FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

SoCon Coaches Grades from Southern Pigskin

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:06 pm

Southern Pigskin grades the SoCon coaches based on 2005:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/page.cfm ... exclusives

Mike Ayers, Wofford
2005 in Review – The Terriers gained some early season momentum in week three by knocking off perennial power Georgia Southern.. That rally was tossed the very next week when Chattanooga rolled to a 25-13 win against the visiting Wofford squad. The rest of the way went pretty much by the book as wins were notched against Elon, VMI, The Citadel, and Garner-Webb., while dropping contests to Appalachian State, Furman, and Western Carolina. Losing to the Catamounts in early November would cost the Terriers a shot at a 7-win season. Adding insult to that injury was the 24-0 shutout tossed upon them by the Catamounts. After piling up more wins than any other conference team from 2002-2004, this season seemed like a small step back.
Hot Seat? – After 18 years of prowling the sidelines in Spartanburg, Ayers is well entrenched in his position. Ayers has the Terriers more than competitive in the Southern Conference, and for a school with less than 1,200 students, is coaching well above his resources.
Year-End Grade…(C-)
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:33 pm

Best "C-" coach I've ever seen- especially given the limitations with which he coaches.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:23 am

Interesting observations, but I don't think it really takes into account the seasons results compared to reasonable pre-season expectations of this team.

Maybe a C- relative to expectations at the end of last season, but I'll take 6-5 any day considering the young OL, new QB, loss of KJ, and a rash of injuries. Plus, let's not forget that Western and Chattanooga were both much improved squads all around.

I don't want to make excuses based off this (because this guys opinion and $0.50 will buy you a Coke), but while last season didn't go quite the way we T-Dog fans would have liked, I don't think I'd give Coach Ayers a C-. Maybe a B- based off the inconsistency on offense, but definately not a C-.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:55 am

come on guys, you know the standards and grading at Wofford are tougher than at many colleges...maybe that extends to football as well. :D :D :)
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:18 am

As a loyal Wofford fan who has suffered through numerous mediocre years, I was disappointed to suffer through another yet again this year. However, given the issues we had to deal with related to injuries, It was understandable. Inconsistencies on offense were hard to swallow. The defense was hard to understand as well. How can you be up 41-7 on a team like Gardner Webb in the third quarter and give up 35 unanswered points to give them a lead? Almost the gratest comback in NCAA history!

That said, it appears as though the talent should be returning to the field in 06 and we should be competitive again, but a tougher schedule may not allow us that many more wins. Look at the teams we're up against and their record last year: Coastal (9-2), SC State (9-2), USC (7-5), Furman (11-3), Georgia Southern (8-4), App State (12-3 National Champs), Chattanooga (6-5), Western (5-4). Elon Has a nationally recognized coach that will have them playing much better also. We have to travel to Boone, Statesboro, Orangeburg?, Burlington, Columbia-Hopefully the coaching staff will have them ready to go-
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby gofurman on Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:54 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:Interesting observations, but I don't think it really takes into account the seasons results compared to reasonable pre-season expectations of this team.

Maybe a C- relative to expectations at the end of last season, but I'll take 6-5 any day considering the young OL, new QB, loss of KJ, and a rash of injuries. Plus, let's not forget that Western and Chattanooga were both much improved squads all around.

I don't want to make excuses based off this (because this guys opinion and $0.50 will buy you a Coke), but while last season didn't go quite the way we T-Dog fans would have liked, I don't think I'd give Coach Ayers a C-. Maybe a B- based off the inconsistency on offense, but definately not a C-.

from a furman fan - your coach is at least a B+...C- is way too harsh
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football