Take down this week's IWF and try again, please!

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017, 2018
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017. 2018
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Oak Grove on Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:56 pm

The 2018 Citadel episode is an institutional embarrassment. I understand about the extensive audio difficulties, which leaves us without the calls or the analysis from the booth. But what explains the atrocious camera work and the meager highlights? Three and a half minutes of game footage, compared to more than fifteen for last year's Citadel game??? I know that there is a complete, higher-quality video feed of the game because I DVRed the Channel 62 broadcast. Can't we use that video for the clips?

Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Re: Take down this week's IWF and try again, please!

Postby fgs44 on Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:41 pm

For those that perhaps have not heard the Josh Conklin Show, I would recommend you listen to the replay--Its on Woffordterriers.com/radio--I think it gives some good insight into Coach Conklin, and how he approaches things--Think it will be something to look forward to every week--
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:19 pm

For anyone who would like to see more than the tiny scraps we got from IWF, here is the Citadel game in its entirety as it appeared on Channel 62.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2XpudN9LY4
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 am

Still no IWF this week?? Wonder if there are some copyright issues with ESPN+.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:04 pm

IWF for VMI is now up on youtube. Very weird not hearing Hauser's voice but better highlights from this one compared to Week 1.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:07 am

Very glad to see that IWF is back in good form for the VMI game!
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby Oak Grove on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:03 am

The bye week comes at a good time for IWF too. The quality of the programs has been very inconsistent this season, with a lot more bad than good.

With the Wyoming episode, we crossed into new territory--using the call from the opposing team's announcers for our highlights. Was this some kind of copyright issue? You can take your pick for the most awkward moments. How about when Wes Rountree makes an interception, and the play-by-play guys says, "Oh, no. That's terrible"? Or how about when the announcers are poking fun at Luke Carter for wearing glasses? The call of Wyoming's game-winning touchdown seems inappropriately exuberant for the Wofford highlight package too. Of course, there also is Jim Noble talking to the camera person and counting down prior to beginning the interview with Coach Conklin. Why was that part not edited out? Such sloppy work. Amateurish.

Posting the shows three or four days after the game is another matter that I could overlook if they were of consistently high quality. For years after switching to the YouTube platform, IWF was available by Sunday afternoon. And the production value of those shows was superior. What happened?

I used to think that IWF was an excellent showcase for Wofford football. Recruits watch these episodes, you know. However, the product varies so much now from one week to the next that it reflects poorly on us as a program. What was that Coach Conklin says about defining Wofford's standard of excellence every day? I hope that IWF takes advantage of the bye week to get better.
Oak Grove
True Terrier Fan

Postby boulder3m on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:49 am

We have obviously taken a large step backward in the media world with Wofford Athletics. In this age of social media and easy accessibility we are failing miserably, and eventually it will show in recruiting both athletes and students.
boulder3m
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am

Totally agree Oak and Boulder. Using their announcers for our highlights, seriously? Could not make myself watch it.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby youngterrier on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:50 am

On one hand, I agree with the criticism.

On the other, the drama is a little over the top because the volume of highlights we provide (for free!) is still 5x better than the next best in conference.

Do any of y'all have experience with video editing? It's very tedious. I was always impressed with getting highlights that were 20 minutes long and published the day after with radio highlights in perfect sync.

To do that, you have to go to the film, find your clip, put it in your software, then find the audio clip (which is a lot harder!), Sync it up and repeat. I'm not a video editor, but I have dabbled on occasion for my profession. It can take an hour to get only a little bit of video just right, let alone 20 minutes.

There's a reason why other schools, even at the FBS level don't do what we do. It's time consuming, unprofitable, and I imagine very stressful if you're trying to get it in within 24 hours or so.

So yeah, there have been mistakes and I'd like to see them fixed, but we're still better off than most other teams. Considering only a minority of wofford fans/students/alumni watch this (a small group in itself), we're lucky the video people even do it in the first place.
Study hard, Work Hard, Party Hard, Go Terriers!
youngterrier
True Terrier Fan

Postby Atldog7 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:36 am

Certainly I think we may have all been spoiled by the excellent quality of IWF over the years and I have always been very appreciative to whoever has been doing exemplary work over the years. But something has changed although Week 2 was pretty much back to standard. I know there were some Audio glitches with ESPN the first week and we were on a completely different platform last week. Regardless, I am quite sure it will get worked out and we will be back to that same great quality again soon.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyal-T-dog on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:39 am

I miss Hauser but wish Noble much luck.
I too hope IWF continues to improve and gets back to the same quality level as in previous years.
YT is right regarding the extensive work that goes into the production.
I would like to see IWF available on Sunday or Monday morning.

BUT................

I would sacrifice never watching IWF again for an undefeated SoCon regular season and a high playoff seed!
GO TERRIERS!
Loyal-T-dog
Junior Terrier

Postby WoCo65 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 am

Do any of y'all have experience with video editing? It's very tedious. I was always impressed with getting highlights that were 20 minutes long and published the day after with radio highlights in perfect sync.

To do that, you have to go to the film, find your clip, put it in your software, then find the audio clip (which is a lot harder!), Sync it up and repeat. I'm not a video editor, but I have dabbled on occasion for my profession. It can take an hour to get only a little bit of video just right, let alone 20 minutes.

There's a reason why other schools, even at the FBS level don't do what we do. It's time consuming, unprofitable, and I imagine very stressful if you're trying to get it in within 24 hours or so.

Somebody was obviously doing it for the past couple years no matter how time consuming it might have been and whether or not they were getting paid. I don't know if it was a student or someone within the athletic dept; maybe they are gone by same fashion as Hauser's departure. My perspective is the level of quality needs to be consistent or it doesn't need to be published.
WoCo65
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:51 pm

I haven't seen week 3, but week 2 was very poorly edited. It looked like the video was put together by someone doing this for the first time. Maybe the guys doing it last year graduated. The main problem was that the clips quite frequently missed the beginning of the plays and the audio picked up mid-sentence. With a little experience, these problems can easily be fixed. Hopefully whoever is doing this will learn quickly.

I have used Final Cut Express and Premiere at times for personal use. Both can be difficult to new users, but after a while, both can be used to easily produce professional quality videos.

I still miss the Mike Ayers Show on SportSouth.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier NH Dude on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 pm

IWF in year's past was compiled, produced, etc. by Garrett Hall, among others. Hauser/Henson sang his praises loudly...we can see why. THANKS!!

GH is now providing similar services at Boston College - an opportunity ("too good to pass") that he accepted last month. Met him a couple weeks ago at a Red Sox game. The hours he dedicated to Wofford sports had him sleeping in the office regularly.
#dedication

Hope the new crew reaches similar quality.
Terrier NH Dude
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football