Game 5: ETSU

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Game 5: ETSU

Postby T-Dog 4 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:33 pm

Solid final drive. 92 yards in 15 plays. Just plain wore ETSU down. I hope Joe is ok?
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:40 pm

Looks like Joe just tweaked an ankle, with a few minutes left. Did not appear to be in too much pain. Need him back 100%.

Mosley played very well in late relief. Nifty keeper for td, to make final 35-17. Joe's first half was magical. The OL played stout almost all day.

ETSU's linemen looked huge.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:42 pm

35-17 convincing win for the Terriers!!!
Need a GREAT bye week and for the TDogs to take the next 2 at home.
Psyched that we can pull this off; however, 1 game at a time.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:42 pm

A good win, should be a good feeling going into the bye.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:44 pm

Agree Bubba.

By and large, I thought our defense had a solid game. DLs and LBs synergized nicely.

Newman played with such intuition - did not seem to overthink things. Did what he does. No doubt he was exhausted in the fourth quarter.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm

https://woffordterriers.com/news/2019/1 ... 35-17.aspx Story and stats. Too many penalties, 8.

Our coaches deserve a lot of credit. They had our guys prepared and motivated.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:04 am

They key is that we're telling Joe to play fast. Don't spend too much time reading. Just attack.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:09 am

The SHD’s we have seen the last three games are the real deal, and wholly different from the first two games. There is a purpose. There is a resolve. There is confidence and a comfort level. There is physicality and execution, and there is no fear. At the same time the defense has gained skill and confidence. There is better depth and experience all around. There is awareness, coordination and buy-in from the coaching staff. It must be this way if we we are to have another successful playoff team, because our strongest opponents too are improving. Let them Hogs - and Dogs - eat!

It has been a treat to see defenses, including ETSU’s pretty good one, totally confused, frustrated, and gassed trying to defend our well executed option. We have been, once again, blocking very effectively, especially on the edge; that can be demoralizing to defenders. It must continue.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:41 pm

At this point, I'm probably a broken record. We are playing great football right now, but we aren't just an option team. We are running it however the heck we want. We are playing fast.

Yes, there is plenty of option that we are running, but we are getting better running under center. Lovelace has a pretty sick stiff arm and he was hard to tackle. We've found another gem (officially) in Jacquez Allen. He's so fast.

I've said it a few times, but we have a lot of talent at the skill positions, but we wouldn't be able to use it like we are now if we ran the flexbone. Yeah, Joe had another great game (more on that in a moment), but what makes an offense that's truly multiple (even if it's run or option centered) hard to beat is the ability to pick your poison. The defense can't key on one player or habituate itself to the same keys (stop the dive man, then the QB, then the pitch man, etc).

If you listen to Urban Meyer when he talks about the spread offense, it's about using one-on-one principles and spacing. It's easy on paper to stop, but executing on defense is much different. In our case, do you stop the jet sweep? Key on Joe? What about the dive? Oh yeah, there's another pitch man. And then suddenly, we're running under center with a running back who is hard to bring down, could cut it up field. It's hard to beat. And even THEN we could still run the option out of the I.

As I said a few weeks ago, the flexbone is dead, which is fine. We've figured out what we like to do when it comes to running the football because we have good skill players and a great OL. This playbook allows us to both use Joe's strengths and, when we have a QB who can pass the ball, do that too. Remember what I said about throwing to the tight end? That pass to Landon Parker was a good call even if it was not a great pass. I imagine we are going to do that more and grow.

Bottom line, I don't think we are a semifinal or national title team yet (obviously), but we are getting better and we are going to continue to get better and the seeds are there for us to grow, if not this season than next season. This is one of ETSU's best defenses and we ran over them worse than when they were a bunch of second year players.

Joe Newman so far is having a year comparable to #1 in terms of production. We are getting him to play fast because that's who he is. His talent is his ability to play shifty. Shawn Graves comparisons are appropriate because quite frankly no Wofford QB I have seen is comparable. Turn on the first 2.5 seconds of our first touchdown and he had no business getting positive yards, let alone a touchdown. His ability to cut back and read is very much like a running back and when the coaches tell him to play fast that's what he does.

On defense, there's not as much to say. Our pass rush has taken a step up as our young DL continues to develop (great sack by Lufkin and Prince) and when we use that designated pass rush with the 2-4-5 look. We also stepped up in run support. Yeah, ETSU got some positive yards rushing, but that's going to happen. In aggregate, it was a good game defending the run as they got most of their yards on one possession.

We let some things through on pass defense, but the second pass touchdown was on a miscommunication/confusion in the secondary, it happens. We got bailed out by some drops by them. ETSU has some problems throwing it consistently but their young QB is going to get better. I'm not disappointed in the effort. We forced a turnover and held them to about 270 yards. In today's game of high flying offenses, that's good.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:33 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:26 pm

Now that we hit the bye week, where are all the naysayers?

Everyone wanted to talk trash about the coaching staff about a month, but right now I think we have an excellent chance to make the playoffs.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dog 4 on Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:44 pm

youngterrier wrote:Now that we hit the bye week, where are all the naysayers?

Everyone wanted to talk trash about the coaching staff about a month, but right now I think we have an excellent chance to make the playoffs.

