Mercer

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Mercer

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:42 pm

I am listening to the coaches radio show as I type. JC when asked about Morgan and Carter said that nothing had been decided about either one. Both need to be evaluated first and when the results come in then they will make a decision as to whether they will play. So even though they are on the two deep that does not mean they are back to normal without any injuries. Go Terriers !!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:13 pm

Somehow I missed the injuries on both. When, how, were they hurt. I saw the next kick when there was roughing. Did that happen to Carter. High ankle sprain is bad on one who has to cut and move. Not sure how it affects a kicker.
Still concerned on some situations when it appears that the play caller and one responsible for personnel on the field are totally out of contact. In addition to the debacle on our own goal line, It seemed like for the pooch punt we had the wrong guy doing the work. Just hard to believe that we aren't more aware of who is there to do the job. Somewhere in the recess of my brittle brain it seems that this has gone on for years with our offense.
The defense seemed to improve dramatically from the previous week, when we seemed to be in sets and situations that kept us at a disadvantage.
If we are without our place kicker and punter we had better get it together with backups.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Henis will kick Saturday more than likely... He already handles kickoffs for us... Riddle is out for Mercer ( the more mobile QB)... The kid they are playing is a pocket guy with not as much athletic ability... Their D is a question mark... Giving up huge amounts of points.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:09 pm

SmallTownTerrier wrote:Henis will kick Saturday more than likely... He already handles kickoffs for us... Riddle is out for Mercer ( the more mobile QB)... The kid they are playing is a pocket guy with not as much athletic ability... Their D is a question mark... Giving up huge amounts of points.

You're getting your players confused: Riddle was more of a pocket passer while Riley is more of a balanced passer/runner.

Riley was the QB that played us last year. Both are athletic.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Riley and Riddle are both good QBs but Riddle is more mobile. I have not watched enough of their games to determine if he is a pocket passer. But unless I am sadly mistaken he is much more mobile than Riley. Riley is bigger - the same height but heavier - although Riddle still has good size. IMHO Riddle is the more effective QB because of his mobility. Riddle on the run while being chased makes me a lot more nervous than Riley in the same situation. The Mer Cit game was a heart breaker for Mercer. They led by I think 14 at one point fairly late in the game. Riley is 6'3" and 231 lbs while Riddle is 6'3" and 207 lbs. Go Terriers !!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 pm

I have no idea what film you're showing. Riley is very mobile. Riddle has only rushed the ball 13 times in his college career.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Don’t make me use my water hose to separate you two! :D

I’ve watched all of Mercer’s Football games since 1943, so I think I’m qualified to settle this.

#10 - Robert Riddle - R-FR QB - 6’3/207 - Precision passer who has a lightning quick release. Fearless, perhaps to a fault, about fitting his passes into very tight windows. Not a ‘classic’ dual-threat QB by any means, but very mobile with good quickness and ‘sneaky-fast’ speed. A favorable comparison of his running style would be to Devlin Hodges. Removing sacks, kneel-downs, and such, he has rushed for 90 yards & 3 TD’s on only 14 carries (6.43 ypc) in his brief career. Riddle has only started AND finished 1 game in his career - Mercer’s 30-24 upset of #9 Samford where he threw for 316 yds going 23 for 34 with 1 TD & 1 INT. He also started and split time with Kaelan Riley in Mercer’s romp over Jacksonville. In Mercer’s late-game loss to the Citadel, Riddle started and threw for 347 yds going 25 for 37 with 3 TD’s & 1 INT. He left that game with under :20 to play as he was leading Mercer on a potentially game-tying drive, having moved the Bears 40 yards in 6 plays in just 35 seconds. Noah Dawkins, an LB for The Citadel (y’all remember him, right?) pressured him & Riddle threw the ball away, but Dawkins landed on him breaking Riddle’s collarbone. He has not played since, but I did see him on the sideline Saturday in a jersey with no sling on. This Saturday will be 5 weeks since his injury & I know QB’s from Duke & Troy returned this season from a broken collarbone in only 3 weeks. I don’t know if Riddle is expected to return this season or not.

