2019 Football Season

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2019 Football Season

Postby lawdog on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:04 pm

With the first game closer than we think (August 31, against a S.C. State team that was 5-6 last year, but finished strong), it is time to focus on this season. https://woffordterriers.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Any observations or concerns on your mind?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: 2019 Football Season

Postby youngterrier on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 pm

I think we have the best chance of any in the Socon to at least make the playoffs, based on prior performance, who we have back, and a favorable schedule.

I don't see us losing to SC State, Gardner Webb, or VMI, and I don't see us winning less than 4 conference games. It's not overconfidence, it's just looking at our prior performances With the exception of the injury-riddled 2009 year, I don't think we've lost more than 4 games in conference since like 2001.

I think we benefit from having Samford relatively early and a bye to prep. Having them + Furman at home and playing a game in Charleston in November as opposed to September is probably favorable as well.

If we are better than last year (who knows how that will turn out?) We will be sitting at 9-2/10-1. If we regress, probably 6-5/7-4. I think we're a solid bubble team at 7-4. I think we'll be 8-3/9-2. The only question mark I think is the secondary, but only because of depth. We have some good players coming back, but that's the only position where we lost a lot of good ones.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

The SoCon over the past few years - or maybe more like 6 - has become more competitive and for the most part each year has been down to the wire. Like YT said we should have as good a chance as anybody of winning the title. Every year all teams loose players as we did but our losses were minimal. Some are negated by a returning player such as Nathan Walker vs Andre Stoddard. Stoddard was great but Walker is not far behind. I think our biggest weakness is our defensive backs as we lost several big time players. Replacing them will be difficult although the returning players are definitely talented and capable. just not experienced except for Gbesee and Alstatt. However our losses are still less than usual IMHO so we should be in great shape.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:01 pm

I don't know how good the other teams are going to be, but I do think we will be better. So, with that in mind, my prediction is an undefeated season in FCS football. There you have it. Now all we have to do is play the games. :D :lol:
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:44 pm

Now that he has had a lot of experience with the system, I look for Joe Newman to have a great year. He should be more comfortable with his reads and with making the big play himself, which he did not do as much of last year. He can be a game changer at any time. Having Mosely and Weirick there is a plus as well.
Last edited by lawdog on Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:29 pm

ld i could not agree with you more. Newman was a favorite of mine since the beginning and that has not changed. Remember last year he threw two INTs in the Cit game and that nearly lost it. But instead of letting it get to him and spiral down hill, he improved and played better the rest of the season. Granted there were bad plays on his part but overall he played well. With the last three years under his belt and only one left I have the feeling he will come out smoking big time and not let up. But if he needs a breather we do have Mosley and Weirick. Derrick will likely not be a factor IMHO since this is is his first year but I could be wrong.

As a side note I have been pondering this question. Which of the incoming FR group will play significant roles this year ? No doubt a lot of them will play but which ones will play a lot (like Vancleave and Luther did last year) and not just a play here and there ? And that will likely depend as much on the need at each position as the skill of each player. I will pick as FR newcomers to be Harrington and Hazel at CB, Mason at DE (but he might be red shirted since he weights 230 and needs some muscle), Mulligan at HB/FB, Khayo at WR/HB and Sanders at WR. Tough to choose which FR players because there are factors that we do not know - which ones will have the most determination and desire to get on the field. Exciting to think about !!!

Two other questions. 1. Who do you think will have a break out year this fall ? And it could be someone like Nathan Walker who played a lot last year but still was a backup to Stoddard. And it could also be a new FR. 2. Would anyone be interested in guessing/predicting the two deep ? It would be fun/interesting and we are in a lull/nothing happening period.
GO TERRIERS !!!!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:07 pm

https://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx ... =319&path=
Of the true freshmen, I think Mulligan at RB is the most likely to help early, with his talent, good size, and versatility. Others will be of help, but at DB for instance I think we have talented upperclassmen who should fill the slots left by graduation.

As mentioned above, I look for Newman to really step it up. Also on the offense, I look for seniors Morgan and Karas, both senior WRs, and the entire OLine to provide the type of leadership that we have had on our best teams. Similarly, on defense Alstatt, Gbessee, the Wilsons at LB, Armstrong, Horton and Mangum will provide senior leadership and experience necessary to provide guidance to a talented group of underclassmen, including Titus, Prince and Ball. Talent and depth are there. Wofford’s best success generally results from both sides of the ball playing with confidence, experience, and a strong work/ persistence ethic, and not so much one or two breaking out; we are loaded on both sides with experienced leadership and that bodes very well for us.

That said, Van Cleave, Abercrombie, Anderson, Beckley, Brown, Redwood, Neal, Lovelace, Moore and Lufkin are ten whom I expect to hear more from ... all talented. Luther, after a great freshman year, will undoubtedly make some big plays for us. We have a host of talented LBs, WRs, and DBs as well who will answer the bell in a bigger way. Surely Walker will be a special player.

Picking a two deep, even after fall practice, is going to be hard. There are very few “place holders” on this entire roster. The academic accomplishments of this group also certainly deserve at least a mention.

The SC State game will tell us a lot. As usual, they are big, talented and well coached, and will really want to beat us at their place; that is always a smash mouth physical game.
Last edited by lawdog on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:33 am

When does official practice start? Has to be soon...
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:51 am

Practice begins on Friday, August 2.

https://woffordterriers.com/news/2019/6 ... h=football

SoCon Media Day is tomorrow. It will be shown on SoCon digital network live and will be archived there too. Terriers are on at 2:35 pm
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:14 pm

The Media Guide is here. The two deep is interesting and IMHO has some surprises.

https://issuu.com/woffordathletics/docs ... full_small
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Always interesting -- thanks RT. The two deep on p. 23 is particularly of note; no doubt that will shuffle around some as competition heats up in August, before the first game.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:17 am

I am surprised to see two freshmen listed on the two deep; not that they won't make it, but that they are listed before pre-season; were they early enrollees?
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:14 pm

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby CarolinaDog on Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Coach Conklin has me fired up for the season! He has done a tremendous job reaching out to past players and keeping them updated and involved. His letters to the past team members discuss the mentality of the team and the message to the team post media day. Some very interesting insights into the offense for 2019 as well.

Hopefully some of you guys received the same note from coach. I think it is a great tool to keep terriers from the past involved. I strongly believe we are about to see some special things out of this team this season.
"Well done is better than well said." ~Benjamin Franklin
CarolinaDog
Junior Terrier

Postby youngterrier on Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:04 pm

If I could summarize this team in one word it would be "veteran."

Glancing at the two deep, there are about 15 or 16 seniors and only 13 freshmen/sophomores. That may catch up to us next year, but for this year, I think that's a good omen.

The senior class is 6 wins away from tying the school record for wins. They already have the most playoff wins. I think the offense is going to be something to special. We had a great year last year and we bring back pretty much everyone.

I think we will be in an excellent position to win the socon championship this year. We have more continuity this year and we were pretty stout last year too.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football