ETSU

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: ETSU

Postby walliver on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:59 am

ETSU's coaches have already watched our last game on ESPN+ and will try to throw to the running back. Hopefully this is being addressed in practice. ETSU doesn't have the run threat that FU does.

The Bucs have yet to impress me, but so far they have found a way to win every conference contest so far. We may have better talent and a better scheme, but it is hard to beat a team that finds a way to win. We were that team last year and need to get that spirit back by Saturday.

In the past, we have struggled in games played the week after a bad loss. We have usually won, but in very close games. I think we win, but the game will be in doubt well into the 4th quarter. (I hope Conchlin and staff surprise me and bounce back with a vengeance instead.)
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 pm

WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Game notes https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/ ... 7_ETSU.pdf

One thing that stands out about the game notes is their defense. ETSU is #1 in the SoCon and #9 nationally in Rush Defense with 89.4 yards allowed. They are #3 in passing yards allowed in the SoCon at 221.3 yards allowed. Second in total defense with 310.7 yards allowed. Third in scoring defense in the SoCon.
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:44 pm

This is going to be a tough one and anyone who thinks otherwise isn't paying attention. I may have already said that in this thread but it bears repeating.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:01 pm

We need to focus and concentrate on what we do well, and then execute. It is going to be a hard-hitting physical challenge, but I really like our chances. We stonewalled their rushing game last year, and must play good overall D this time. Calmly and earnestly take care of business.

They are coming into OUR house.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Just watched the ETSU vs Citadel game. Should be a close game but, if the SHD's can get back to being unpredictable on offense and the defense can find ways to limit ETSU to FG's we should come out on top.

Offense
The Citadel brought plenty of pressure with stunts and delayed blitzes. It was rather effective. Citadel was in the backfield all game long. Only problem was they couldn't wrap up and finish the sacks. There QBs are rather mobile so we would have to have a controlled blitz scheme to help limit the scramble yards. The QB's seem to be 1-2 read option players, which is why they scramble alot. The WR corps is not flashy nor are they speedsters. Hopefully our guys can get the QB to the ground when pressured and not get beat by quick screens.

Defense
ETSU will more than likely go with a 4 man front. Unlike Furman they do not have the depth to rotate big bodies up front. #45 is the stud, and the other 3 are big bodies. ETSU was able to limit Citadels rush, but had to include the safeties. If Coach Lang stays true to form the formations alone will force ETSU to respect the perimeter. Besides the Temple transfer, the LB's are not sideline to sideline backers, but they do fit gaps and scrape.

FG kicker is hands down the best in the conference.
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby Retiredterrier on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:33 pm

Hey Six thanks for your input. So seems like you are saying that their D is decent but not awesome. correct ? Our game notes say that ETSU is #1 in the SoCon on run defense with 89 yards average. The Terriers are #2 unless I am sadly mistaken. So statistically they have performed better than the Terriers. That sounds if not awesome then close to it. Seems like your analysis does not jive with their #1 ranking in the SoCon but I am inclined to go along with your conclusions. Anyway I am a little skeptical of their #1 ranking. Although I am not saying they are not good at all but just saying that those rankings are just rankings and do not tell the whole story. Anyway it should be a hard fought game as well as exciting. Go Terriers !!!
Retiredterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby WocoSix on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:44 am

Retiredterrier, I rarely follow statistics(I leave that up to YT :) ). Most of my personal evaluation comes from the eye test and watching schemes. And looking at the games against teams we have had common opponents, I do not see a ETSU defense that would limit us to under 250 yards rushing. They are big and have some Jimmy's and Joe's but as a unit they lack team speed at certain positions. Furman, had their number and had no problem moving the ball for 3 quarters. But for some reason Furman took their foot off the gas and let ETSU back in the game. Kind of like our Citadel game earlier this year. Of the teams on ETSU schedule, the biggest offensive threats were FU and U Tenn and in both games neither team had trouble finding the endzone. What gives me some positive vibes is seeing how well the Citadel was able to move the ball playing power football. That to say Citadel is what Wofford's offense was 3 years ago and ETSU had to have 8 men on occasions to stop the run . And if packing the box (7 defenders or more between the tackles) is your answer for defending Wofford then we could see a break out game for Lennox, Blake, or Jason Hill. Our formations themselves will prevent ETSU from crowding the line of scrimmage.