#1 - Kaelan Riley - R-SO QB - 6’3”/231 - Started all 11 games for Mercer in 2017 & was named SoCon Freshman of the Year. He has now started 15 games as the Bears’ QB. Riley is more in the Cam Newton/Michael Eubank (former Samford QB) mold, physically. He has a longer throwing motion than Riddle and is a ‘long-strider’ as a runner making him deceptively fast in the open field. Riley looks more the part of the ‘classic’ dual-threat QB, but he’s really more of a passer. He ran a lot of Zone/Read in HS and last year, when Mercer was prepared to ‘burn’ Riddle’s redshirt if Riley was injured. With Riddle out, though he could be & has-been an effective runner, Mercer is not interested, at all, in having Riley run the ball as his backup has never taken a snap. In the past, as opposed to Riddle, Riley, though he has a very strong arm, has seemed a bit more cautious about throwing into tight spaces & just letting his passes rip. I can’t explain why, but this seemed to do a complete 180 following a bad turnover under pressure at Yale which resulted in a scoop & score for the Bulldogs. Since that play, he has been playing confident & loose, throwing 6 TD’s in his last 50 (or so) attempts. Hard to explain what happens inside the head a 20 year old...but the light seemed to come on for him up in New Haven.

All you probably needed or wanted to know about Mercer’s QB’s...and MORE, I’m sure. :twisted:
Last edited by FUBeAR5467 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby lawdog on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 am

Good summary. Both look pretty good to me ... better be ready.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby SmallTownTerrier on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:39 am

Haley projection for Nov 18 has us at Delaware, with ETSU hosting Elon, thus meaning ETSU is higher seed... He is a complete clown... I like our schedule... I like the fact Sammy as road games at Citadel and ETSU and I like the fact ETSU goes to Mercer... I may tend to agree with MacLaughlin that this SO CON winner will have 2 losses.
SmallTownTerrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby BubbaDog on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:39 pm

boulder3m wrote:Somehow I missed the injuries on both. When, how, were they hurt. I saw the next kick when there was roughing. Did that happen to Carter. High ankle sprain is bad on one who has to cut and move. Not sure how it affects a kicker.
Still concerned on some situations when it appears that the play caller and one responsible for personnel on the field are totally out of contact. In addition to the debacle on our own goal line, It seemed like for the pooch punt we had the wrong guy doing the work. Just hard to believe that we aren't more aware of who is there to do the job. Somewhere in the recess of my brittle brain it seems that this has gone on for years with our offense.
The defense seemed to improve dramatically from the previous week, when we seemed to be in sets and situations that kept us at a disadvantage.
If we are without our place kicker and punter we had better get it together with backups.

Carter was hurt on the punt before the roughing. A lineman was blocked back into him and rolled over his leg.
BubbaDog
2012 Pickem Champ

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:55 pm

Gbesee stepping up. All need to step up Saturday. https://www.goupstate.com/news/20181024 ... th-quarter
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:00 pm

Ayers Field naming Saturday. Lunch on the lawn, no charge. https://woffordterriers.com/news/2018/1 ... ayers.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby FUBeAR5467 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 pm

Ayers Field naming Saturday. Lunch on the lawn, no charge. https://woffordterriers.com/news/2018/1 ... ayers.aspx

Let’s see...Free Lunch & $15 instead of $27 for a game ticket. And there is a category for “Other Individual.” I’m in!

Always tremendously respected Coach Ayers.

How well received do y’all think FUBeAR will be decked out in his gameday Orange & Black?

I suppose topping that ensemble off with a purple <F> cap might cross the line, huh?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he today that sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother.

FUBeAR5467
Junior Terrier

Postby boulder3m on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:20 pm

OK, totally off the topic, but watching the App/Ga Southern game and Jacob Huesman is the QB? Must be a brother of the former QB at Chatty? When I tuned in they are calling him 3rd string, but I remember it was a big deal when he committed to App. Oh, and App getting throttled by GSU. Their record is great and this was the game of the season for them. App finally gets ranked and then gets killed.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:45 pm

Georgia Southern could win 13 games this year.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football