I'm by no means one of the naysayers, but still wonder whether we've really been tested yet? I definitely like the way we are trending on both sides of the ball over the last 3 games. Our conference wins are over VMI & ETSU, neither of whom are real contenders for playoff spots or the conference title. Our only conference loss was to Sammy (who just got blown out by the Furples 58-14 last week), but granted that was when we were still trying to "find ourselves." We should beat WCU next week, but will find out what we are made of with Chatt, Mercer, Furples & Bellhops....purposely omitted the Clemson game.

Go T-Dogs!
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
-Theodore Roosevelt
T-Dog 4
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:55 pm

ETSU had the best total defense in the socon and was among the best in run defense. They gave Furman all they could handle and we scored more in the first half. They also beat Austin Peay, which is looking good right now in the OVC. And we rushed for more yards on them than we probably ever have.

We controlled VMI too, and right now the Keydets are 2-1 in the socon, with an excellent chance to beat most of their remaining opponents, sans Furman. They probably won't win out because they don't understand how to be consistent yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they won at least 2 more games.

The fact is, Western Carolina, Chattanooga and Mercer all have below average rush defenses and offenses that are inconsistent at best. We should win those games. Right now, I'd rather play those 3 than ETSU or VMI again

But my point still remains: we have kind of figured things out. We have gotten better at some of the things we tried in week one that were atrocious (running under center, trap blocks).

We have also found some consistent wrinkles like Luther down the seam when the safety plays up and the jet sweet with VanCleave.

We also have some gems in personnel groupings that help us. Allen might be the fastest player on the field, including Luther. Lovelace is a surprise power back who reads the defense and cuts effectively on those zone handoffs under center. Morgan is a great running back to either take a pitch or dish out a lead block on a load option. We have the textbook definition of a stable of running backs, each with their own skillset.

You wouldn't figure any of the above out if we reverted back to last year's offense, which was mostly just triple option out of the gun (check the highlights). Yes, we still run lots of option, but we do a lot more load option, veer option, and jet sweep, which require different adjustments by the defense. You can't defend it with rote repetition and gap soundness. We use tight ends and we tell Joe to play fast, minimizing the reads he has to make and that makes it worse

Basically, on a lot of plays we are diverting what in prior years would have been the pitch guy or dive guy as a blocker so we can run downhill. A lot of these plays are run by SEC schools like Bama and Auburn and Florida.

It's a smart play, because it will allow us to install more wrinkles, like throwing it to the tight end as we saw this past week. When a future transition to an offense that passes like 15-20 times a game comes in, it's not going to be as rough because we will know who our weapons are and what works without having to hunt and peck.

The problem against SC State was the pass calls, no doubt, but our OL missed some blocks in the first half on these new run schemes. Our OL last year and in years prior didn't use the tight ends pulling (or them pulling, for that matter) that much and it was something that was going to get better with repetition. And then we threw 3 bad picks.

SC State was the perfect storm of bad playcalling on new pass plays, bad execution on new run plays, and untimely turnovers.

What's holding us back right now is a viable pass game, as it always has. No doubt in my mind, if we had one against Samford, we probably win. I also think we win if we have the 2-4-5 package that we installed afterwards and not overcompensate for the Samford pass game.

My point in all this isn't just the X's and O's but I am generally curious why people whined so hard for 2-3 weeks and now they are silent. We are a lot closer to the team that Conklin wants us to look like than the one Ayers wanted right now. A lot of people don't see that. They just see the rushing stats and Joe Newman running all over the field and think we are back to who we were last year. We aren't. Joe Newman could always run like this, but the "play fast" mentality was slightly antithetical to an option offense, which has at least two reads every play.

Instead we are playing more downhill running football. It's practically a double option, not a triple. And it's accumulated over 400 yards for three straight games for the first time since since 2015. We wouldn't be doing this if we were stuck in our TO ways. Coaches get credit full credit but they won't.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:42 pm

Good points, but I do not get that we are more like the team Conklin wanted than Ayers wanted. That does not seem to me to be the question. As opposed to the team that played SCSU and Sammy, we are now more assertive, confident, and aggressive. Our guys have a new message: get after ‘em. Let our Dogs EAT. All feed off of that. Newman loves it and Heaven knows the deep and experienced OL loves it, and so does the D. Sure we have tweaks - hopefully always will, but this is more about attitude, less about blackboard. Use our depth. And our passing game is about where it needs to be: just when you think we can’t or won’t pass it, gotcha.

I sort of wish we did not have this bye week, so we could keep our edge. Practice, practice, practice ... stay sharp.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:25 am

I only bring up "where are the naysayers," because the more I look at our schedule and how things went down and how our coaches have adjusted (or even overadjusted, for the Samford game), that our first two games were just the perfect storm (SC State is actually good, Samford has our number).

The coaches aren't idiots and I think I was too critical, but I was one of the more tame ones, relatively speaking. In our litigious world, we like to assign blame all-too-quickly and we forget that these are kids playing this game and these are humans coaching it.

But sometimes in life you can accurately attribute responsibility and at the same time it be no one's fault. We tried something different, got too zealous, had too much confidence in Joe's passing, then not nearly enough. Given the information available to the coaches at the time and what they want to do long term (develop a viable passing game to get deeper in the playoffs), I honestly don't know what I would have done differently in the first two games other than not pass as much in the first half.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football