But like someone said earlier... the scariest thing about ETSU is that they find ways to win!
WocoSix
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:05 am

I will push back on the evaluation of ETSU's run defense. Though in years prior, they have been very poor and as a program they hadn't won a big game on the road.

Until last week.

They held the Citadel to about 200 yards rushing and less than 4 ypc. They performed much better against Furman than we did. Though they did give up some yards in the air against the citadel, which suggests six's evaluation may have some accuracy (loading the box sets up the pass game), we still should not take them lightly.

I'm impressed by Newman in the pass game. He's surpassed expectations and is on pace to throw more TDs than any QB we have had in a while, already surpassing Goodson last year. Still, I'm not sure if our pass game is good enough (yet) to take pressure off the option on a bad day. It's true that ETSU hasn't stopped any great run offenses yet, but through 7 games they are very much comparable to our own defense (and possibly even better if you look at what they did to Furman and Gardner webb). That in itself should have us wary.

On top of that, Furman exposed our defense and every team left on the conference schedule has the means to replicate that performance, but especially ETSU and Mercer because they run pro set offenses.

This one is going to be tough. On one hand I'm glad we lost last week because it will make us more focused and less overconfident. On another, I'm a little anxious because ETSU will likely surpass our expectations (even if we win) and they have the means to replicate Furman's performance, at least offense. I think Furman's offense beat us more than their defense did, sans a turnover. ETSU's defense is probably better, even if their offense is by all measures a little worse.

I can't reiterate how bad we played against Furman on defense and how the systemic weaknesses and poor executive should make us humble. I only see PC and Western Carolina as "easy wins," here on out because they won't stop our offense. Mercer, ETSU, and Samford all have sufficient offensive potential to score enough to beat us.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 am

I got so fed up with our game at Furman that I switched over to watch the second half of the Cit/ETSU game. Really appreciate the analysis of you guys, and believe this game is winable if we execute. I think we can run on them. However, it is easy to be skeptical of our ability to stop anyone after last week. We will see how our defensive coaches handle the adjustments needed to stop the receivers out of the backfield. We are going to have to chase the QB's and then finish. It could be a Schlobberknocker!
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:04 pm

Hopefully we can avoid giving up the obligatory first drive touchdown. Even VMI drove it down the field their first try.

I wasn't worried when FU drove it down the field the first time, as that seems to happen every week.

We should be able to run on ETSU better than the Citadel did. The Citadel's uni-dimensional offense frequently struggles.

If we play as well as we did against Chatty we win, we play like last week we don't. We will learn a lot about our new coaching staff this week.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:04 pm

walliver wrote: We will learn a lot about our new coaching staff this week.

We will also learn a lot about our team leadership, and character.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby watdog on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:28 pm

El CID had several long passes at least one for a TD. That got the ETSU out of a 9 man front. If we don't loosen their D up they will eat our lunch just like FU
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby watdog on Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:58 pm

As far as our D is concerned we have a great back end but we really miss Horton at nose and we are seeing our youth at OLB. Not acceptable to have the RB plays out of the backfield like that, I bet 3/4 of the board members could have gotten 20 yards per play. We have the athletes to make those plays...scheme did not put them in the right spots. We can play with anybody if the players are put in the right positions and do their job.
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:15 pm

It's a combination of youth and expansion of scheme. Siefkis said our goal is to rotate 25-28 players on defense. My guess is that most of them are linebackers. Contrast that with last year when I'm pretty sure we rotated less than 20 regularly.

On top of that, we lost a lot of depth and experience at OLB (Vining, Morris, etc). The OLBs are now expected to do more than before and now with less experience. So there were going to be growing pains. A lot of the mistakes we made, weren't about scheme, but individual mistakes (biting on a fake we shouldn't)

If all goes well, the Furman game will be a learning experience that ultimately makes us tougher with scheme and mentality. The defense is relatively veteran, but it's only going to get better as those players mature and get incorporated into the new scheme.
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Football