning to transform into a running team. Kevin Richardson has 576 yards rushing and seven touchdowns, and even quarterback Richie Williams has 485 yards on the ground. More importantly, especially against Wofford, is the improving run defense. Appalachian State held Georgia Southern to around 4.0 yards per carry, and Wofford has a similar attack. The Mountaineers should win with another solid performance on defense, and the balanced offense will keep Wofford on its heels. Prediction: Appalachian State 27, Wofford 17"
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:14 am

I am accustomed to his "love" for Wofford--- he also picked GSU this year against us. With the parity in the league this year, anything is possible.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Roscoe Bonsweeney on Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:17 pm

Tex, am so glad to see that you have an image.
Roscoe Bonsweeney

Postby terrierbob on Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:09 am

Tex wrote:Tom, that may be true.

Most football writers are slow learners. They're bright, sure, but they are considering what they've experienced over many years. It will take Wofford many years of winning records to get their attention. (And you should make a careful judgment about considering Coulson or Ralph to be experts. Always look at the motive.)

More importantly, Wofford and Furman are severely diminished by obvious market forces. We're simply too small to attract the audience writers and advertisers require. Wofford has what, eight to ten alumi? Furman has thirteen alums, and one of them isn't feeling well. Big state schools like Appalachian have more alums than there people on the planet. Who would you market to?

Anywho, I've got to go to the airport and catch a flight to the Glitterville-Sparklebury Airport. Lookin' forward to having a Phat Dog down in Powdersville. Oh, and I'm really drunk right now.

What's ASU student pop.?
terrierbob

Postby Forth on Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:08 pm

We're at aprrox. 15,000 undergrad
Forth

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:35 pm

Forth wrote:We're at aprrox. 15,000 undergrad

Is there ever anymore discussion about App going I-A? I've heard discussions off and on in the past about some App fans wanting to upgrade their stadium and move up. Anyone think it will ever happen?
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Forth on Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:04 pm

There's always talk about it, it just depends on who's talking. Most fans want us at 1-a and there have been a lot of enhancements lately with the new administration. They know what we want, I think it's just a matter of time before we hear what their intentions are.
Forth

Postby Wonderdog on Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:56 pm

One of the problems with App going D1 is that they may have to move the stadium off campus, which the administration believes would be unfair to the students and would take away from the game day atmosphere.
Wonderdog

Return to Football